No-Sew Hula Hoop Canopy With Pom Poms

$30

I've always had a thing for tents, tee pees, forts and hideaways. And there is something so magical about a beautiful canopy that drapes over a bed. This version is extremely easy to make using a hula hoop and some sheer curtain panels. I added playful pom pom trim to mine for a special touch. Give it a try and have sweet dreams under your beautiful canopy!

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
Materials I used for this project:
Step 1: Cut your Hula Hoop.

If your hula hoop doesn't disconnect, slice through it in one section only to create an opening.

hr][/hr]

Step 2: Paint your hula hoop.

You will see the hula hoop through the sheer panels, so be sure to paint it if you don't want to see those bright and flashy colors popping through.
Step 3: Glue on Trim.

Ensure you purchase enough pom pom trim for your curtain panels. They will be applied to one edge only, so you'll need two separate strands the same length of the panel. Using fabric glue, carefully apply it the the edge of the first panel. Then, apply is the the edge of the other panel.
Step 4: Thread panels onto the hoop.

Thread the first panel with the trim applied on first, ensuring the trim leads when you put it on the hoop. Next, thread the two panels without the trim onto the hoop. Last, thread the final panel onto the hoop with the trim facing the outside.
Step 5: Tape your Hoop.

Using heavy-duty packing tape, close the opening of your hoop. Tape it back together so it is closed securely and none of your curtain panels can slide off.
Step 6: Cut your String.

Using string or ribbon, cut 4 equal length pieces at least 15" long.
Step 7: Tie your string on.

Tie each piece of string securely onto all four areas of the hoop, ensuring they are evenly placed between the curtain panels. These strings will be used to hang your canopy from the ceiling, so overall balance is key.
Step 8: Meet in the middle.

Take the long pieces of all four strings and meet in the center of the hoop. Tie a knot to connect all four strings together to ensure the canopy hangs evenly and well-balanced.
Step 9: Install Ceiling Hook.

Insert a ceiling hook of some kind where you'd like your canopy to hang from. Be sure to check the weight restrictions!
Step 10: Tie canopy to the ceiling hook.

Once you'd tied the canopy string to the ceiling hook, evenly space out the curtain and create an "opening" between the two panels with the trim on the ends. Now, you have your own special retreat to enjoy! Doesn't it just pretty up my daughter's room?

• Mkc19921735

How wide was your curtain?

• Julien K., Hometalk Team

My Curtain Panels were 60" wide and I used 4 panels to give them a scrunched look.

• Jewellmartin

I ordered long white sheer panels for $3.97 each from Haband.com. I couldn't find inexpensive vey long sheers anywhere near me. But I think $15 per panel is too expensive. For a boy I might use another bright color, or drop cloths, maybe tie-dyed in camouflage. Best wishes 😇
  • Julz

Any suggestions for how to do it for a double bed..?? Great idea and so pretty !

• Debora Kelly

A long time ago I did this using copper tubing. There is a tool you can buy that will allow you to shape the tubing the way you need to.

• Toni

Maybe attach two hoops together so it is more of an oval? I don't know if that would be wide enough but you might be able to find something that you can use like a pool noodle or something like that that isn't super heavy and you can bend it.

• Pepper

Look on Pinterest. There are hundreds of ideas and many adult versions as well. I found a couple that will work for my king size. Good luck: )

• Mandy Brown

You could still use the hula hoop, but I'd use a king-sized sheet or two to give it more fullness and length. Maybe tie the hoop higher to the ceiling? If you want a sheer look they have longer and wider curtain panels.

• Janice

This sounds great! I'm definitely going to try it for my queen size bed.

• Lori Eiden-Kluck

They make bendable pvc pipe sell at Menards etc, can cut it to your own length

• Sherry Siedenburg

I was going to suggest what lori suggested. I believe it's called Pex tubing and you purchase it in the plumbing section . It's sold in bulk similar to chain or rope where they measure and cut it to the length you desire.

• Julz

Thank you ladies for all your brilliant suggestions. .appreciated x

• Robby Treichel

They make larger professional hula hoops that you could use, but the price is more like $40 to $60. They are just made of the same PVC tubing the ladies were talking about above. You can paint it or wrap it with ribbon. About 1 to 1 1/4 inch wide ribbon would work.

• Julien K., Hometalk Team

Great ideas and suggestions here! Way to help out our Hometalk community.

• Rene Longoria

Flexible pvc pipe from a plumbing warehouse, cut to suit

• NancyMaria

Drip line hose, everywhere during the summer. My grandfather made us hula-hoops out of it when we were little & he used an 1 inch piece of dowel to piece ends together.

• Diane

Buy narrow pvc plumbers pipe. Use a heat gun to soften. Voila! Or use 4 straight lengths and 90 degree joins.
  • Sara

I love your paint color on the walls with the pink. Do you know the name of your paint color?

• Julien K., Hometalk Team

Hi Sara, Aw thank you! Unfortunately I don't know the name, as it's a rental house and my landlord painted the color. It's almost a light blue-grey, but appears purple in some lights.

