Hometalk HQ: What is your biggest DIY fail and what did you learn?

+9
Guaranteed, some of the answers in this video will make you laugh! Let’s face it, DIYing doesn’t always go so smoothly… Do you have a story of something that didn’t go as planned? Share your DIY fail and what you learned from your experience in the comments below! We can all get a laugh!
When have you tried a project that has flopped?
What did you learn from it?
What do you want others to know when they try?
What are you going to do differently next time?

• Shawna Bailey Shawna Bailey on Feb 26, 2017
    Love it Joy!

• Hillela G. Hillela G. on Feb 27, 2017
    Awesome! My biggest DIY fail was when I had my husband holding the ladder in place when we were painting our room, and I accidentally dripped paint into his eye....woops!!! A bit of panic, lots of flushing with water later, we learned to not look up when the person on the ladder has a roller full of paint

• Birdz of a Feather Birdz of a Feather on Feb 27, 2017
    When I renovated my first house, I accidentally shocked myself when I took down the stove fan. ALWAYS turn off the electricity at the panel BEFORE you start pulling things apart!

• Tammy Hawkins Tammy Hawkins on Feb 27, 2017
    I have had too many over the years. The really bad ones I threw away and learned to put THAT THOUGHT out of my mind! I think the main thing that I learned was to continually visualize to the end. I have started projects that I 'thought' were figured out but upon getting into them, this, that, and the other thing, just didn't work. Now, I may think about a project for weeks or even months before starting it, thinking about each possible detail right to the finish. My latest projects have been much better since doing that. I am getting ready to start a new project using a pattern, picture frames and solar string lights inside the house...Fail? Time will tell but I will post it when finished because I think this one is going to be a KEEPER!

• See 2 previous
    • Birdz of a Feather Birdz of a Feather on Mar 02, 2017
      My husband is very much of the mentality of 'lets just start and get it done'. I'm the one who likes to plan every detail. I guess between the two of us, it somehow all works out in the end! But definitely, no matter how much you plan, or how much experience you have, there's always going to be a learning curve! I think the best things can come out of those 'fails', because it makes you try harder the next time.

• Dlw7601127 Dlw7601127 on Mar 03, 2017
    In the 70s I wallpapered a small bathroom with contact paper, it's fine until you want to take it down. I'll never do that again.

• Margie Margie on Mar 04, 2017
      It seems like using contact paper on walls and cabinet surfaces is all the rage, but removing it is not an easy task. The adhesive is made to last forever.

• Margie Margie on Mar 04, 2017
    I remember my foot being in a can of paint once!