Extra Cabinet Storage

$10

Creating extra storage in my house is a MUST! With three kids, two dogs and two adults, our house is always jam-packed with "stuff" and there is nothing I love more than an organized home. This simple DIY is extremely budget-friendly and easy to install. You can use it for so many things too!

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
extra cabinet storage, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, storage ideas

SUPPLIES:

- Bathroom Towel Bar (I chose a simple one, but The Home Depot has a huge selection.)

- Screws

- Spray Paint (optional)

Do you see that wasted space on the side of my kitchen cabinet? It's time to turn it into something useful!

Step 1: Prepare your piece of ledger.

Cut your piece of vinyl deck ledger to the same length as your towel bar. even though this is sturdy, it's quite easy to cut. I chose to spray paint mine in a metallic silver to match the towel rack bar as close as possible.

Step 2: Mark your first bracket point.

With a pencil, mark the area where you will install the first towel bar bracket.

Step 3: Mark your second bracket point.

With a pencil, mark the area where you will install the second towel bar bracket.

Step 4: Install your towel bar
start out by screwing the first bracket into the cabinet at the marked point.

Then insert the towel rack bar into the first bracket, and install the second bracket by screwing it into your marked point on the cabinet. This towel rack was super easy to install, and I love the sleek look of it. You can find tons of different style towel racks on The Home Depot.

Step 6: Mark the point where you would like the ledger to be installed below the towel bar.

This height depends on what items you plan on storing on the outside of the cabinet. If it's spices, be sure to measure the shortest spice bottle for height reference. If it's cook books, be sure to measure the height of a standard cook book, etc.

Step 7: Install your deck ledger at the marked points below the towel bar.

Be sure to use the proper screws for the type of material your cabinet is made out of. Mine is wood, so I used 4 wood screws.

...And, it's ready to be put to good use!

The finished product provides the perfect amount of storage for some of my kitchen items that I had piling up around the house. Now my cook books, food magazines, and even my iPad (that I reference for recipes often) have a neat little space on the side of my cabinet. I can even plug the iPad into the outlet above for easy charging!

• Karen Foster Bowen

Are those concrete counter tops? DIY? ? Very creative project

• Loma Deel Miller

It's not a question but a comment. Looks like you'd have room underneath for another maybe smaller one. Just have to make sure anything in it is child /pet safe.

• DB

Or even a couple of kids books. This is a great idea Thanks!

• Julien K., Hometalk Team

Definitely! A lot of room for that option and I love the idea for children's book.

• Esther

Great idea for a bathroom "library," too!

• Loma Deel Miller

Also if an extension of sorts is added to bring the towel rack out far enough it would be awesome for wraps and foil.

• Canadianlady

I notice your countertop seems to be made of concrete? If that's the case, what do you think of it. Is it easy to clean? Does it get stained easily? How is it holding up?
    • Julien K., Hometalk Team

It is sealed concrete and was installed by my landlord. It's very durable, but I have to say that it does stain quite easily.

• Mary

Just wanted to say nice job.

• Tvogt1954

How sharp is the corner of that deck ledger?? I have a toddler grandson that that would be a dangerous level to have him walk/run by.....

• LIBERTY

That's my first thought, too! Love the idea, but it would be a magnet for my granddaughter's head! I wonder if it can be rounded?

• Jan4948575

I have no idea what a deck ledger is. I'm from UK so probably have a different word for it. 😳

• Julien K., Hometalk Team

It's made of a soft vinyl, so it has some Give to it and wouldn't cause a serious injury. But, I would recommend filing down the corners with a simple nail file even to ensure the pointed corners won't harm a child.

• 16999903

I think this is a great idea for an upper cabinet on the side. I really wouldn't recommend it for anyone that has toddlers. Not only for head injuries, but the temptation to pull on them or hang on them in a nano second when you turn your head. We have a hard enough time with them pulling on the towel bars in the bathroom! It's perfect for placing a tablet or even mail that needs to go out.....when the kids are older!

• Patti

I agree with Suzanne Baker 👍🏻 Just need to apply some cushioning so the taller-than-toddler types don't bump their heads 🤕

• Patti

@Jan from U.K. ... the "ledger" is the little shelf-type item hung beneath the towel bar in this picture....a "ledge".

• GoAskAlice

@Jan Deck Ledger Fits Over Ledger Board (the board that attaches the deck to the structure) And Behind Siding To Protect From Water Damage.

