Error loading player:
No playable sources found

Faux Wood Grain Paint Technique

$20

Ok you guys... if you haven't heard of this wood graining tool yet, prepare for your mind to be blown! Sometimes we paint over wood, but sometimes we want our plastic/laminate furniture to have a wood grain look to it, right? This is the trick to getting it! You can make great looking wood grain and natural looking knots with some paint and a wood graining tool. It is super easy to use and adds a nice
faux wood grain paint technique

Click on the links to get the materials:
-Wood Graining tool - this is the trick. It doesn't cost much at all, and it super fun to use.
-Top Coat Color Paint (not pictured above)

faux wood grain paint technique

STEP 1: Sand down your piece of furniture
Grab whatever piece of furniture you want to paint and start sanding it down. Do this on every piece of furniture you want to paint, even if it's laminate; it preps the surface for painting.

faux wood grain paint technique

STEP 2: Clean off the area
Wipe down any dust caused by sanding the item.

faux wood grain paint technique

STEP 3: Paint a base coat (the grain color)
Here is where you can begin customizing your piece. First you will be laying down a base coat in the color of your choice. This will be the underlying color of the grain. You can use any color you want! Be sure to use a paint that has primer in it so that it adheres to the surface well.

faux wood grain paint technique

STEP 4: Paint the top coat with glaze
Once the base coat has dried it is time to mix the top paint layer. You can also use whatever color you choose for the top coat. I decided to give a slightly white washed feel so I used white paint. First pour a bit of white paint into a cup or bowl.

faux wood grain paint technique

Then mix in a clear glaze. You need a glaze top for the technique to work. Glaze takes longer to dry and gives you time to create the grain texture. Mix the paint and glaze at a ration of 1:4. (One part paint to 4 parts glaze).

faux wood grain paint technique

I decided the white was too stark in contrast to the dark gray so I decided to add a bit of the original color to make a lighter gray as the top coat color.

faux wood grain paint technique

STEP 5: Paint the furniture with the top coat
Brush a layer of your paint and glaze mix on top of the base coat. Do this with a dry bristle brush making sure it isn't super thick or saturated.

faux wood grain paint technique

STEP 6: Use the wood graining tool
Grab your handy-dandy and awesome wood graining tool (I got mine on Amazon, and it worked perfectly) and drag one side through the glaze/paint mix. This will really just create some lines through the paint.

faux wood grain paint technique

Now is the fun part! Using your wood grain tool drag the curved edge through the glaze/paint mixture wobbling it back and forth as you go to create the grains. Don't wobble it too much or it will look unnatural. Once your done, and happy with how it looks, let it dry.

This wood graining tool also comes with a small piece that helps get in the smaller nooks and crannies of the drawer.

faux wood grain paint technique

Here is a before and after of the piece I painted. The drawers on the right were not touched because I'm not going to use them.

faux wood grain paint technique

Look at all that grain! I think I may have gone a bit overboard, but it is so fun to watch the grain come to life!

The wood graining tool I bought came with a small piece as well that helped to get in the smaller nooks and crannies of the drawer. I would highly suggest getting one that has the same.

faux wood grain paint technique

This thing really looks like a stained piece of wood. It is actually a laminate covered particle board piece, so it's pretty impressive!
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 18, 2018 10:11 PM - More info

• KD Redlowske

I love it! However, I don't see how you did those fancy swirls on the the top?

• Swe6182874

Can this be done on kitchen cabinets ?

• Patty

could this also be done on the lower 1/2 of a wall to look like wains coating?

• The Snarky Princess

I would think the most important thing is to make sure you aren't using paint that is too thin it would drip since it is going to be painted while vertical. (Those darn walls not wanting to let you turn them on their side) that would look absolutely beautiful I bet!