Upcycled Fence Board Planters

I love to garden, and and easy way for us to have all the fresh veggies on hand is to have raised beds in my back yard. We took some old fence boards from when we replaced out fence, and turned them into planters.

Start with some old fence board, even the 4x4 posts. People in your neighborhood are always replaceing fences, so ask them for the boards, or if you are going to replace your fence, keep them for future projects!!

Cut a slit into the 4 x4 at a right angel to each other, you need to do this to 4 board to make a square or rectangle bed. Slide 4 fence boards into the cut. This makes each bed about 2 feet tall, but you can make them as tall or as short as you want.

Here is a square version we made, and also added a top "cover" to it to finshin it off and make it look pretty, the cover also let you rest your tools and supplies as a little ledge when working in the beds.

You can make the beds as long as the fence boards, it all depends on the size you want to make.

Here is a video tour of the planters we set up 4 years ago.

Erin Reed | Erin Reed Makes

• Sandy Reed

You go girl!!!! I love to garden too!

• Bill Bedwin

will an ornametal owl keep deer out of the yard

• Judi

Deer will also eat hot peppers, and of course, strawberries !!! Owls will not deter them or the birds on cherry trees .

• Rankinrw

The only thing I would be concerned about is the arsenic in the treated fence wood leaching into the soil and then being absorbed by the veggies and fruits grown in the raised beds.

• Frank Amyx

Arsenic treated fence boards? I doubt it. Those fences are used around gardens all the time. And, it would be too dangerous to build a fence with lumber treated with arsenic.

The planters look good and serve a very practical purpose for the second hand lumber. I use a lot of it for many projects.