Walk-in Closet Makeover

When I moved into my (Steph) house 4 years ago, the master bedroom had a closet in the hallway and a second, walk-in closet. I thought the hallway closet was adequate and the walk-in would be a great room for storage and an audio recording booth (I know, nerdy and not really on most peoples' 'must' list- but it was on mine).

​Now that I have made a recording booth in my office closet, I was ready to make the walk-in closet- well, a closet! Follow the journey below...
Hallway to closet before

For full project details click here.
Materials:
  • (4) Shelf and Rod Bracket (Home Depot)
  • (2) Rods (Home Depot)
  • (2) Shelf Brackets (Home Depot)
  • (3) Hardware Packs for Brackets (Home Depot)
  • (3) Rubbermaid White Shelves (Home Depot)
  • (2) 4-Cube Organizer Great Finish (Target)
  • (8) White Boxes (IKEA)
  • ​Shoe Slotz (Amazon)
  • Chandelier (IKEA)
  • Paint- Behr Venus Teal
  • Paint- Rust-Oleum Gray Caulk paint
  • Various Bins (Target)
Step 1: Shop

We started by doing some shopping. We found brackets that had a rod and a shelf support built in. We also found some cube storage at target. As you can see in my original closet, I like using boxes to hold clothes but didn't have a place to store them. We thought about making a cubby holder, but the price was right at target and they fit the space. 
Step 2: Paint and Plan

When I moved in my house, we painted the closet white as a base. I started making it a recording booth, you can see the collapsible table I had installed. Also, the closet had this electrical box for the alarm system in the middle of one of the walls. I also wanted to replace the builders grade light with something fun! Mom painted over the white walls with the same color paint that we used in my master bathroom.
Step 3: Install Shelves

After the paint dried, I installed 3 sets of brackets and shelves. The key was finding the studs in my wall so the brackets would be nice and strong. Our favorite tool, the magnetic stud finder makes finding studs a breeze! 
Step 4: Install Accessory Organizers 

Previously, we had made a jewelry and belt organizer and recently made a scarf and hat organizer. I installed those, again attaching them to studs for a strong hold. We also painted the electrical box with chalk paint and added some magnets, so now it doesn't look so out-of-place!
Step 5: New Lighting

I wanted a fun light for the closet so we found this chandelier at Ikea. I removed the old light and installed the new one, but I found out the new light was way too long. It had an adjustable chain but it was too long so I removed the chain and connected the chandelier to the highest point it could connect. 
My walk-in closet has a great feel and is very functional now. I didn't go with a pre-designed system because I wanted to design it for my needs. I considered building shelves and built-ins, but I think it would have cost more money than buying ready made.

What room or space have you been wanting to makeover? What's holding you back from getting started?
For more details please visit our website!

Mother Daughter Projects

• Lisas Rexstar

You have sunshine yellow walls! You painted the inside of your closet teal! I love you! My closet (not a walk-in) is due for overhaul as soon as we finish the bathroom (sunshine yellow!). Like you, I'm a fan of Home Depot. Thanks for the wonderful ideas I've pilfered from you!

• Patty McDade

this inspired me to redo my closet, it looks close to yours, so I did as you did and this is now my closet, thank you