• Karen Ballou

I have a nice paint color in my bedroom from Sherwin-Williams, it's called Wishful Blue, I had them use half the tint, and it came out looking like a light lavender color. A blue color similar to this one is Mountain Air or Ski Slope from Sherwin-Williams.

• HisRib

Love the canopy! I want to make one to use for outdoor "bath" when tent camping and hang it from a tree! Also love the pretty "wall flowers", did you make them also? Are they made of paper?
    • Marta Rebolledo-Harrington

For camp privacy, try an upside down umbrella and a shower curtain. Using the "buttonholes" in the shower curtain, place curtain over each rib end of the umbrella and secure it with a tie wrap. Hang the umbrellacurtain but the handle from a tree or other suitable place.

• Marilyn Hickey

Great idea!!
    • 66n22646058

Nice idea
    • NancyMaria

That's a "Help from Heloise" hint. I have loved her books for 35 years.
  • Kimberly Horn

Did you make the flower decor on the wall as well? if so how did you do those.
  • LiZa Sims

When may I move in? You'll love my cat!
    • Barb in Texas

Only one?
    • Roxie

my 2 little cow dogs will make short work of the cat, I'll bet and I know so many stories from my long and colorful life, so far, that you will NOT miss her kitty, at all...
    • Roxie

I really don't want to move to Texas, tho, so maybe you'll come visit me in Wyoming sometime, ok?
  • Judi Sobol

Can I also use this concept to make sheer curtains for my granddaughters room?
    • Hazel

You got to be kidding with this question.
    • Renee Vlna

how old is your granddaughter. I would not recommend this for anyone under 5. Kids are mischievous out of nature. They might tend to swing on them as vines or end up with a panel wrapped around their neck and choking.
    • Sue28039999

If you need a curved curtain rod for shower or window and cannot find one locally, you might try your local big box building supply store and ask about the various kinds of flexible pipe available.
    • Cynthia H

I'm sure you could add the trim for curtains as explained. A curved rod would also work great for windows. I'm sure it would be very pretty Judi!

• Dan25561787

Could you use like maybe four or so to make a big enough ring to enclose a larger bed like a queen
    • Hazel

Yes
    • Kim Johnson

The curvature of the hula hoop wouldn't change just by adding more pieces. so it wouldn't become just a larger circle.
    • San24217368

no, the hula hoop rings are not flexible enough to attach 4 in a larger ring.
    • Kim

PVC could maybe work. I don't know what it all comes in for shapes so it may not be perfectly round. Maybe a square would work.
    • Toi Payne

you can use two hoops
    • Earlene

You might be able to use pex pipe (the white kind) to make a larger circle.
      Lowes and Home Depot would have it
    • Paula Aker Porath

I think you could still use the hula hoop, you would just need to change the length of your material to flow to the floor & center it over your bed. Then drape it around the sides of your bed.
    • Sandie Vaccaro

I'm thinking perhaps 2 curved shower curtain rods joined end to end. The oblong created would be wide enough for queen/king beds, in my mind anyway.
    • Carey

Actually, you can do the same thing with one hula hoop for any size bed. You only need a longer curtain length and the choose placement so that it works to hang the front edges of the curtains where you want them to hang, and use more panels to provide the fullness desired to create the look that you want.

• Malicity D'Obscura

You can use hose from a big box store. PEX lines are too flexible, so you want to use the black hose. Or cut up old garden hose. Or use wire and wrap with some batting. Or a wreath form, or pool noodle. Think outside the hoop!
    • Martha McKnight

I saw this years ago on the dollar tree page .
      It’s a Great idea .
    • TJ Deborah

Hula Hoops come in different sizes for different ages. I believe one hoop of any size would be what you would want to use. To make up for the added area of the bed I would increase the number of sheers and the length. This has been a great DIY for weddings to add fabric drapes to venues.
    • Janet

It will make a difference if your bed is in the open , or one side is up against the wall , or etc .
    • Deborah

You can use PVC pipe.

• Deanna

That's exactly what I would do. Use colorful curtain panels, maybe multiple colors. I might try this with two or three hula hoops. I'm sure they can be connected. Also big pom poms on the bottom of curtains.

• Michelle Joiner

Use larger hula hoop. They are joined together with a piece of round wood stuck in each end with staple. Open 2 hoops then reconnect the same way they were originally. Close final opening after sliding curtains on.

Then follow the original instructions

• Benjamin

I bet there are several queens who have already tried this... lol  🌈

• Fly

How do you wash it?
    • Dl.5660408

Because the hoop is just taped it would be easy to slice through the tape to remove the curtains. Or, you could just do what my mom used to do before sheers could be machine washed and dunk them in slightly soapy water, rinse well, and hang to dry.
    • Fly

I do like the dunking part!
    • Michelle Joiner

Open hoops where joined take curtains off, wash and dry in machines. Replace like originally done.

Shouldn’t need to do more then once a year.

• Julie

I know this was asked in one of the above questions but I didn’t see an answer, so I’m going to double check with you .😉 Is there any chance that you made those pretty flowers on the wall and if so, will you share the DIY with us or give us a link to who did create them or where to buy them?

thanks! 😉