Simple Decorating Tips
Simple Decorating Tips
  • New Richmond, WI

Easiest DIY Beadboard Ever!

$45

Hi, Liz here from the DIY & decorating blog Simple Decorating Tips.

Love beadboard? Don't have the carpentry skills or desire to use real wood? Have I got the thing for you!

easiest diy beadboard ever, wall decor, woodworking projects

I love, love, love beadboard! I always have. I love the quaint, laidback, vintage style beadboard represents. I love that it works so well in traditional style, farmhouse style as well as coastal style. Beadboard is just what this coastal cottage in Maine needed for a kitchen backsplash, but since I was the one doing it, with very little tools and woodworking ability, I needed the easiest DIY beadboard ever… and I found it!

This is the plain, fairly traditional looking kitchen of this coastal cottage before the beadboard. Boring! (and that’s after I added the cute black and white knobs from Pottery Barn.

It needed a little fun cottage color…

and texture…

So first I removed all the faceplates to the electric switches and outlets. (good idea to throw the circuit breaker off for these too)

Next it’s time to prep the walls to receive the ‘beadboard’…

If you haven’t already guessed it…

The beadboard is actually beadboard wallpaper, but it’s amazingly real looking… so keep reading and be amazed!

Prepping the walls is simply painting on pre-mixed wall sizing. Wall sizing, unlike it’s name, has nothing to do with the measurements of the wall. It seals the porousness of the wall, so that the wallpaper glue will adhere to the surface of the wall, and not just get sucked into the wall.

Funny story… This is totally true, funny, but sort of sad at the time… The very first wallpaper I ever put up was in 1981 for our baby girl’s bedroom. It was clouds and rainbows. I had no idea what I was doing. I asked at the wallpaper store owner for tips when I ordered it, and they said it was important to size the room first. So I measured it twice to be sure. Wah… Wah… Wah… Yup! I had no clue they meant something entirely different. And sadly, the wallpaper all began to fall off the walls the following day… the glue was totally sucked into the sheetrock and so the wallpaper had nothing to hold it up. My husband always says ‘No education is free’ and this one was the cost of the wallpaper plus! But I’m glad to say, I did learn from my mistakes and in the long run have made it back multiple times over, getting paid to install wallpaper for others. 

Sizing the walls is easy, it is water clean up, and dries super fast.

Next, the tools:

The wallpaper... confusingly called a double roll, but is only 1 roll

( Here's a link for paintable wallpaper)

There’s a drip tray, (to fill with warm water to dip the prepasted wallpaper in to activate the glue), the smoothie tool, the wide blade putty knife, and the razor knife both for trimming the paper after it’s on the wall, the scissors to cut the piece initially from the roll, and a level to be sure the lines are plumb.

Here you can see the beadboard paper… which by the way is paintable. The paper feels like it’s made out of some sort of foam-y rubbery material and has dimension to it, so it’s not just printed lines on it.

Once I measured how long a piece of paper and added a couple inches to that length for trimming, I simply cut the paper with scissors.

Next, with it rolled inside out, I dipped that piece in the drip tray, about half filled with warm water, being sure that the entire piece of wallpaper got wet. But not letting the paper soak in the water, that may cause the glue to start to dissipate and come off the paper.

With an old bath towel folded right in front of the drip tray, I lay the wet wallpaper, face down, with glue sided together, and let it rest for a minute or two. This step is called ‘booking’ the paper and is important. During this time the glue activates.

After a couple minutes of booking, I unfold the paper and set it up on the wall, typically lining up the plumb line I would have drawn in pencil on the wall, about a half inch from the outside edge of the paper… however, the level I bought is too tall to fit between the cabinets and counter, so I eyeballed it… yikes, fortunately this is a new construction cottage and the corners are nice and straight.

