Abbey D
Abbey D
  • Delaware, OH

DIY Coastal Planked Wall

We started out with a dingy, dark tan half bathroom painted by the previous owners. We knew we wanted to do something unique with the space and something that would brighten it up. Today I want to show you how we turned our bathroom into a fun room with my DIY Coastal Planked Wall tutorial using Plaid Crafts' FolkArt Milk Paint.

diy coastal planked wall

Here's the BEFORE when my husband started painting the walls. The dark tan is shown in the picture and we started by painting the walls Alabaster White.

diy coastal planked wall

We started by using tongue and groove unfinished wood planking and cutting it to our wall's 36" width. From there, we nailed them onto the wall, then came the fun part of painting.

diy coastal planked wall

I detailed more about my choice of painting on my blog, but I wanted to create a weathered look so I mixed different colors and textures on the wall using different FolkArt Paints.

diy coastal planked wall

I worked down the wall one plank at a time, sometimes skipping a few down to use the same color again.

diy coastal planked wall

The FolkArt Milk Paint is the paint that I used and really love...it goes on like a stain, but with a nice milky finish and GREAT colors!

diy coastal planked wall

And here's the finished product!

Stop by my blog to see ALL the details and my tips on making this project easier and successful!
Abbey D

• Valerie DePonty

Wouldn't it be easier to paint the planks before putting them up on the wall?

• Janelle Anne Piazza

I always do the same, i gwt overly excited and start usually backwards lol I,usually get everything right at the end . if I dont thats when I call in the boyfriend. I'm actually thinking of doing this in the same place as you . I started doing a,beachy theme and then coastal appeared in my shelving by using cleats to hold the towels. I'm a DIY and design on a quarter lol. That's for the info on thw milk paint!

• Monica

looks like a pier- love it! Would look great on a walkway, hallway, deck, etc!

• Dawn Vecchiarino

Would adding the paint to a glaze make it more durable?

• Le'

That's the size of my husbands bathroom...It's too small to really decorate. I will be copying your back wall.....Good on you..Le'

• Granny sparkle

It seems wasted at the back of a toilet where you may very likely need to clean the odd urine splash as it is a mans bathroom. However, this would be great in a more open space like a living room or bedroom. The colours are excellent choices.