Homestead Chronicles
Homestead Chronicles
  • New Straitsville, OH

Fresh Herb Jars as a Handmade Gift - Plan for Next Year Now!

$12

This post may be too late for this past Christmas BUT it is right on time for next Christmas! Why is that? Because if this is a handmade gift you would like to give next year, then you need make a spot in the garden and order the right seeds for it this Spring! Check out our latest post on the blog "Fresh Herb Jars as a Handmade Gift." Click the link below the photos for complete instructions!
fresh herb jars as a handmade gift plan for next year now, crafts, gardening
Homestead Chronicles

• Catherine Smith

What a great idea. I'm making a note of it, for next year. I followed the site, and the directions are really simple to follow. I have to disagree with the author about freezing herbs. Evidently, she was freezing them in large quantity which does does turn out a product that's not appealing. I take small amounts and freeze them in ice cube trays. Use a seal-a-meal to store the batches and use the frozen herbs directly in stews, casseroles, etc., the flavor of the herb is not changed and it's easy-peezy when cooking. I think I'd also include directions on how to use and several of my recipes, since several of the people I'd be gifting are not use to using fresh herbs. Big, big difference in the taste! LOL

• Homestead Chronicles

@Catherine Smith You are so right! It is a huge difference in taste. And you are also right that you can freeze herb in ice cube trays, but in the quantity I am talking about here, I am not sure how practical that is. Yes, I was talking about a pretty large quantity. But everything you said here is true! I just don't do it that way for the reasons I explain in the post. In this case, dried is likely better because you are gifting in jars, not adding directly from the freezer.

• Debby Boyle

I love the idea! I love getting gifts like this!!