If this is your first time wallpapering, a backsplash is a pretty good first project, because the pieces are so short you won’t feel that the wet, gooey paper is smothering you, like you may feel if you were working on a tall piece on a ladder. (I’ve had many a piece fall over the top of my head when I was adjusting the plumb… the secret is not to panic… can you tell I struggle with claustrophobia? :) )

Once the piece is plumb, and seams matched, I like to use a smoothie tool to gently get the air bubbles out. Back in the day I used to use a wallpaper brush, but for most modern papers I now use a smoothie tool. (a few years back I installed a vintage textured paper for my daughter, and went back to the good ole brush for that paper, because I was concerned the smoothie tool would burnish the paper)

As I got to outlets and switches, which was practically every piece in this kitchen backsplash, I cut an X with my razor knife. This temporarily allows me to get the paper to lay flat, and once it’s good with the air bubbles out, I go back and trim around the switches better.

Along with trimming the outlets and switches with each piece installed, I also trim the top and bottom of each piece.

By holding a wide blade putty knife on the paper part that I’m going to keep, I run my razor blade knife next to it. That way, the putty knife protects any slips of the razor from going onto the good paper, and gives me a firm place to make a solid cut with the razor.

It’s that easy… no special skills involved.

Then I let the beadboard wallpaper dry overnight and went to the store to select some paint…

I loved the coastal cottage feel of the middle one on this chip, so I had Lowe’s mix up a quart of satin, in their best quality, no VOC paint. (No VOC is important to me… the last thing I want to do is poison the air we breath with paint fumes!)

Once the beadboard is dry, painting it is just like painting any beadboard.

Just no priming necessary, and the grooves aren’t super deep on the ‘beads’ so it’s not super hard to get good coverage with the paint. 

So here is the easiest DIY beadboard ever… after 2 coats of paint:

It looks so real and believable… even when you touch it…

It was the easiest DIY beadboard ever!!! Seriously! And it was the cheapest too, it was just the cost for this one double roll with some leftover wallpaper for another project, plus a quart of paint.

So here is this cute coastal cottage kitchen now…

Not so boring anymore.

I typically would want to paint those cabinets white, but for some reason, (maybe because the beach keeps calling my name) but I don’t mind the light wood they are in. The grain is a very subtle pattern and with the painted beadboard backsplash, they work even better! Yay!

Be sure to stop by Simple Decorating Tips and see the other projects I've done in this Maine coastal cottage! See ya there! :)

Simple Decorating Tips

• Ruby Crossland

How washable is this, especially spattered grease?

• Nellie Livingston

I have 5" x 5" tiles on the backsplash. Would it work to put the beadboard wallpaper over it?

• Margaret

I was thinking of using this on my kitchen cabinets. will I have to use that sizing also?

• Diana

Lightly sand, paint on sealer and let dry before papering. Don't reccommend papering cabinet doors unless you are just papering the middle of doors that have "frames".

• Simple Decorating Tips

Hi Margaret. Yes, I would use that 'sizing' on any surface I was going to paper. It prepares the surface by sealing it so that the glue of the wallpaper can properly adhere to it. Otherwise, the wallpaper glue will just get 'sucked' in to the surface of the wall or cabinet and not be there to hold the paper on. :)

• Elaine

I really like this project as I hate my backsplash yet live alone and am unable to install real wood (transportation to buy the lumber plus cutting/installation). I have two questions: firstly, would the wallpaper adhere to my pre-existing (out-dated) tiled backsplash (they can't be removed) and secondly, how scrubbable is the paper? I'm concerned about the daily grease, etc. and splattering when cooking dinner. You did a great job!

• Gog15852295

Where did u buy the wallpaper?
  • Dianne Finnegan

I have Formica in the backsplash in my kitchen, will this adhere to the formica?

• Julie

Yes, just do a light sanding on the formica and wipe clean then it will be ready to go up!

• Diana

Also have to paint the "sizing"( sealer) on formica, glass, whatever, so that the paper will stick. Even if the wallpaper is prepasted---use thinned down heavy duty wallcovering adhesive too. It can be bought by the gallon or 5 gallons. Don't buy the glue that says that its for prepasted wallcovering. It doesn't work as well. You can paint the heavy duty glue on the wall as you go with a roller, but still dip the prepasted paper and let it "book" as she says. Make sure that you don't press too hard when you smooth out the paper or press too hard on the seams, and make sure that you wash the front of the paper well and dry with a soft towel lightly.I did this for a living for 35 years..

