Extra Cabinet Storage

$10

Creating extra storage in my house is a MUST! With three kids, two dogs and two adults, our house is always jam-packed with "stuff" and there is nothing I love more than an organized home. This simple DIY is extremely budget-friendly and easy to install. You can use it for so many things too!

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
extra cabinet storage, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, storage ideas

SUPPLIES:

- Bathroom Towel Bar (I chose a simple one, but The Home Depot has a huge selection.)

- Screws

- Spray Paint (optional)

Do you see that wasted space on the side of my kitchen cabinet? It's time to turn it into something useful!

Step 1: Prepare your piece of ledger.

Cut your piece of vinyl deck ledger to the same length as your towel bar. even though this is sturdy, it's quite easy to cut. I chose to spray paint mine in a metallic silver to match the towel rack bar as close as possible.

Step 2: Mark your first bracket point.

With a pencil, mark the area where you will install the first towel bar bracket.

Step 3: Mark your second bracket point.

With a pencil, mark the area where you will install the second towel bar bracket.

Step 4: Install your towel bar
start out by screwing the first bracket into the cabinet at the marked point.

Then insert the towel rack bar into the first bracket, and install the second bracket by screwing it into your marked point on the cabinet. This towel rack was super easy to install, and I love the sleek look of it. You can find tons of different style towel racks on The Home Depot.

Step 6: Mark the point where you would like the ledger to be installed below the towel bar.

This height depends on what items you plan on storing on the outside of the cabinet. If it's spices, be sure to measure the shortest spice bottle for height reference. If it's cook books, be sure to measure the height of a standard cook book, etc.

Step 7: Install your deck ledger at the marked points below the towel bar.

Be sure to use the proper screws for the type of material your cabinet is made out of. Mine is wood, so I used 4 wood screws.

...And, it's ready to be put to good use!

The finished product provides the perfect amount of storage for some of my kitchen items that I had piling up around the house. Now my cook books, food magazines, and even my iPad (that I reference for recipes often) have a neat little space on the side of my cabinet. I can even plug the iPad into the outlet above for easy charging!

• Deborah

Why?

• Schel McCord Ruiz

Well said. I love this idea and don't need extra storage but think I'm going to do it anyway so my cookbooks are out and not forgotten about. Thanks for the awesome idea!

• Charlotte M Wadkins

I do love this. I have the worlds smallest weird kitchen. I am looking for a cheap wall-stretcher. Any ideas??? LOL

• Tracey

I wonder the max weight the ledger would hold? Thoughts?

• Joyce

I live in a lovely mobile home community but the security lights shine in my bedroom windows. Black out curtains do not and one window faces the neighbors home. I need to sleep past 5:30 am each day. Please help

• Sheryl Gilliland

I used flannel backed vinyl with 1" extra for the window frame all the way around. Attach it with Velcro on the walls and it is black out. From the outside it looks like white lined drapes on the inside the vinyl is hidden by your drapes. This is also excellent insulation for both hot and cold weather and easy to remove to let the sun shine in.

• Maureen

Very clever idea 👍