Spring Succulents for the Front Door

Is your front door ready for spring?

Here's the truth: Until last week, mine wasn't. The door has been totally bare since I took down the Christmas decor nearly two months ago.

With a thrift store find that was hanging around in my stash and a few gorgeous faux succulents, I decked my door for spring in less than an afternoon!

spring succulents for the front door, doors, flowers, gardening, succulents

It started with a $3 tin hanging basket I found at the thrift store a few months ago. It needed some TLC, but had plenty of potential. I thought it would be nice for a spring door hanger filled with some pastel blooms and delicate ribbons.

Then...I wandered into the floral department at Hobby Lobby one day and laid eyes on their collection of succulents.

That's when those pastel plans vanished.

Those bright green and rich burgundy colors snagged me and I decided they'd make the perfect floral element to bring spring to my front door.

The tin basket definitely needed some work, so I gave it my favored treatment of paint - two coats of Rustoleum white. It made an immediate difference. Don't you just love how paint does that?

Next, I dry brushed a few spring colors onto the embossed vines and blooms. It really brought out the details without overpowering. If you aren't familiar with dry brushing, visit the blog for the easy details.

The floral foam was just a bit too long to fit the opening, so I gave it a little trimming with a sharp knife - easy peasy.

I gave it just enough of a trim to maintain a tight fit.

Finally, the fun part: adding the succulents (but really...the whole project was fun  )

I used the same arranging technique I used for the Christmas Door decor. Starting with the focal plant in the center, I added the others, balancing them on each side. Finally, I added some moss to fill in the gaps, cover the foam that was still showing, and to add a little more interest.

Aren't those succulents gorgeous? I usually prefer live plants over artificial, but these are just perfect for a covered porch and will stay beautiful all season long.

Now my door is officially "spring ready". I hung it using my favorite hanging hook. It's perfect for glass or metal doors that can't accept a hole. Visit the blog for details.

I loved this project for so many reasons, but mostly because it was so quick and easy. I don't know about you, but I don't have time for complicated and time-consuming projects, yet love working with my hands to make something new. This one fit the bill!

• Tin hanging basket  (Thrift Store)
  • Rustoleum white spray paint  (Wal-Mart)
  • DecoArt craft paint: Yellow, Burgundy, & Green  (Hobby Lobby)
To Work With My Hands

• Shannon

I have this exact hanging basket I found at goodwill. I want to add real succulents what do you recommend for the bottom so it holds moisture for the live plants

• To Work With My Hands

Hi Shannon! Well, I've only used faux succulents in mine, but I have grown succulents indoors in a repurposed planter (you can see that project here: http://www.toworkwithmyhands.com/2016/06/succulent-planter-thrift-store-upcycle.html). Here's what I'd suggest trying: first, fill the bottom with newspaper or shipping peanuts - anything that would take up space, yet be lightweight. Over this add a layer of soil (there's a specially formulated soil that works best for succulents. Look for cactus/citrus potting mix) - maybe 3 or 4 inches, and fill in with succulents. You'll need to make sure they get plenty of sunlight. They won't need a lot of water, but they will need some, so you may want to drill some small holes in the back near the bottom for drainage. Hope this helps!

• Judi Thompson

Can't I do something like this for my patio. I live in Texas and succulents 💘 the weather. I love the tin. So very cute. I love to paint! But really love live plants.

• To Work With My Hands

I'm sure you could. Have you seen the potting mix suited for succulents? The bag I use is for citrus and cactus. I think I found it at Home Depot. I'd recommend you definitely use a good soil and make sure there's drainage. I'd love to hear how it goes for you!

• Judy Lee

Would like the name of the hooks please.

• To Work With My Hands

Hi Judy,

The hook is a Gecko Tech Reusable Hook. It's perfect for hanging from glass doors, and stays put! If you want to take it down, just slide your fingernail or a thin flat object under the edge (like a flat screwdriver) and it lifts right off. I LOVE this hook!

You can find it on Amazon: https://amzn.to/2ICTiy6 (affiliate link).

• Astridvella

Hi, This is so pretty and practical too since succulents survive long. Still, you water the flower foam as surely they don't survive without some water?

Can you tell me more about "I hung it using my favorite hanging hook. It's perfect for glass or metal doors that can't accept a hole."I've tried sucker hooks but they always seem to lose their suction after a while, and of course they can only be used on a perfectly smooth surface, no textures.

Thanks,

Astrid
    • To Work With My Hands

No, these succulents are faux, so they need no water. :) The hanger is wonderful! The glass where I hang it is smooth though. It's been hanging for over six months without fail.

• Astridvella

Oh my, I never heard of faux succulents!