Pool Noodle Photo Frames

$10

Gallery walls are a great way to showcase your favorite photos, artwork and graphics. They are constantly on-trend and I've always wanted one in my own home. But, with three little kids running around and not enough time to properly hang them securely, I worry about one of the heavy, glass paned frames crashing down onto someone. Alas, this great idea for picture frames made out of pool noodles allows me to create safer versions in ANY custom size, color or style. Cover them with fun contact paper prints, and you've got a budget-friendly photo frame in no time!

Love this project? You can buy your own by clicking the link below. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
pool noodle photo frames, pool designs

SUPPLIES:

- Pool Noodle (I'm sure you can find this at any store in the summer, but if no one is selling them yet, you can order on Amazon.)

- Hack Saw

- Miter box (if you don't have a miter box, I recommend you get one, they make perfect angled cuts.)

- Tape Measure

- Hot Glue Gun

- Glue sticks

- Scissors

- Sharpie Marker

- Scotch Tape

pool noodle photo frames, pool designs

Step 1: Measure & Mark.

Determine what size frame you would like to make. Measure 2" down from the top of your miter box and mark it. It is very easy for your noodle to roll while cutting, so these lines will act as a reference point to keep your noodle straight. Continue marking 2" down across the entire length of your pool noodle.

pool noodle photo frames, pool designs

Step 2: Cut your pool noodle.

You will be cutting four different pieces to create a photo frame. Each piece will have angled cuts on either end. One the first end, cut a 45-degree angle. This is why a miter box is so useful. There is no way I would be able to get those sharp, angled cuts without one

pool noodle photo frames, pool designs

Step 3: Cut the other side.

Slide your noodle down and make another 45-degree angle cut going in the opposite direction. Continue doing this until you have four piece to form the photo frame. Note: If you are making a larger frame, you may need to use more than one pool noodle.

pool noodle photo frames, pool designs

Step 4: Cut your contact paper
Cut a piece of contact paper large enough to wrap around your first noodle piece.

pool noodle photo frames, pool designs

Step 5: Roll and stick the piece of contact paper around your first piece. Be sure to flatten out any bubbles or wrinkles as you go along.

pool noodle photo frames, pool designs

Step 6: Trim the contact paper
Cut around the ends of the your first piece. Leave a small amount of overhang (1/2cm) so the contact paper hides the pool noodle when all of your pieces are glued together.

pool noodle photo frames, pool designs

Your pool noodle should look like this once it's wrapped and cut! Do this for all four pieces of your pool noodle.

pool noodle photo frames, pool designs

All four pieces of your pool noodle will look like this when finished.

pool noodle photo frames, pool designs

Step 7: Align & Glue your pieces together.

Using your hot glue gun, carefully glue your pieces together.

pool noodle photo frames, pool designs

Step 8: Add your photo to the back.

These pool noodle frames have some major thickness to them, so I chose to tape my photo onto the backing of the frame using scotch tape. If you are feeling more adventurous, you can play around with wedging the photo within the middle of the frame. If it's the right size, it should stay well!

pool noodle photo frames, pool designs

Step 9: Hang it up!

Flip it over and view your beautiful finished product! So light-weight and easy to handle. When it comes to hanging, you can poke a hole right into the backing (good ol' soft foam) of your frame and hang it onto a nail in the wall. Or, if you'd like a more damage-free option, use 3M Command strips for simple hanging.

pool noodle photo frames, pool designs

Here is my mini-gallery wall. I plan on adding more to it over time, but this is a great start! I loved mixing the faux wood contact paper with their stainless steel version. They add the perfect amount of impact in our family room!

• <a href="https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_ss_tl?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=wood+contact+paper&rh=i:aps,k:wood+contact+paper&linkCode=ll2&tag=ctbr-julien27932089-20&linkId=99437697f252dde2d96e6975a2a13f5a" class="href-bb-tag" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Contact paper</a>  (Amazon)
  • Hack Saw  (Home Depot)
  • <a href="https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-19-800-Storage-12-Inch-Backsaw/dp/B00009OYG9/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1488788033&sr=8-2&keywords=miter+box&linkCode=ll1&tag=ctbr-julien27932089-20&linkId=5f2257b25cc066eedd7befcf240717fa" class="href-bb-tag" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Miter Box</a>  (Amazon)

• Shawnda

Wouldn't it look better if you cut the noodle in half lengthwise? I think I would prefer it. Then the focus is on the picture and not the frame.

• M Brent P

I love this idea, but I thought why not cut a slit in the center of the noodle and slip the picture in there. Then I remembered the wonderful pre-slit & pre-glued pipe insulators (any big box building store), not quite as large as pool noodles, but being careful to have the slit to the inside when making your angle cuts would let you still wrap the contact paper and have pre-cut place for the picture. Can't wait to try this with grandkids to frame pictures for Mom and Dad's Day Gifts.
  • M

why didn't you cut the pool noodle in half lengthwise so it would set flush with the wall ?

• Carol Dobbelare

Why didn't you cut the noodles in half longwise?

• Vivian

Great idea for odd shapes and sizes!
  • Debre

I am going to make a very big frame and hang it on my garage behind my flowers.