Create A Welcoming Front Porch With This Planter

$25

This planter gave my front steps the perfect amount of "oomph" it needed. Not only does it allow me to display a variety of beautiful flowers at the same time, but the pots are so bright and cheerful as well. My neighbors can't help but smile when they pass by my house now.

SUPPLIES:

- Potting Mix

- One 10" Pot

- Four 6" Pots

- E600 Glue

- 36" Metal Rod (I used a zinc rod found in the plumbing section)

- Spray Paint

- Flowers/Greenery

Step 1: Paint Your Pots.

I chose this bright blue Rust-Oleum spraypaint for that perfect pop of color!

Step 2: Fill your pot with soil.

Take your 10" pot and fill it with potting soil. Insert the metal rod into the center of the pot while you fill it to the top with soil.

Continue to push down on the soil to "pack" the soil tightly around the metal rod. Keep packing the soil down as you fill the pot to the top with potting mix.

Step 3: Thread your second pot onto the rod.

Take one of your 6" pots and thread the metal rod through the bottom base hole.

Step 4: Fill your second pot.

Wedge your smaller pot into the soil, so it sits on an angle. Fill it with soil.

Step 5: Glue the edge of your pot.

Using heavy-duty adhesive (like E600) glue the right outer edge of your second pot. This will be where your third pot lies.

Step 6: Add your second 6" pot.

Thread your second 6" pot onto the metal rod. Place it so it sits on an angle along the glued area of your first 6" pot. Hold firmly for glue to set and fill it with soil.

Step 7: Add your third 6" pot.

Thread your third 6" pot onto the metal rod. Glue the outer edge of your second pot. Place the third pot so it sits on an angle along the glued area of your second 6" pot. Hold firmly for glue to set.

Don't forget to fill your third 6" pot with soil!

Step 8: Add your final 6" pot.

Continue the steps listed above for your final 6" pot. Thread, glue the outer edge of your third 6" pot, place it on and angle, hold the pot to set and fill it with soil.

Step 9: Plant your flowers.

You will most likely have to break up the root of the plant slightly to ensure they fit nicely into each pot.

My flowers have been planted - but what to do about that extra foot of rod? It is intentional, I promise!

Step 10: Add a playful element.

I decided to leave the some of the rod sticking out of the planter to allow the opportunity to place a playful element to the planter. This time, I added a simple wooden birdhouse (without the birdseed), but as certain holidays approach, I plan on adding other decorative elements like a "welcome spring sign" or a fun Easter bunny on top. What would you use?

My front step is immediately transformed! What a fun way to bring some color to my doorstep, and I LOVE that I can continually change the flowers when I want to bring in some new color. Happy planting!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Carolyn S.

Will the E6000 glue still work on unpainted clay, that gets wet outside, and of course stays wet for a good while since it absorbs water?

• Patty V. Y

E600 is a very heavy duty glue, also intended for outdoor wet conditions. It is what I use on my glass plate, bowl, cup type flowers on a rod, bird bath's out of recycled dishware I am sure you have seen. Was in my DIY directions for that, also word of mouth. Holding strong so far.

• Nadine Harris

I want to make this. How can I get a print out of your planter?

• Connie

When you water the plant on the top, does it go to the next one, and so on?