Himmeli Plant / Lantern Hangers
If you haven't noticed, geometric design is all over the place these days! Himmeli designs in particular are not only amazing, but are super easy to make yourself! The great thing is you can make these designs to serve almost any purpose and can make them in a variety of shapes too! All you need for these himmeli hangers is some brass or copper tubing and a bit of metal wire!
We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
-Metal Tubes (Brass / Copper / Etc.) *For a triangle shape you need 2 packs of 3 that measure at 12"
I am going to show you how to make a triangle shaped himmeli hanger, but you can adjust the measurements and pieces accordingly if you choose to make another shape.
STEP 1: Cut the pipe
First you will need to cut out 9 pieces of pipe for the sides of the triangles you will create. Mark your pipe out before you cut it. You will need 3 pieces at 3" and 6 pieces at 4" in length. (You can cut each at 4" too if you wish)
Use your pipe cutter to cut the pipe pieces. This tiny thing that I got on Amazon did the trick.
STEP 2: Cut the wire
Cut a piece of metal wire long enough to feed through all of the 9 pieces you just cut with a good 2-3 inches extra. First feed your 3 3" pieces of pipe onto the wire leaving most of the wire at one end.
STEP 3: Twist the wire
Twist the short end of the wire to the long piece sticking out the other end, securing the pipes together tightly to create a triangular shape.
STEP 4: String the wire
Grab 2 of your 4" pieces of pipe and feed them onto the length of the wire.
Twist the wire around one of the corners of the 3" triangle to create another triangle with the two pieces of pipe that were just added.
Then feed another 2 4" pieces of pipe onto the wire and twist the length of the wire around the next corner of the original 3" triangle.
Then feed the last two 4" pieces onto the wire and twist the wire once again around the last corner of the original triangle to make the 4th and final triangle.
STEP 5: Trimk the wire
Trim the excess wire away from the triangles and feed the ends through the openings in the pipe.
STEP 6: Create the hangers
Open your second pack of pipes and cut a piece of wire for each of the 3 pipes. Make sure each is 2-3" longer than the pipe.
STEP 7: Attach them to the triangle
Twist one end of each of the wires to one of the outer corners of each triangle. Make sure it is securely in place.
Then feed each of the wires through the pipes.
STEP 8: Gather the ends of the wires so that they come to a point and twist them in place.
Make a loop with the remaining wire to hang the himmeli from.
STEP 9: Now you can place a bowl in your himmeli and fill it with whatever you wish!
You could use this for plants, for candles, for trinkets, or just hang it by itself for as an element of design.
You could also just leave it on the table if you don't want to hang it and it still looks pretty great!
- [url=https://www.amazon.com/PRECISION-METALS-8125-3PK1-Tube/dp/B000BPIL9Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1504214702&sr=1-1&keywords=Metal+Tubes&_encoding=UTF8&tag=amandaccreator-20&linkCode=ur2&linkId=447c76339a23d62406504b111aa07fdc&camp=1789&creative=9325]1/8" Brass Tubes[/url] (Amazon)
- [url=https://www.amazon.com/PRECISION-METALS-8125-3PK1-Tube/dp/B000BPIL9Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1504214702&sr=1-1&keywords=Metal+Tubes&_encoding=UTF8&tag=amandaccreator-20&linkCode=ur2&linkId=447c76339a23d62406504b111aa07fdc&camp=1789&creative=9325]Soft Bendable Copper Tubes[/url] (Amazon)
- [url=https://www.amazon.com/50154-Gauge-75ft-Brass-Hobby/dp/B002FYKHIY/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1488459396&sr=8-1&keywords=OOK+50154+28+Gauge,+75ft+Brass+Hobby+Wire&linkCode=ll1&tag=amandaccreator-20&linkId=8af0040c6210284e5ca2ba7ae3b90695]75ft Brass Hobby Wire[/url] (Amazon)
- [url=https://www.amazon.com/GOCHANGE-Cutter-Aluminum-Cutting-8inch-7/dp/B01AYUVCX4/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1488459342&sr=8-1&keywords=GOCHANGE+Mini+Tube+Cutter+Slice+Copper+Aluminum+Tubing+Pipe+Cutting+Tool+3-22mm+1/8inch-7/8inch+OD&linkCode=ll1&tag=amandaccreator-20&linkId=e66c0ad339bde627c3eb76c30a8b4cb8]GOCHANGE Mini Tube Cutter Slice Copper Aluminum Tubing Pipe Cutting Tool[/url] (Amazon)
- [url=https://www.amazon.com/HSA/pages/default?pageId=954A18B6-5048-4B4B-A047-7DDDAF986E69&store_ref=SPONSORED_SEARCH_AC2CEFDVXWVT7PS&_encoding=UTF8&tag=amandaccreator-20&linkCode=ur2&linkId=fa3903d963251bd315fcfe91c66644ac&camp=1789&creative=9325]Work Gloves[/url] (Amazon)
- [url=https://www.amazon.com/TDOK-TD-109-Cutter-Pliers-5-Inch/dp/B06W9NMMNK/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1504214916&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=cutter&psc=1&_encoding=UTF8&tag=amandaccreator-20&linkCode=ur2&linkId=440a411bf808e5e4d7d39fd7ab36aad3&camp=1789&creative=9325]Wire Cutter[/url] (Amazon)
2 of 14 comments