Create A Welcoming Front Porch With This Planter

$25

This planter gave my front steps the perfect amount of "oomph" it needed. Not only does it allow me to display a variety of beautiful flowers at the same time, but the pots are so bright and cheerful as well. My neighbors can't help but smile when they pass by my house now.

topsy tervy planter, gardening

SUPPLIES:

- Potting Mix

- One 10" Pot

- Four 6" Pots

- E600 Glue

- 36" Metal Rod (I used a zinc rod found in the plumbing section)

- Spray Paint

- Flowers/Greenery

topsy tervy planter, gardening

Step 1: Paint Your Pots.

I chose this bright blue Rust-Oleum spraypaint for that perfect pop of color!

topsy tervy planter, gardening

Step 2: Fill your pot with soil.

Take your 10" pot and fill it with potting soil. Insert the metal rod into the center of the pot while you fill it to the top with soil.

topsy tervy planter, gardening

Continue to push down on the soil to "pack" the soil tightly around the metal rod. Keep packing the soil down as you fill the pot to the top with potting mix.

topsy tervy planter, gardening

Step 3: Thread your second pot onto the rod.

Take one of your 6" pots and thread the metal rod through the bottom base hole.

topsy tervy planter, gardening

Step 4: Fill your second pot.

Wedge your smaller pot into the soil, so it sits on an angle. Fill it with soil.

topsy tervy planter, gardening

Step 5: Glue the edge of your pot.

Using heavy-duty adhesive (like E600) glue the right outer edge of your second pot. This will be where your third pot lies.

topsy tervy planter, gardening

Step 6: Add your second 6" pot.

Thread your second 6" pot onto the metal rod. Place it so it sits on an angle along the glued area of your first 6" pot. Hold firmly for glue to set and fill it with soil.

topsy tervy planter, gardening

Step 7: Add your third 6" pot.

Thread your third 6" pot onto the metal rod. Glue the outer edge of your second pot. Place the third pot so it sits on an angle along the glued area of your second 6" pot. Hold firmly for glue to set.

Don't forget to fill your third 6" pot with soil!

topsy tervy planter, gardening

Step 8: Add your final 6" pot.

Continue the steps listed above for your final 6" pot. Thread, glue the outer edge of your third 6" pot, place it on and angle, hold the pot to set and fill it with soil.

topsy tervy planter, gardening

Step 9: Plant your flowers.

You will most likely have to break up the root of the plant slightly to ensure they fit nicely into each pot.

topsy tervy planter, gardening

My flowers have been planted - but what to do about that extra foot of rod? It is intentional, I promise!

topsy tervy planter, gardening

Step 10: Add a playful element.

I decided to leave the some of the rod sticking out of the planter to allow the opportunity to place a playful element to the planter. This time, I added a simple wooden birdhouse (without the birdseed), but as certain holidays approach, I plan on adding other decorative elements like a "welcome spring sign" or a fun Easter bunny on top. What would you use?

topsy tervy planter, gardening

My front step is immediately transformed! What a fun way to bring some color to my doorstep, and I LOVE that I can continually change the flowers when I want to bring in some new color. Happy planting!

• Rust-Oleum Spray Paint  (Home Depot)
  • 36" Metal Rod (Plumbing Section)  (Home Depot)
  • 10" Clay Pot  (Home Depot)

• Marcella Crowe

I seen this before but the paint peel off my pots every year how do I stop the pain from peeling?

• Debbie

Would a clay round dish/plate that fits a 10" pot be useful on this project?

• Carolyn S.

Will the E6000 glue still work on unpainted clay, that gets wet outside, and of course stays wet for a good while since it absorbs water?

• Patty V. Y

E600 is a very heavy duty glue, also intended for outdoor wet conditions. It is what I use on my glass plate, bowl, cup type flowers on a rod, bird bath's out of recycled dishware I am sure you have seen. Was in my DIY directions for that, also word of mouth. Holding strong so far.

• Nadine Harris

I want to make this. How can I get a print out of your planter?