How to Set up Your Own Tiny Garden in 7 Easy Steps

$10

Container gardening has become increasingly popular in recent years, and with good reason: it is cost-effective, water-wise, space efficient and super easy! Plants, and especially veggies, are happy to grow in pretty much anything, whether it’s a bucket or a bag. You really don’t need a lot of space for it either. As long as you have a sunny spot, you can grow something. Let’s take you through the steps to setting up your own small garden.
Step 1: Find a suitable container

Veggies are happy to grow in pretty much anything, from a bucket or old wheelbarrow to a compost bag. A container garden is the perfect solution for a small garden because you can move it easily and it hardly requires any maintenance apart from watering.
I had an old metal baby bath that seemed the perfect size for a herb garden by the kitchen door.

Step 2: Ensure good drainage

It is a common misconception that you should put gravel or small stones in the bottom of a container to assist with drainage. A few old kitchen sponges in the bottom will help water drain sufficiently as well as keep moisture in the soil for longer. This is also a great way to recycle!

Step 3: Add water funnels

This is such a clever addition to your container garden that you will want to add it to every pot you have! See the full instructions for the PVC water funnels here.

Step 4 : Fill with potting soil

Make sure that you get great quality, certified weed-free potting soil to fill your container with. Throw the potting soil on top of the sponges, and mix with compost to ensure good, healthy soil for your plants and seedlings.

Step 5: Give things a bit of a boost

See what gave my tiny garden the necessary boost here!

Step 6+7: Plant and Water

Plant your seedlings or established plants. Fill up the funnels and water well all around the container without allowing water to stand on the surface of the soil.

Maintain a healthy watering schedule and watch your tiny garden flourish!

Click on the link below for the full project with pro tips.

Happy tiny gardening!

x Germarie

Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
Homeology.co.za

• Victoria Hiers

Love it! How did you cap the PVC?

• Jeanne

Buy a PVC carat the HD or Lowes in your area.

• Sarahritter

so how does the water drain out when it rains?

• Gabrielle Falk

Would add drainage holes, anyway to the bottom of the container, as well as holes down the length of the pipe/s. And raise the garden up slightly, with pot 'feet', which only raises the height a few inches. To assist with drainage. After a while, wouldn't the sponges disintegrate? If you wanted to add new sponges, you'dd have to dig out the whole garden. I've dbeen gardening for far too long, and I really cannot see any advantage to using spongess. However, each to their own. Perhaps lower the height of the water pipes, so they are not so obvious.

• Stolzy

Did you still put holes in the bottom to drain?

Did you leave the PVC open on both ends or did you put holes in it?

• Homeology.co.za

My container had some leaks in the bottom so it drains by itself ;-) But, yes, it is advisable to make sure that your container drains properly by adding some holes to the base. And the PVC pipes are open top and bottom, and I have drilled holes randomly along the full length. Hope that helps! Germarie

• Jeanne

I also use cut up old pool noodles for the sponge stuff at the bottom - especially in bigger pots - less potting soiled great fro drainage. I cut them circles - any 1/2 " in thickness, little wedges - all according to the size of my pots. Great for drainage in succulents too.

• Doreen Kennedy

The pvc pipes are great for watering plant roots. I usually use 2 liter pop bottles. I think I like the look of your pvc better.