Vintage Soda Bottle Lamp

The kitchen at our lake cottage is decorated in a retro style. I made vintage bottle cap knobs, we have vintage soda bottles on display, vintage soda signs, etc. I wanted to create a small accent light to add to the kitchen - and the etchall® Ligthen Up kit was the perfect solution. I could use one of our vintage bottles as the base, and add some “bottle caps” to the shade, along with some metallic fabric to mimic the chrome on some of our other retro kitchen accessories.

Print off vintage soda bottle cap images (I found mine on various sources on the internet - just copied and pasted to resize as needed to print).  Cut out each cap. 

Trace template from Lighten Up Kit onto silver metallic Oly*Fun fabric.  Cut out.

Arrange bottle caps on silver fabric and use 3-in-1 Adhesive to mount.  

Trace top of screw on lid onto silver fabric and cut out, mount to top of lid.

Mount red ribbon to outer edge of lid.  

Insert batteries, screw lid to top of shade.  Click button on inside and set lamp shade on top of vintage bottle and you have a cute retro accent lamp.  This would also make a fun night light. 

• Etchall® Lighten Up Kit  (www.etchall.com)
  • Fairfield® Oly*Fun™ - Silver Metallic  (www.fairfieldworld.com)
  • Beacon 3-in-1 Adhesive™  (www.beaconadhesives.com)

Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
Cindi McGee

• M
    M

that's really neat! but where does the screw-on lid come from?----how does that metallic covered plastic shade piece keep from falling down?----i understand that the lid is suppose to hold it on ----on to what????

• Cindi McGee
      Cindi McGee

It's a kit from etchall - called a "lighten up kit" it's a somewhat clear plastic shade, the batteries get inserted in the top, which is where the lid screws back on. The kit comes with a clear template that you can trace onto whatever you are covering the shade with. The metallic paper fabric shade literally rests on top of the plastic shade. It is pressure operated, there is a button on the bottom you push and then it will come on if it is set onto something. If you push the button off it won't light when setting on the object (in this case, the bottle). I hope that makes sense. There is a photo of the kit above in the post. :)

• Cindi McGee
    Cindi McGee

So glad you like it :) Would love to see your version!
  • Jean C Andrews
    Jean C Andrews

Love, love, love it! I have three vintage bottles and this will make a cute night light. Gotta try this!