What can I do about these invisible bugs that are biting us???

+44
I tried sprays, on dog and on the yard. I tried flea collars and oil tubes. THey're biting my family and my sweetie boo dog!! Help!!
q no see ums biting my family and my sweetie boo dog

THESE COME OUT OF THE BITES IF YOU SCRATCH THEM OFF. THEN THEY STOP ITCHING AND GO AWAY. OTHERWISE THEY GET HORRIBLE ALLERGIC DERMATITUS?

STEROIDS AND ANTIBIOTICS WORKED FIRST EPISODE OF THIS LAST YEAR. STEROIDS NOT WORKING ANYMORE. GONNA TRY INSECT REPELLERS? I GOT TINY BATTERY ONES. BUT THEY HANG DOWN AND GET IN HIS FOOD AND WATER. ( THE ROIDS AND TONS OF$$ SPENT ON DOCTOR VISITS AND VETS ARE A REAL BUMMER FOR FAMILY MEMBERS TOO. )PUT ON A LOT OF WEIGHT AND STILL ITCHING NOW.

ANYONE KNOW A GOOD BRAND FOR OUT IN THE YARD? I HAVE THESE IN MY HOUSE AND PATIO. THEY GET MESSED UP OUTSIDE IN WEATHER.

DOING MUCH BETTER. BUT, STILL HAVING THE PROBLEM. ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM? WE'RE IN COLORADO, SISTER IN OKLAHOMA HAS THEM TOO.
  • Sherry Fiddler Sherry Fiddler on Mar 05, 2017
    Spray peroxide on your skin & let air dry.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Mar 05, 2017
    Having gone through this several years ago your problem looks like mites which are not visible to your eye.Have they best tested for that?
  • Yom20985858 Yom20985858 on Mar 05, 2017
    YES SOMETHING LIKE THAT. NOTHING LEFT OF THE BUG TO EXAMINE EXCEPT LITTLE HARD PARTS. COUNTY EXTENSION AGENT THINKS ITS THE ? MOUTH PARTS THEY USE TO HELP SUCK THE BLOOD. THEY ARE HARD ,JAGGED & GLASSLIKE. FROM SAND FLIES OR NO SEE-UMS? I'VE BEEN TRYING TO CATCH SOME FOR MONTHS WITH NO LUCK.
    -A MAN THAT JUST MOVED HERE A MONTH AGO SAID HIS POOR DOGS ARE HAVING THIS TOO.
    PUEBLO COLORADO, HIGH DESERT CLIMATE, VERY COLD OR VERY HOT. IT USED TO BE NICE AND DRY BUT ITS CRAZY WINDY MOST OF THE TIME, AND WEIRD VERY HUMID TIMES? SIS IS IN FAR EASTERN OKLAHOMA.
    WHEN WE TRAVELED AROUND U.S. , I GOT A TON OF CHIGGERS AND TICKS. SO I KNOW WHAT THOSE ARE.
    • See 1 previous
    • Yom20985858 Yom20985858 on Mar 06, 2017
      YES. LOOKING INTO EVERTHING. WITH HELP FROM COUNTY EXTENSION AGENT AND VET. SOMETING WILL GIVE SOON. HES GETTING GOOD LOVING CARE. AND LOVES HIS BANDANAS SOAKED WITH INSECT REPELLANT.
  • Christina Dorrego Christina Dorrego on Mar 06, 2017
    Demodex mites. IT is the non contagious mange. A suppressed immune system allows them to proliferate. Add Turmeric to most things you eat, I have found other than turning things yellow it doesn't change the taste much. Eggs/easy to add it.
    The dog, get a vet to do a skin test. It is itchy and miserable. My dog almost was put down. I gave him Ivermectin orally over several months in increased doses up to 2 cc (he is a huge dog) and frankly that saved his life. It tastes TERRIBLE and is usually injected into pigs and such. Same med as heartworm prevention.

