Zest it Up
Zest it Up
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Atascadero, CA

Retro Strainer Planter

$15

Happy Wednesday everyone! We had a glorious day of sunshine and soccer….and in the midst of shuffling and basking, I found some time to putter, so I thought I’d share. I found this awesome retro red strainer at the Goodwill Outlet a while ago and just had to grab it…who could resist this color??

retro strainer planter, gardening, home decor

This red is so aesthetically pleasing! I couldn't wait to do something creative with it!!

Since it was pretty rusty on the bottom of the strainer, I took it to the garden. :)

So, I gathered my supplies and attacked it with my old plastic shopping bag trick (to keep the water inside with the soil and not flowing out of my cute strainer holes).

I decided that I would keep in the theme and go for a kitchen plant to add to my kitchen decor.  This happy basil plant was muy perfecto!  I mean, doesn’t this red strainer scream spaghetti and meatballs??

First step was to tuck in my plastic bag. In with the potting soil and plant…just remember to tuck the edges of your plastic bag beneath the soil line just a scosh….no revealing your underlining

Whoops…looks like my bag is showing…gotta run to the store tomorrow for a tad more soil.  Regardless, my strainer is a super cute planter destined for my outdoor table (gotta get some sunshine for this happy basil plant).
I love unusual planters!  I’d love to see some of your ideas, too!  Oh, and have fun Zesting in the garden this weekend!

~Chanda
Zest it Up

• Deb

How can I use this for an inside planter without water getting everywhere?

• Sarah

I would just put a red ceramic bowl or shallow plant pot basin under it. You can get Terracotta basins for under pots at any garden center (Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware) and paint it with acrylic paint in any color you like. You might be lucky enough to find a glazed on in the right color too.