Book Page Garlands Chandelier

$1.00

Here is another project I've come up with to decorate (disguise) the glass and brass dining room light which The Welding Man luvs. But I love to recycle old book pages so this project is a win win for me!
She's very shiny and brassy and almost retro and maybe vintage. I try to decorate this light as often as I can.
I used a craft punch cutter to make hundreds of circles. I used the pages from a water damaged dictionary that was 25 cents at the thrift store. Then I sewed the circles carefully together in strings of 7 and hot glued them to a metal ring the same size as the brass frame on the light fixture.
Hey! I really like how this project is shaping up! The light through the old paper is soft and mellow and the hanging circles give it movement and wonderful different shades of light. I must make more strings of circles and finish this up!!
Before and after. The Welding Man still prefers the glass version, lol! I did have him check how safe it was to have the old paper about 3" from the bulbs. It is safe! We even laid some paper directly on a bulb and watched it for about half an hour and there was no effect. Which makes me glad because I really really like the way this project turned out!

And now I'm thinking that for summer....how would this look with garlands of butterflies cut out of book pages? I'm going to have to try that idea!

• Old book  (thrift store)
  • Circle punch  (craft room)
  • Sewing machine  (craft room)

Ann

• Linda

Love this idea! Can you tell me if the circles are in a single layer when you sew the rows, or are they a double thickness?

• Star

This is the most creative, unique, interesting and enexpensive design I have seen on this site ( just found site 43 months ago). I wish I had seen this when I was living in last apt. The living & dining rooms had round florenctent (so) ceiling fixtures =UGLY. I bought a large white paper, lantern cut it in half, taped the edges I cut, painted it with thin tree branch for the living room and cherry blossoms on the one for the dining room. Hanging them with fishing line (9ft ceilings were a challenge) & duct tape strategically placed. Problem: I sacrificed much less light in the room. Unfortunately had to remove them when I moved & they did not survive the dismount. Your design would have been stunning in that space & still given lots of light. Congratulations!!! Don't stop creating.

• Linda

what size are the circles? Love this idea! Also, one layer of paper or two? Thanks!

• Ann

Thank you Linda! The punches I used ranged from 1 1/4" to 1/34" and most of the paper is one layer. The punches do better cuts on multiple layers, so 4 to 6 pages at a time.

• Kitty McCarty

I have this chandelier (2 tiers long) and have always loved the panels. Also have the free-standing lamp. Any other suggestions how to re-use the panels and the frames, separately? Living in SE TX, I have multiple outdoor living spaces from open pergola to covered, open front porch to enclosed (screen) porch, and I absolutely love glass & bling, so options are wide open.

• Teresa

I have a pair of huge 70's era drum shades that need redoing. Only the frames are left but will remember this idea when I find the perfect bases!!!!

• Lsherbach

I would never have thought to sew them together. Very clever!

• Shi33625264

The idea is brilliant and it will not cost me money and creativity is encouraged. Thank you.