He had blisters all over, and inside his paw pads, making it hard to walk. The picture does not show how bad it got. The picture below shows him today. He has two bald spots that never grew back, but this is five years later and he is a happy and healthy dog.
    • See 1 previous
    • Lukie Ramos Lukie Ramos on Nov 17, 2018

Made me remember Calexico my hometown

• Dfm Dfm on Mar 06, 2017
    our rabbits used to get ear mites at times, showed up as crusty plaques- mites so small the vet had us kids look at them with a microscope. olive oil or mineral is what we would smother the mites with. check w/ a vet to see if this is a viable solution for your pooch. it might at least sooth the skin.
      YES. I USE NEOSPORIN OR BAG BALM. RUBBED IN A LITTLE AND THOSE STINGERS OR MOUTH PARTS POP OUT AND THE BUMPS GO AWAY. BUT SOME ARE BIG AND HARD TO GET OUT. POOR PUPS START SCRATCHING BAD. I DONT BLAME HIM. I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE. THEY ITCH TILL I SCRATCHEM OFF.
  • Dfm Dfm on Mar 06, 2017
    another thought- have you set out glue traps near the pooch bed? they might catch the culprits
    WHERE TO GET PLEASE? GUY AT LOWES SAID THEY HAD GLU MOUSE TRAPS.
    • Kathyhausner Kathyhausner on Mar 07, 2017
      Google" bird mites" & Good Luck, They are not easy to get rid of & some family members are not effected at all.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Mar 07, 2017
    Please read this article. mitetreatments.com/dermodex-mites/
  • Yom20985858 Yom20985858 on Mar 07, 2017
    YAY. I FOUND OUT WHAT THEY ARE. I FIGURED I'D PUT ASPERCREME ON PUPS FACE AND KILL THE SUCKERS ,(WHATEVER THEY MAY BE). AND MAYBE BLOW THEM UP WHEN THEY TRY N SUCK HIS BLOOD. LATER HE HAD HARD THINGS HANGING ON HIM AND WE PUT THEM UNDER MAGNIFIER N TOOK PICS N BLEW THOSE UP. THEY ARE TEENSY FLIES WITH A DESIGN ON THEIR BACKS AND CONE NOSES WITH POKEY THINGS ON SIDES OF IT.
    -HE IS NOW WEARING AA BANDANA WITH SSS SOAKED ON IT AND A LITTLE CLICKING INSECT REPELLER. WE'LL SEE WHERE WE GO FROM HERE. -THANKS FOR THE HELP!
  • Linda Johnson Linda Johnson on Mar 07, 2017
    Have you tried diatomaceous earth? It's safe and has many uses. We put it in something that we can use to sprinkle on our animals (chickens, dogs, etc.) or garden.
  • Carol Todd Carol Todd on Mar 07, 2017
    Have you tried Advantage? I thought my cat had an allergy and the vet couldn't find any fleas but... It worked.
    I WAS KIND IF AFRAID TO. THE GUY AT THE GARDEN SHOP SAID IT MITE B BAD ON MY ALLERGIES IF TRACKED INSIDE. ILL HAVE TO LOOK INTO IT MORE. IM ALLERGIC TO EVERYTHING. :-(
  • Diana Deiley Diana Deiley on Mar 07, 2017
    Here's a thought.......a luke warm bath with Dawn Dish Soap. If it was good for all the wild life after the oil spill, it should be good for dogs with mites, but please check with your vet first.
    • See 1 previous
    • Diana Deiley Diana Deiley on Apr 07, 2017
      Thanks for the information. I did not know that. I did bathe my two cats in warm water using the dish soap with no problem. Of course I used it sparingly and not directly on their skin.
  • Libby Libby on Mar 08, 2017
    We use food grade DE powder liberally in the yard and on pets. It is safe for humans. We also get Bronco spray from the feed store, which is also safe for humans. Espom salt baths have been lifesavers for the chickens, and would imagine a welcome thing for your family. That and oatmeal soaks.
    The DE powder should be used regularly in the yard.