• Leba Miller

I love this!!! Great idea and great job irrespective of some of the comments/questions :)

• Eliza Spear

If it is vinyl could the edge be softened/rounded with heat? Heat gun, lighter, candle, putting it against a hot iron or other hot surface like the crafts that use plastic water bottles

• Julien K., Hometalk Team

Just to weigh-in on the toddler issue - I have 3 little ones! Ages 3,2,8-months and am shocked they haven't tried to do anything with it yet! But to be honest, I was amazed st the flexibility and "give" of he vinyl. It's low enough that it actually prevents them from wanting to hang off of it. I think if it were higher, they'd be tempted to "reach" and hang. Then again, you can never be too safe and if you have young children be aware of the temptation! :)

• Sus6211865

Hi there, great idea - but what are your counters made from?

• Annie

Yeah, that's what I was going to ask!!!! Is that rusty metal I see? I LOVE it!!

• Bob Blakely

Looks like concrete to me. It a "new" twist for kitchen countertops.

• Julien K., Hometalk Team

Bob is right! They are concrete countertops. It was the homeowners DIY before we moved in.

• Winnie Fish

Nice, but, how big is your house?

• Libby

Hi! Is there room for a second shelf below it? We've been thinking about doing nearly same thing in our new kitchen. Thinking of a notebook for takeout menus, gadget manuals for the Ninja, Instant Pot, etc, with a bottom shelf for grandbaby books. in my mind I pictured the narrow IKEA picture shelves without the bar on top.

• Amarillolesa

The bar keeps things from being knocked off the shelf. That's why she said if you will be using for a spice rack measure your shortest bottle, so the bar can keep all the bottles from being brushed off the rack. Dog tails and kids rushing by could cause havoc without the bar to keep them in place.

• Libby

Thank you Lesa, I happen to have an end cabinet that thankfully won't have traffic going by it.

• Marti Lou

Don't they make end caps for this product? That might solve the head banging problem as well as keeping items safe inside....great project!

• Ibd12104488

What is deck ledger????

• Julien K., Hometalk Team

You can find this item in your local Hardware store. Be sure to ask an associate! It's usually kept near the gutters section.

• Shuganne

Ibd, "the ledger provides much of a deck’s strength; it supports the joists at one end, and it provides stiffness to the framing. (A freestanding deck, of course, does not have a ledger.)" That was from decks.com. In essence, it is the L-shaped bracket that gets jammed underneath the house's siding to make the house waterproof, even though you're attaching a whole lotta joists onto the side of the house. Several wriers will be suggesting similar alternatives, I'm sure. This advantage is its extra strength. And its mysterious name. 😉

• Diane

Sorry not a question but comment. A piece od gutter with end caps would work also.

• Betty Hutchinson

This would work in the bathroom also?

• Casey

Why not? In my family, the bathroom was lovingly referred to as "the library."

• Rebecca L guertler

yes it would work for bathroom

• Daisy@TX

Not an answer but an opinion. I would like to try in my pantry doors for cook books! We'll see! Great project!

• Wendy Jaikaran

I think the bathroom, pantry doors, garage, or wherever you have the need for extra storage like this is an excellent idea! Use your imagination!

• Deborah

Why?

• Kimm King

STORAGE !!!!💕

• Nancy

Why not!

• Ang8275666

Easy access to cookbooks. In my kitchen the cookbooks are in a drawer and out of sight. I think the cookbook on the Shelf is a great idea. My grandchild could put his books there too when he's in the kitchen

• Rachelle

Why comment why? If toy don't need extras storage, move on to another project. I love finding empty spaces to utilize for storage. I love this idea, it may not be for everyone, but that's ok. You don't have to be negative, just swipe over to the next project, maybe that one will catch your eye. We all have different tastes, and needs. That's why Hometalk has so many projects, there's something for everyone. We just don't need negativity on a site where people are using their creative minds and lucky for us all, they are sharing them with us! ❤❤😍☺

• Donna DakotaSunrise Boria

Have u ever lived in a really small place. This as a great idea.

• Schel McCord Ruiz

Well said. I love this idea and don't need extra storage but think I'm going to do it anyway so my cookbooks are out and not forgotten about. Thanks for the awesome idea!

• Charlotte M Wadkins

I do love this. I have the worlds smallest weird kitchen. I am looking for a cheap wall-stretcher. Any ideas??? LOL

• Tracey

I wonder the max weight the ledger would hold? Thoughts?

• Joyce

I live in a lovely mobile home community but the security lights shine in my bedroom windows. Black out curtains do not and one window faces the neighbors home. I need to sleep past 5:30 am each day. Please help

• Sheryl Gilliland

I used flannel backed vinyl with 1" extra for the window frame all the way around. Attach it with Velcro on the walls and it is black out. From the outside it looks like white lined drapes on the inside the vinyl is hidden by your drapes. This is also excellent insulation for both hot and cold weather and easy to remove to let the sun shine in.

• Maureen

Very clever idea 👍