Jenni Ingram
Jenni Ingram
  • Wexford, PA

BLUSH VANITY & CUSTOM COLOR MIXING

$200

Have you noticed blush pink is super popular right now?!? When you are selecting a new color for painted furniture you are NOT limited to the color chart. You can mix custom colors to your heart's content! Here are my tips for mixing custom paint colors...

blush vanity custom color mixing, bathroom ideas

At first I was thinking this piece needed a dark top and base - a typical farmhouse look. But instead, I changed it up and made a gorgeous custom Blush pink color. 

Here is the before vanity. It looked like someone had already started to work on it - but got a little overwhelmed and quit. The mirror was missing, and someone had tried to start to remove the veneer, unfortunately leaving deep gouges in the wood. So I decided I had to make a new top.  My full blog post has all the details on how I rebuilt the top with pine.

To mix your own colors, first use a clean container (save those kitchen jars) and START WITH YOUR LIGHTEST COLOR. I started this mix with favorite antique white - pouring about 1/2 cup. (All paint brands and color names are listed in my full blog post)

To learn more about how to choose the PERFECT paint color for your piece, so you can get the professional look you want, join our upcoming workshop!

Then slowly ADD YOUR DARKER COLORS. Start with just a tablespoon at a time. The dark colors are so saturated, it goes a lot farther than you may think. Isn't this red milk paint luxe and bold!?!

MIX IT UP. I just use a popsicle stick (or paint stick) to mix the paint together. No special tools needed. 

And here is my final Beautiful Blush color ...

All the details on this piece are just lovely, accented with just a little distressing.

My rebuilt finished top turned out beautiful too with a coat of water-based stain and top coat. Again those details are in my full blog post, - just click the the link below.

I hope this blush project gives you confidence to mix your own custom colors.

If you'd like more furniture flips and paint color inspiration, subscribe to my weekly blog here. Thank you!

• Paint
  • Container
  • Paint stick

Jenni Ingram

• Meredith

I love the color! Did you make chalk paint with this or did you just prime the piece first? What did you seal it with? Thanks!

• Jenni Ingram

Thank you!! This is General Finishes Milk Paint, I lightly sand before application. But it doesn't need a sealer!

• Sharon

Really pretty! Might I suggest something I learned from experience? Write down the names and proportions of the paints used for mixing the perfect color for future reference. I have a filing cabinet that was a yard sale find that I painted in a deep red. I would like to paint the base of my thrift found desk chair to match, but have no idea the brand of chalk paint I used, much less the color of red I started with or how much black I added to it. Ah, well, live and learn!

• Joanie

I love the makeover.......the pink paint is so dainty and girlish......the design of the legs I fell in love with, they are so pretty. The only thing that would NAIL this is crystal knobs. What a beauty!!