    Even if you are using other methods to help your family, I hope you incorporate the DE. Not sure how price compares but Amazon delivers to your door if you've no time to get to store.
  • Yom20985858 Yom20985858 on Mar 08, 2017
    THANK YOU. I'LL LOOK THAT UP.
  • Carol Carol on Mar 08, 2017
    If they are mites, then Tea Tree Oil can help with that. It is a powerful natural antiseptic an has the ability to treat wounds. It will help to smother the mites. Google it to learn more.
  • Inetia Inetia on Mar 08, 2017
    Google 'Ask a vet' and you will get multiple hits for vets who will answer questions. I've owned dogs all my life and worked at the Humane Society 22 years and have never seen anything like it.
    • Yom20985858 Yom20985858 on Mar 09, 2017
      HI , A LOT OF GREAT ADVICE. WE DID FIGURE OUT WHAT IT IS. I APPLIED ASPERCREME FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF BLOWING UP THE LITTLE BLOODSUCKERS. THEN MAGNIFIED SOME OF THE DEAD BODIES HANGING ON MY BABIES FACE. WE LOOKED THEM UP AND THE COUNTY EXTENSION AGENT SAID THEY ARE "BITING FLIES, MIDGES OR NO-SEEUMS". BESIDES HARSG CHEMICALS WE FOUND AVON SSS DOES HELP. AND FIUND THIS SPRAY THAT SOOTHS SKIN AND HELPS KILL AND REPEL. SO INSTEAD OF HIS FLEA COLLARS AND DROPS. HE IS NOW WEARING A BLUE BANDANA (RED ATTRACTS BUGS) . SPRAYED WITH SSS AND THIS , "NATURES BEST FLEA AND TICK SPRAY", IS SPRAYED LITELY ON HIM A FEW TIMES A DAY. HIS SWELLING IS MOSTLY GONE AND
  • Darrel Rose Darrel Rose on Mar 09, 2017
    Is this what this is that is tormenting your dog and family( Milkweed bug)Heteropterans can affect humans in several ways. They are common household pests and can spoil the taste of some fruits (e.g., raspberries contaminated by stinkbugs). But more importantly, some can attack people directly and inflict painful bites as well as introduce disease-causing organisms. The injection of saliva or poison may cause allergic reactions in susceptible persons. Sometimes when they cannot find plants, phytophagous insects probe moist surfaces (e.g., perspiring skin) in search of appropriate food fluids. Transmission of trypanosomes, which cause Chagas disease in the American tropics, occurs through cone nose bugs (Reduviidae), so-called because of the shape of their head. The insect receives trypanosomes when it feeds on the blood of an infected person. The trypanosome passes part of its life cycle in the insect and again becomes infective to humans. Instead of injecting them into a new victim, however, the insect deposits trypanosomes (in its excrement) on the skin of a potential victim. The trypanosomes can enter the bloodstream only through mucous membranes or breaks in the skin (e.g., those that may result from scratching the site of the bite).
    THANK YOU. I DID GET A NASTY BITE FROM ONE OF THOSE BEFORE. BUT WE FOUND THE DEAD THINGS HANGING ALLOVER MY PUPS FACE AFTER I PUT ASPERCREME ON IT. TEENY FLY'S. AGENT SAID POSSIBLY MIDGES OR NI-SEEUMS? BUT AT LEAST WE KNIW HOW TO FIGHT THEM NOW.
  • Jmat2015 Jmat2015 on Mar 10, 2017
    I have a friend that was having issues with various insects and bugs. They used regular Arm and Hammer Baking Soda to repel them. Now before you go the trouble of buying a case of that please allow me to suggest this. It seems you have been able to trap a few of the culprits. Take them to an exterminator. They can offer the best solutions on how to move forward.
