Central Air Units- Do You Pay to Have Them Cleaned?

+1
After paying two hundred dollars for an A/C guy to put Dawn ( yes! I said Dawn dish detergent) into a sprayer, spray it into my outside unit, wait a few minutes, then blast it on my highest water hose settin, I do it every Spring myself! He said, that as we mow or as wind blows dust, dirt and grass can keep the coils from cooling properly. Of course change your inside filters as well!
  • William William on Feb 25, 2017
    Super tip! Never thought of using Dawn! I also took some fiberglass screen material and wrapped it around the outside unit coils with magnets holding it in place. Keeps a lot of stuff from being sucked into the coils. Doesn't impede the air flow. There are a lot of Cottonwood trees around. Terrible with the fuzzies floating around in the summer. Just use a laundry dryer sheet to wipe it down. And YES! Make sure you replace your furnace filter once a month.
  • Cori Widen Cori Widen on Feb 25, 2017
    Also never thought of Dawn!!
  • Hillela G. Hillela G. on Feb 25, 2017
    So good to know, thanks for sharing!
  • Well that part I do myself too. My ex hubby sends his guys out spring and fall to check and clean all my vents and ducts as I live in a hot dusty place and weather permitting, I have every door and window open. Who wants to breathe dust when you turn on the ac? Not me. Plus I have a housefull of hairy pets, need I say more? I try and schedule them first, then the window washer service and carpet cleaning guy. Then for maybe 10 minutes, if I am lucky, stuff is clean . . . 😎