Storage Bin to Toy Box

Do you have one of those plastic storage bins lying around? You know, the ones we use for moving, storing decorations and tucking away clutter? I've found another great use for these bins - a toy box! Create a playful toy box with a bin, fabric and a little glue.

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

SUPPLIES:

- Plastic Storage bin with a lid (I had mine lying around the house, but you can purchase one on Amazon.)

- Fabric (I used a curtain panel)

- Krylon Spray Adhesive

- Hot glue gun and sticks

- Scissors

- Wood Fence Post Caps ( x 4)

- Lock Nuts ( x 4)

- Wooden Letters (optional)

This is the plastic storage bin. I'm sure you have one of these in your home. If not,  Amazon carries a whole selection you can use for this project.

Step 1: Measure and iron your fabric

It's best to first iron your fabric so you don't have any wrinkles. Then measure and cut it out according to the size of your bin. Make sure to cut one piece of fabric per side. Leave about an extra inch on each piece.

Step 2: Measure & Cut.

Cut out one piece of fabric per side (including bottom and box lid). Leave about an extra inch on each piece.

Step 3: Glue the fabric to the bin

Using your spray adhesive, spray the glue on one side of the bin. Let it dry until it's tacky and clear. Only spray one side at a time. I love this spray adhesive. It leaves a clear and even coating of glue. You can buy the same kind on Amazon. 

Apply the first fabric piece onto your tacky glued surface. Smooth out any bumps and lumps and follow the edges of the bin. Continue gluing and apply your fabric to each side of the bin.

Step 4: Add fabric to the bottom of the bin & your lid.

Using the same method as above, apply the fabric pieces to the bottom of the bin and the lid. You don't have to do the bottom, but I think this makes the bin look nicer.

Don't forget to cover your bin lid too!

Step 5: Clean up the edges.

Fold under any raw edges of your fabric pieces. Using your hot glue gun, adhere the folded edge to the bin. Continue tucking and gluing all four sides of your bin, as well as the bottom and the bin lid. This makes your bin look much cleaner. I don't know about you, but I use my glue gun for almost everything. It works so quickly, and has so many great uses. It's a staple in my home. You can buy this great one here on Amazon.

Step 6: Make holes at the bottom of your bin

Using a drill or a screwdriver head, poke one hole per corner into your plastic bin. These are the holes your fence post end caps will be going into, so you need to ensure the holes are large enough for your end cap screws. It might take a bit of effort to cut through the plastic, but it shouldn't be too hard.

Step 7: Screw in your end caps.

Grab those cute little feet and place one on each corner above the hole you created. If you want, you can paint the caps to match the fabric of your bin, but I liked the natural wood look, so I kept them the way they are.

Then flip your bin over and screw one lock nut onto each of the end cap bits. Tighten each one firmly, so your legs are stable and not wobbly.

Step 8: Embellish with wood letters

This step is completely optional, but I chose to add some wooden letters to the front of the bin with hot glue. I'm so thrilled with the end result, and I can't believe how much stuff actually fits in the bin. Now I have a place to store all of my kids' toys, and it looks nice, too!

• <a href="https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_ss_tl?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=plastic+storage+bin&linkCode=ll2&tag=ctbr-julien27907212-20&linkId=c6375e903de43475558c9632de306fd5" class="href-bb-tag" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Plastic Storage Bin</a>  (Amazon)
  • Fabric Curtain Panel  (Marshalls)
  • Fence Post End Caps  (Home Depot)

• Judy Thurston

Do i have to use a fabric Curtain Panel and Post end caps on them? Because i don't own a glue gun? Do you have any suggestions if i don't have a glue gun or Post end posts? Please Reply back ASAP! Thank-You!

• Antinia Shirley

Hi Judy, thanks for the pool noodle idea!! My 2 year old niece loves to play in boxes and I’d never thought of your idea without your post...smart lady!!

• Joanna

I really like this. I wanted to know how you were able to cover the lid and still make it fit on top? Does the fabric get turned under so you glue the seam on the inside of the lid or do you just cut it and then turn it under on the outside and glue it so the edges/seams look neat?
  • Ruth Bolles

Where did you get that particular curtain panel? I love the pattern.

• Rena shirk

One of the best ideas ive seen so far...an has other creative possibilities...thanku so much!

• Tina

Too much bother, I took mine outside, sandpapered with very fine sandpaper, cleaned and sprayed with a can of paint, got a stencil of a bear, did that after the base paint dried and whoo, gorgeous looking bin! Did not bother about legs as the little one just wants to drag it across my floors and he just tips it if he wants to sit in it so safer! Job done, grandma can now have her coffee, well deserved, hahahaha