10 Minute Upcycled Crushed Gold Tin Can Planters.

I admit it, I'm a bit of a sucker for the current succulents trend. I think they do look cute in the home. I specifically wanted some adorn my stenciled pineapple console table that sits in my living room.

I couldn't, however, find the right ones as I was going for a kind of shabby glam look!

As I love to upcycle and repurpose things, I thought why not make my own shabby glam planters out of tin cans. I'm so pleased how these planters turned out and with the right succulents, they look just like pineapples which are perfect for my console table above.

This is such a quick and easy craft all you need are some tin cans a hammer and some gold chrome spray paint. I was lucky in that I had spray paint left over from my pineapple table makeover but if you want to buy some click here to see the gold chrome paint I used

Lay your cans on the side and simple hammer them to crush them.

Rotate the cans as you hammer. You are trying to achieve a kind of crumpled bag look.

Once you are happy with the look of your crushed cans. Spray paint them with the gold chrome paint.

Once dry all you need to do is plant your succulents, flowers or herbs.

As I was planting succulents which aren't watered very often, instead of drilling drain holes in the bottom of the cans. I just placed a layer of gravel into the base of the cans to help with water drainage before adding my compost and succulents.

I know I've already said it but I do love how these planters look with my succulents. To me, they look just pineapples and complement my shabby glam pineapple table.

This is not the first time I have used tin cans as planters I made some colourful tin can planters in a clever pallet holder which you can see by clicking here.

• Tin cans
  • Hammer
  • Gold spray paint

Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Marie Dube

These are beautiful!! I think I missed something, though. U said gravity took over as they were drying + u lost yr design but once dry u sprayed gold on the inside of lamp. How did u use the Unicorn Spit on outside + not lose yr design? Also, what were the color names u used 4 the green, blue + purple. Did i mix them together in the syringe?

Thank you. Absolutely beautiful!!

• Claire at Pillarboxblue

I think you are talking about a completely different project here. You’ve asked this question in the wrong place. Sorry !

• Monica

Lovely and decorative !!

can I ask where you found the pineapple handles used on the furniture ?? Did you buy them or made them from a mold ?? Please help me to find similar ones or a mold ...

Hugs from Monica .... Spain

(mamablitger@hotmail.com )...

• Monica

Hi again

Thank you so much for your kind and fast reply. I’m grateful that you took time to reply .. 😍😍😍

• Shuganne

Oh! My! My! My! Your creativity and bold choices are truly artistic! It seems as though not everyone likes dented golden tin flowerpots and that's ok. Remember that ooold song about ticky tacky houses? Not for you, and to a lesser extent, not for me. My colors are just not as brilliant. I celebrate us! Skol!

I have been in a copper phase for a good 20 years and it's been good. But lately polished chrome has been catching my eye. We'll have to ezplore where this leads me.

I thought your potted plants first reminded me of the more commonly styled flowerpots covered by loose burlap bags with a twine tied around the top. Do you think so?

I adore the three flower pots in a row. I was wondering if you tried putting a heavy old board over the tins and pounding evenly on top to give them deeper dents and shorter pots in the end? Or tried a ball peen hammer to give some rounded dents for variety? If not on this set, perhaps on another? Or are you satisfied with your dented tins and ready to move onto other interest? I'm heading over to your site to see your other creations. Thanks for sharing!