• Simple Decorating Tips

Yep... use the sizing on any surface you're applying wallpaper to first.

• Denise Dome

How easy is it to wipe up. It looks great! I like the technique and it looks easy to do but On one side of my kitchen is my sink and the other side is the stove. It's a very wide galley kitchen so I'd like to do the whole underneath of all the cabinets. Does that make sense. I guess what I'm wondering is how it hold up to grease and water splatters? Would I need to use special paint, cleaners, can it be scrubbed? Thanks!

• Gog15852295

Does this paper have a textured embossed 3D look or is it totally flat.

• Elizabeth Dion

It is textured and embossed

• Judypatoodie

This is a paintable wallpaper called Anaglyta. As a designer I am very familiar with this paper. I've also used it to cover bathroom and kitchen cabinet doors. Just follow the instructions that come with the paper. It is preglued; you only have to book it for 5 minutes. Wait 24 hours before painting.

• Simple Decorating Tips

Yes Gogramma88, it is textured. So in person looking at and even touching the paper up on the wall it looks and feels like beadboard. It's pretty neat stuff!
  • Irene

I live in a rental but would love to have a backsplash like yours. Do you know if they have beadboard paper that is removable without leaving a residue?

• Sandra emberton

Sizing the wall makes for easy removal. You probably will have to wash it after you remove it.

• Mcs20054319

I saw on another hometalk craft project that they put removable contact paper on the walls, then glued the wallpaper to the contact paper. They did that because they lived in a rental as well.

• Jeanette

They have so many patterns & styles in removable vinyl now that you don't even need to paper over it. Plus vinyl gives you a surface it's easily cleaned which is great for kitchen applications.

• Simple Decorating Tips

Yes, sizing is supposed to aid in both the paper staying put and coming down easily. For sure talk to your landlord first though because the sizing will need to be repainted over once you removed the paper.
  • Sandy Wegmann

Have you ever papered over old wallpaper? I have paper below a chair rail in my bedroom and would love to just put the "beadboard" paper over it -- any tips?

• Gig7619074

I have painted over wallpaper in several rooms in my house and it turned out great! I had a professional painter tell me that if you pull a piece of the wallpaper off and it comes off pretty easily, you DO NOT want to paint over it. But if it's hard to pull off then that means it is glued well and will be ok to paint over. We were fortunate that our wallpaper had been applied well, thus making it ok to paint.

• Sandy Wegmann

Thanks -- am going to give it a try -- I am worried about my dog scratching up the area under a window she loves to look out -- will have to buy extra so I can re-do that spot if she wrecks it!!

• Simple Decorating Tips

I'd test it out first and see if the paper will adhere. If the bottom paper that is there already is vinyl or vinyl coated, even if it adheres well to the wall, like Gigi mentioned above, vinyl doesn't accept paint very well, so you may need to use a special primer first then size it, then paper. You'll find out if it will stay up as soon as the primer soaks into the paper... if it starts bubbling and gapping away, you will need to remove the bottom paper first. And I'd do it before that primer dried.
  • Vickie G

Hi. I can't believe I found this tutorial. Late last year we remodeled our kitchen and used this exact wallpaper! I love the look and it was super easy...but I find that it 'dents' easily. Being that it is foam, of sorts, it is not very tough. I painted it with 2 coats of semi gloss paint, hoping it would make it a harder surface. What do I need to do? I really don't want to replace other but I hate all the little dents I get from normal kitchen activity.

• Simple Decorating Tips

hi Vickie! No, it's not tough like it's wood look-alike... so for sure it's intended for an area that doesn't get banged in to a lot. I love it as my backsplash, as that doesn't get stuff hitting it, so it seems perfect for us.

