Zest it Up
Zest it Up
  • Atascadero, CA

DIY Modern Plant Stands

$10

Here is a quickie little project that will give your patio or interiors a splash of modern cool. I love that this is repurposing something that tends to be in abundance by the end of summer: tomato cages. Whether you have old rusty cages, or brightly colored powder coated ones like these, the result is a collection of stands that gives you versatility of height and some sick lines!
Photo Cred: Anya McInroy
diy modern plant stands, gardening
Supplies:
-tomato cages
-metal shears

At first, it may seem more than a little daunting to cut through the metal of these cages.  It actually is pretty darn thick.  However, if you give it a bit of a push and pull while you are cutting, the metal will snap off quicker than you would think (thank goodness…phew).
diy modern plant stands, gardening
To create varied heights, simply remove the vertical wires up to the bottom circle for a tall one, and up to the middle circle for a shorter stand. If you find yourself wanting a variety of color, feel free to spray paint these bad boys using Rustoleum spray paint! Rustoleum spray paint can withstand any outdoor condition and comes in a variety of colors!
diy modern plant stands, gardening
Not rocket science, I know…but I love the playfulness of them.  I think I will be experimenting with this one even more.  They feel so clean and unobtrusive.
Ahhh, how lovely is the silence of growing things…

xoxo,
Chanda

• Tomato cages
  • Metal shears
Zest it Up

• Cindi Smith

Have any ideas on bird houses and bird baths?

• Zest it Up

Love that idea!! I think Mary has the right idea on how to make this project into a bird bath!

• Patt

Where can I purchase the colored wire tomato cages?

• Terri G

What kind of pots did you use for these? What size? I would think the plant would be too heavy for the tomato cages.

• Pauline St-Amand

Yes, i will, i think it's a great idea! i would place another smaller one at the bottom on the floor.

• Robin C. Sanders

Yes!! Just laid a new patio and already have the cages and spray paint!