    In Philadelphia there is an exterminating business called Steves Bug off. They have a remarkable reputation for getting even the toughest jobs done to a customers satisfaction. Try sending samples to them if it is not feasible to have them visit your location.
    At least they will be able to identify them so you will have a better idea how to treat the problem. It also appears you have collected eggs of the insect. That could be a deeper problem than you may see. Good luck on what seems to be a very tough issue for you.
    • Yom20985858 Yom20985858 on Mar 10, 2017
      HI AND THANK YOU. I AM OUT IN HIGH DESERT IN COLORADO SO I'VE BEEN WORKING WITH THE COUNTY EXTENSION AGENT FOR THE STATE. ITS VERY DRY HERE. HE SAYS IF ITS WHAT HE THINKS IT IS, THEIR SWARMS MOVE EVERY FEW DAYS ABOUT A QUARTER MILE HOPS. WE HAVE TERMINIX HERE. AND THEY GIVE ME AN ASTHMA ATTACK. SO I AM GAME TO TRY THE BAKING SODA. ITS ONKY $3 FOR A HUGE BAG. IT SURE CANT HURT.
  • Connie Connie on Mar 10, 2017
    How I hope that baby is well. We had no seeum bites in Panama and were afraid we had bedbug bites.
  • Yom20985858 Yom20985858 on Mar 11, 2017
    HI. AND THANK YOU FOR CARING. HE IS DOING SO MUCH BETTER IN JUST THE LAST FEW DAYS. HE LOVES HIS HANKY SPRAYED WITH SSS AND HIS LITTLE INSECT REPELLER MAKES A CUTE CLICKETY NOISE. I BELIEVE HIS SKIN IS LIMING THAT SPRAY. THE SWELLING HAS GONE DOWN SO MUCH AND THE BALD PATCHES ARE SHRINKING FAST. THANK YOU FOR CARING.
    • Linda g Linda g on Mar 11, 2017
      Bless that baby heart I have never seen anything like that.I know he must have been in such torment. Thank you for sharing and giving us all a heads up.
    JUST A LITTLE TIRED FROM THE BENADRYL AND SORE. SO VET SAID CAN GIVE HIM AN ASPIRIN EVERY 6-8HOURS. WITH ALL THE SWELLING HIS FACE HAD, AFTER I TOOK ALL OUT THE STINGERS OR WHATEVER THEY ARE CALLED . LOOK AT THE DIFFERENCE. AND I AM PRETTY SURE HE KNOWS WHAT, " MOMMY FIX ",MEANS NOW. HE DOES HAVE OUR HEARTS AND IS OUR BIG SWEETY.
  • Janice Sharpe Janice Sharpe on Apr 07, 2017
    I know my dogs issue is not the same as what you are going through. My pup had a skin problem the vet couldn't identify. Did blood work and found her to have an under active thyroid. Started meds and problem went away.
    My point is, the thyroid control our body hormones and glands. The meds may help to strenghten the poor pups immune system. Allowing him to fight back.
    Hope he gets better soon. Keep us posted .
  • Yom20985858 Yom20985858 on Apr 07, 2017
    THIS WAS PER VET. I'VE BEEN GIVING HIM BENADRYL 4 EVERY 8HRS. AND A HUGE BOTTLE OF ANTI-BIOTICS. WE'VE JUST STARTED WEENING HIM OFF THEM. BUT A COUPLE BITES ARE LINGERING. I'VE MIXED UP SOME OINMENT WITH A FEW THINGS AND MASSAGE IT IN. AND HES DOING NICELY. MY POOR SWEETY BOO. THAT PICTURE IS SO AWFUL. THIS IS BY BOY NOW. PEOPLE WANT TO KILL THESE DOGS. BUT HES SO SWEET. HE EVEN HELPS MAKE THE BED, SINCE MY HANDS HURT SO MUCH. HE GETS HIS KERCHIEF SPRAYED WITH SSS AND I SPRAY HIM WITH A NATURAL PRODUCT? I FOUND. THERE ARE PEST REPELLERS ALLOVER YARD AND US NOW. A LOT LESS BITES TO DEAL WITH. THANK YOU FOR CARING.
    OH. SOME BULLDOGS I'M TOLD, ROOT IN THE GRASS ETC. LIKE GOATS N PIGGIES. HE WILL TURN OVER LOGS TO GET AN OCAISIONAL WORM . UG. BUT THAT CAUSES SOME BITES I AM SURE.
  • Dena Calina Dena Calina on Jul 03, 2018
    You should immediately dust your home with DE and then you should take the DE-Food. It is all natural. Diatomaceous earth is available in two different grades: food grade (meant to taken internally by humans) and non-food grade (used in industrial practices)
  • Yom20985858 Yom20985858 on Jul 17, 2018