• Annette lawton

I am redoing a farm house double wide kitchen. We left the top cabinets and will be replacing the doors after I am finised fixing the main part of the cabinets. I wanted to cover the main parts of the cabinets with bead board. I am wondering if this paper would hold up with the wear of a kitchen?

• Simple Decorating Tips

Yes and no... how's that for a vague answer?! it's soft foam that makes the texture relief of the beadboard. So if it's a spot that you'll be touching day in and day out, it might not be perfect for that application.
    • Simple Decorating Tips

But if it's in a spot in the kitchen, like this backsplash that doesn't really get much direct contact, it's perfect!
  • Hillary Rosenfeld

I'm working on a basement project and would like to do bead board or shiplap over a portion of the wood chip board. Would this adhese to wood chip board?

• Simple Decorating Tips

I think that would work ok if you could prime and size the board to seal it up really well so that the wallpaper glue would adhere properly.
  • Catherine Hausenfluke

I love beadboard as well, my backsplash and tops are Formica ... could I use these products to give some interest to the backsplash?

• Jul21427036

Where can I buy the wallpaper? I've never seen it before and it looks great!
  • Jennifer

Does it hold up to moisture, heat etc? Is it easy to clean?
    • Sandra Crosbie

It definitely holds up to heat and moisture. I have it in my bathroom for the past two years. I too wanted real beadboard. My husband was dead set against it, he said it would be a nightmare to keep. Because damp and moisture would have a party away from prying eyes. So I found this on a roll, it has stayed beautiful. I wash it down and there is no problems, as a matter of fact I've even had to use mould remover on it because my bathroom doesn't have a fan. But it came up brand new. It is easy to paint and keep hygienically clean. Go for it.
    • Msc12149616

I have "tin tile" wallpaper in my bathroom on the ceiling. I painted it with a bright white enamel paint. It has held up for the past 15 years, it is washable, and every now and again I refresh the paint.
  • Jody Ritchie

Absolutely LOVE what you did!!! Ingenious!!! Any plans doing above the cabinets as well?

• Cheryl

I would love to know whether or not this wallpaper is easy to remove. I rent, so it must be removed when & if I ever move from here. As someone who has wallpapered a great deal, could you please tell me ASAP?
    • LR

MUST use sizing before and it will come off in sheets. Will have to allow time for removing, because you have to sponge it down with very wet sponge, and let it set a while. Keep it wet, and the paper should come off on sheets.
    • Msc12149616

Wallpaper is always a pain to remove, it never comes off easy and it takes a lot of time. You may want to check with your landlord, show him/her pictures and ask if they would like you to leave the improvement, you may be pleasantly surprised if he/she says "yes"
    • Doreen Hall

I agree with Mschererpott, Ask your landlord, if they say yes get it in writing and staple it to your lease! Judge Judy will love me for this advice!!
    • Simple Decorating Tips

Some wallpaper will come off very easy, some not so much. This paper feels like it has a lot of vinyl in it, so I don't think it'd soak up the water all the well to loosen the glue. Sizing the walls well will help, but depending on what the walls are made of will probably play a key role. If it's plaster or paneling, and not sheetrock, the paper would peel off better. Sheetrock can soak in the water you're trying to loosen the glue with and rip easier. Hope that helps you out a bit.
    • Cheryl

Thank you all for your suggestions & comments!! The advise re asking my landlord was worth it for sure. I got samples of the wallpaper from a local store, took 2 pictures of where I wanted to place it & "Photo-Shopped" one of them. The Landlord was all for it, but, I still have to remove it when I leave. I decided to wallpaper the wall behind my stove & the adjacent counters. It worked out very well as I placed the wallpaper on wall board pieces & attached them to the wall with double sided tape ... which comes off quickly with a product called "GooGone". Yes, I tested it first. LOL
  • Spartychic

Great idea! Where is your coastal cottage? do you rent it out?
    • Simple Decorating Tips

Thanks! Our cottage was in Kennebunkport, Maine. We love it there. Sadly, we just sold the cottage... life's so busy, we decided to not have to maintain it too... going to just rent a place when we go there this summer. Many places to rent... but you have to get one early... like within a month or so. :)
  • Cha15337239

