GoJo Geoff
GoJo Geoff
  • Australia

Self Supporting Shelves | Heavy Duty for Garage / Shed / Workshop

$200
Advanced

As part of my new garage project I made up this self supporting heavy duty shelf. Using building materials to keep the cost down and taking about a day to complete this shelf ain't going' no-where! Included are photos and a You Tube video showing all the steps involved.

Get Your Levels Right

First thing is nearly always "Get the Levels". Make sure you are working with straight and level surfaces. If not, you have to make them so! In this project I used a chalk line to get a level and straight starting point. Full detail in video at end.

Mark the Stud positions

For the best fixing possible the frame needs to be fixed to the internal framing timber not the wall lining. Full detail in video at end.

Fit shelf supports and mark out frame

With bugle batten screws fit the shelf supports and mark out the position of all support timbers. Full detail in video at end.

Build Frame

With everything marked and ready to go it's time to build the support structure. Using 45 degree angles for maximum strength I mark out and fix all these timbers and get it ready to be lifted up into place. Full detail in video at end.

Lift into position

With everything fixed while on the bench it makes the final assembly so much more practical. Full detail in video at end.

Fix off

Standing up the frame and temporarily held in place it's now time to fix it all off with more bugle batten screws. Full detail in video at end.

Finished

Fitting the shelf is the final step and leaves you with a super strong out of the way self supporting area to carry the heaviest of loads. Make sure to watch the following video for all the tips and tricks, and step by step instructions.

Video showing all the step by step instructions on how to build this super heavy duty self supporting shelf for garage or shed.

• 90x35 (2x4)  (Bunnings, Mitre10, Bowens.)
  • Sheet flooring  (As Above)
  • Bugle batten screws  (As Above)

GoJo Geoff

• Rob

Do you have plans for both the workbench and the self supporting shelves? I would like to build them in my garage