Turning a Cabinet Into a Tilt Out Trashcan

We had a second extra cabinet (an upper that we removed when taking down a wall) and decided to transform it into a tilt out trashcan. This was the much needed dog-proofing that our kitchen needed!
We started with a similar process with our open shelving. The upper cabinets were about 12 inches taller than the lowers needed to me. So, we cut the tops off, cut off 12 inches, then reattached the tops (our new counters will rest on here when they are installed)
We had to build a new door to fit the cabinet. We built an L shape using 2 panels and added 2 small diagonal support braces. This was all wood glued, screwed, then the screw holes caulked.
Hinges screwed into the bottom of the door and into the base of the cabinet.
We also added some chain (this was actually scraps from a hanging light designed for high ceilings) so that the door cannot open too far. This is optional but otherwise the door opens REALLY far.
Door closed
Door open! Our dog hasn't figure out how to get in yet which is a win in my book.

• Wood boards
  • White paint
  • Hinges (2)

30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
Morgan McBride

• Cheryl
    Cheryl

I love this idea, but like quick access while cooking. Will it stay open by itself?
    • Bananas!
      Bananas!

Love it! we're remodeling our kitchen, just moving cabinets around. I'm going to lose my trash cupboard that presently pulls out. Dog.....yikes! he's a scavenger! so love this idea. I'm considering giving up half of under my sink and using the existing door but moving the hings from the side, to the bottom, similar to yours. The chain is brilliant. I was thinking of leather pieces, but chain is cheap and available everywhere (probably including in our work room too!) Wondering if anyone has attempted this idea, the existing cabinet that will tilt instead of swinging.....if you have, would you share any issues you had when doing it so I can learn from your boo boos??