When you used the smoother, did that make the grooves go flat? I might try this, I love beadboard!
  • Karen Oler Sandlin

Love this! What finish of paint did you use? Gloss or semi gloss?
  • Carol Tresenriter

Is this easy to clean? Considering where it is I think it would need cleaning often.
    • Becky merrick

yes but the surface of the paper will tear real easy and when you touch it up with paint it leaves a noticeable place. If you don’t hit it with anything it’s beautiful. I put it in the bathroom and it tore by just touching it with a clothes hanger.
    • Simple Decorating Tips

Right, Becky has nailed it. It can wipe down nicely, but it is soft foam under the paint, so it can snag and dent kind of easily.
  • Ohiorn

I'd like to do this in my bathroom & kitchen but the walls are not smooth. Will this work? Also, my kitchen has wall paper on it that I would like to paint over-any advice? Your project looks great!
    • Kathy Farnham Sampson

This kind of textured wall paper is very thick and forgiving of imperfections in the wall. If you have sharp points in your wall texturing, you might want to sand them down a little, and be sure to prime/apply wall sizing before hanging the paper.
    • Janet Keck Love

yes I have covered wood paneling and it worked great
    • Kathy Farnham Sampson

Add an answer...To your other question: I once rented a place that was wallpapered, and then painted over 7-10 coats of paint. The walls were in bad shape, so we decided to take it all off and repair and paint. Cutting thru all those coats of paint to remove the wallpaper was a big job! Would have been easier for the first person to remove the paper and clean the wall before painting!

• Simple Decorating Tips

Thanks! The walls do need to be fairly smooth. Can you use some spackling or sheetrock mud to smooth them down a bit first? Just be sure to size the walls well, that mud is quite porous! (I'd do 2 coats of sizing over it) To see if your paper can hold paint, do a test spot if you can. I have had it go both ways. In an old house we owned several years ago, the wallpaper had already been painted, so I painted over that no problem. On a newer papered wall though, the paint made the paper bubble and fall off... it was a mess.
    • Nancy Flemming

You must ensure you buy paintable wall paper otherwise you will have problems with it bubbling and peeling.

• Karen Christen

Where did you buy this material? I have been wanting to put bead board up around my dining area. I have done the wood bead board before, but needed my husband's help. I have hung wallpaper by myself, so this looks like something I could handle. Thanks for the information.
  • Christine

I considered doing the same thing in my kitchen, however, my concern, and every person I talked to, is the paper near the stove will get soiled easily, and possibly start coming off the wall because of heat. How long have you had it there? How is it holding up?
    • Kathie Ball

I've had washable wallpaper on my kitchen walls for years and I've never had a problem from the heat of the stove. Yes it gets dirty, but I just wash it. They also sell a plastic wall guard you can put behind the stove.
    • Debby Dale

I did my kitchen cabinets with this about 10 years ago. I painted with a white gloss paint and I wash my cabinets weekly (I have a very messy brood, lots of spills and splashes) I sometimes even use my turbo brush and I have had no problems. Just make sure you seal all borders and seams which can be done with a thin bead of caulk.
    • Kathrine Anderson

I had wall paper behind my stove in a past home. It held up very well and as far as I know, it's still going strong.
    • Rosel Kynast

You could paint it with a clear glossy paint that is washable.
      I had a farm house and did the glossy on wallpaper above the
      cabinets, it worked fine for us.
    • EdiLeck

I have used the 'tin ceiling' style from allen & roth as a back splash. It is beautiful and it does stand up to washing as long as you gently wipe it off, but it does not stand up to scrubbing! It is a 3-D wall paper and the foam 3-D designs will scrub off. I love mine; I just have to clean it gently!
  • Mary Coakley

Hi Is the.paper already glued.how does it work near.wate?Thanks

• Nancy Flemming

Not sure on this one, but many wallpapers are prepasted for hanging. When it is painted, it becomes waterproof, however, I would use emi gloss or gloss in a kitchen for better protection