THANK YOU. WE HAVE BEEN DOING FOR ABOUT A YEAR. THIS IS A LOT MORE INVOLVED THEN THIS. STUFF IS IN OUR WATER AND A LOT MORE. GOTTA GO. THANKS AGAIN...

• Sherry Lynn Villegas Sherry Lynn Villegas on Nov 25, 2019

I wish I could answer your question. My dog and I are suffering miserably. It's a major battle. I clean all day and night. I use peroxide, water, vinegar 1/3 of each and a few drops of dawn. It doesn't eliminate, but helps. This is painful and it's depressing.

• Yom20985858 Yom20985858 on Nov 30, 2019

OH MY GOD, I HAVE TYPED YOU MESSAGES SEVERAL TIMES AND THEY DISSAPEAR. IT IS ALMOST 3AM AND I HAD A LOT TO SHOW AND TELL YOU , IT ALL DISSAPEARED. PUT SOME HEALING THINGS ON LIKE BAG BALM OR TEA TREE OIL OR NEOSPORING ETC. AND A WARM PACK. DON'T TAKE ANY RX'S FOR FLEA AND TICK CONTROL CHEWS FOR YOUR DOG. THEY SAY ON THEM NOT TO PRESCRIBE TO SICK DOGS. AND THEY SOLD US AND MADE US GIVE HIM 3KINDS. THEY MADE HIM WORSE. DO HEALTHY WHOLESOME NATURAL THINGS FOR BOTH OF YOU. MY POOR BABY. MY HEART IS SO BROKEN. IN THE LAST WEEKEND OF HIS LIFE. BOTH HIS LEGS BROKE. THEY JUST SNAPPED AND HE HAD ORGAN FAILURE. HE WAS A BEAUTIFUL LITTLE ANGEL THAT WOULD EVEN HELP ME MAKE THE BED. GOD BLESS YOU. I LEARNED ALOT. ENJOY YOUR BLESSING , THATS WHAT THEY ARE. PLEASE FORGIVE CAPS AND WRITING. MY EYES ARE FULL OF FIBERS OR FLOATERS OR WHATEVER DOC CHOOSES TO CALL THEM. WATCH OUT. SUN AND GOING OUTSIDE EVEN IN SHADE. DON'T STAY OUT LONG. CAUSES HORRIBLE ATTACKS. I AM IN SOUTHERN COLORADO, WHERE ARE YOU? IF YOU ARE CLOSE, MAYBE I CAN SEND YOU A MICROSCOPE. I AM PRAYING FOR YOU BOTH.

IS THERE A WAY TO SEND YOU EMAILS ETC. IN PRIVATE. ? FACE BOOK MAYBE?

• Caroline Caroline on Jun 01, 2021

Hi I’m brand new to this website but omg this is exactly what I too am going through. Did you ever find out what it was exactly? I have done so much research and almost all of my hair has fallen out….plus I’m sick in bed almost everyday and my pup is suffering! If your baby passed from organ failure this makes me consider doing a dna test for me and my pup (via Amazon)-have you ever done anything like that? Also I took a fluconazole and just bought spirullina&chollera off Amazon which seems to help! I think it is biting flys/midges too, I spray lots of off bug spray but they still persist :(