• Audrey Birch

Where do u get the stuff to size the wall
  • Jeanne

can it go over tile???
    • Susan

not unless the tile is absolutely smooth - the grout "indentions" (does that make sense) the impression will show thru the paper..
    • Pam

the grout lines might show thru . you could contact the wallpaper company or store and ask for a sample piece and apply with just water to activate the glue and see....but you can always use acrylic paint & primer to change the color of a back splash
    • Jeanne

Thank you !!!!
    • Jeanne

Thank you
  • Brigitte

Is removing the bead board like wallpaper?
  • Jenilynnecook

I have a backsplash I would like to cover in bead board also...my problem is that it’s the same material as the counter. Could I still install ? Or would I have to tear it off first? That would be a scary job since there isn’t anything but a silver piece between the backs and counter.
    , This shows where the two pieces meet, This is on the left side of kitchen counter my kitchen layout is exactly like yours minus the beautiful countertops
  • Gmh28122999

Where did you find the decorative fish? Love your work!
  • Maggie

Hi Li,
    I was wondering if this could be used over laminate. My DH put laminate all the way up behind the short backsplash to under the cabinets. Yes, it is easy to clean but I really have never liked it, just to much of the same thing. I have done quite a bit of wallpapering but not sure how the glue will adhere to the smoothness of the laminate.
    Yours looks so quaint and country. Nice job!
    marg
    • Joan Stanley

Yes! My laminate counter GOES ALL THE WAY UP TO THE CABINETS! and it's avocado green! 😝😝😝
      I first put wallpaper trim up but changed it after a few years. The current paper has been up 2years and is sticking fine, even behind the sink! It is a plastic coated paper so I can wipe it down.
  • Reenie Smith Shaw

I LOVE it!!! Would someone who has never, ever, EVER worked with wallpaper, be able to do this???
    Also, living on the West coast, your choice of colour is bang on!!!
    thanks so much for sharing this!
    • Joan Stanley

This would be a great starter project. It is important to keep it straight so use a small level and pencil in guide lines. Take your time. You'll be proud of yourself.
    • Reenie Smith Shaw

Thanks Joan!!!! I will be so jealous of myself if I can do it! 😜.
  • Mary Ann Goldberg

Did you need or use any kind of end cap on the edges of the paper? I simply love what you did - color and all!
    • Simple Decorating Tips

I have installed it a few times now as a backsplash, and the last one was in the basement apartment of the house we're currently renovating. I just lined the edge up with the edge of the upper and lower cabinets. It looks great without a trim piece there. But it would be easiest enough to cut a little piece of flat molding and tack it on, butting it next to the edge of the paper. (you can see this treatment in the basement apartment, on a post on my blog: Repurposing Cabinets
    • Jax26891925

I'm thinking of doing this in my first bathroom and leaving it white and painting the top half of the wall. Been meaning to do that for awhile now but you know how things go, break downs here and there so maybe this spring fingers crossed
      Can't wait. .Ps thanks for the reminder
  • Shortcake

I have backsplash lower part of my wall that runs from one end where my sink and oven to other end of my cabinets. Could I put that over my backsplash and run up the wall around my upper cabinets without having to pull that off?. I always keep that cleaned real good. thank you.
    • Simple Decorating Tips

Hi Brenda, What is your backsplash material? If it would hold paint/sizing correctly and is smooth, then I would imagine it would work well.
    • Shortcake

Yes it's smooth, but it runs up the wall part of the way and runs right into the wall it's self. I had planned on doing that whole wall and up above to the cabinets as well. It's not sure if I spell this right or not having old lady brain farts. Lol Lanoliam can't spell today. Lol and up where it ends it lays pretty good with it being thin. I wish that I could send pic. but have no way of doing that right now. I appreciate your help.
    • Simple Decorating Tips

Oh, so you're wondering about extending the wallpaper over the laminate and onto the drywall (or plaster) wall itself? Yes, that should work as well. There is probably a slight difference in the depths of where the laminate stops, right? So at that little bump, I'd try to feather it a little with some spackling to smooth over that transition. Then be sure to seal the spackling with primer, then size and you should be good to go.
    • Shortcake

I would take it right up to the molding. Thank you Liz for the information. I think this is the way I'm going to go. When I do it and get it done I'll take a pic. of it to show. Thank you again. :)
  • Sharyl Vh

is it washable ? I'm thinking of putting it in a basement bath / laundry room ~~
    • Simple Decorating Tips

Hi Sharyl, I would describe it as wipeable. Once it's painted, it's wipeable such as a painted wall would be except that it is soft foam texture so you wouldn't want to push into it and scrub or you may damage it. Hope that helps you with your decision.
    • Sharyl Vh

Thank you for your answer & your help

• Mar14036319

I used the bead board paper in my dining room below the chair rail,also used it in my washer ares,works great,looks like real wood,had many compliments on it,so far no problems.

• Maggie

My entire backsplash is formica from the top of the countertop to the bottom of the cabinets. Do you think I could use this on a non porous surface. I would like it to be removable and was wondering if a spray adhesive would work and let me remove it without ruining the formica

Thanks for your input.

• Li

This type paper is easily removed. I have heard it called expanded vinyl. It is available in many patterns. I covered kitchen cabinet door panels in a rental house I was selling, the process was fast, affordable and super easy. It eliminated the need to paint all cabinets, drawer fronts, etc. I painted the expanded vinyl and kept everything else woodtoned. It gave a tired kitchen a nice facelift and saved me a great deal of work, time and money. For continuity I repeated the process in the bathrooms, all cabinets had the same dated designs.

• Michelle

Do you think it work covering up an old yucky existing back splash

• Simple Decorating Tips

Hi Michelle! Yes it could cover up an existing ugly backsplash, but depending on what existing one is you may gave to prep it a little. Basically, you'll need to prep it for wallpaper... so clean, fairly smooth and then a coat of wall prep (wall sizing).

• Jax26891925

Is there something you can put on top of this to make this alittle more waterproof?

• "Miss Claire"

Your instructions are superb..........are you a teacher by trade? How much did the wallpaper cost? Thank you for sharing your talents with us.

• Simple Decorating Tips

Oh Miss Claire, you are so sweet. No, I'm not a teacher by trade. I do always like to hear if my readers understand what I'm trying to tell them... You know how it is, in your head you know what you're trying to say, but sometimes missed directions happen in the verbalizing part. ;) The wallpaper cost is very comparable to average wallpaper cost... Here is a link to it: Beadboard Wallpaper

• Janet Augustyn

Love this idea, would like to put it behind my stove as well as sink and countertop. Is this washable, or is there a way to make it washable?

TIA!

• Margaret Howard

How well would this hold up to a lot of water, like behind a kitchen sink?

• Simple Decorating Tips

Pretty much the same as any other wallpaper & painted wall surface. It's really not meant for soaking. I'm sure the paper would lift off it it got soaked.

• Laura Hawkins

Can you use peel and stock floor tile for a back splash?

• Simple Decorating Tips

Hi Laura, I don't have much experience with peel 'n stick tiles, but I would imagine that that would work fine as long as the surface was fairly smooth to accept the adhesive on the tiles.

• Wish I knew

I hung this wallpaper several years ago in my dining room as wainscoting. Looked good, but it is like a puffy paper and anything that presses against it leaves an indentation or tear or chip. Alas, it will have to come down soon anyway as a new rescue cat has decided to use my wall as a scratching post and the paper is covered in nicks, scratches, etc. Probably replace with real bead board. And no, won't be getting rid of the cat, child has already become attached.

• Simple Decorating Tips

Oh that's too bad, but fun for you to have a new pet. I have heard that cats can be challenging with all sorts of household items, including Christmas trees.

• Lyn

The cabinet color reminds me of beach sand. And the color blue on the wallpaper reminds me of the sea!! So I think this is awesome and you did a great job!!! Now GO TO THE BEACH!!! 😎🥰🥰🤗