Farmhouse Style Planter Frame for Your Outdoor Space

Created with weathered looking wood, hand painted window screening, and plants in galvanized buckets, this frame will look great on your patio or porch.

farmhouse style planter frame for your outdoor space, gardening
I created this project because I wanted something beautiful to hang on a brick wall on my front porch.
This is where the idea for this farmhouse frame was born. The twist of using screening instead of more traditional glass gives the frame a great farmhouse style.
It’s not only subtle, but it's not overdone.
The galvanized buckets with the green plants give it just the right fresh feel I like. My frame measures 28″x 24″

First, use a miter saw to cut a 1x4 to the size you'd like.

Then, use angel braces and screws on the back to attach the pieces to each other.

Now, use a combination of paint and stain on the front to give your frame a weathered wood look. You could use either stain or paint, and it will look lovely. But I like to combo the two for some depth.

Apply either one first, and then the other on top, and you'll have a unique look for your wood.

Now, cut regular window screen to size, and staple it to the back of your frame.

For the typography, simply print whatever word you'd like from your home printer, and place it under your screen.
Simply trace the letters with a sharpie.

Now, make sure your galvanized tubs have holes in the bottom, if they don't add them yourself with a nail.
Then plant your plants.

Add robe hooks on the front to hang your plants

• Wood
  • Angle braces
  • Window screen
Molly - Just a Little Creativity

• Linda Abate

I love the farm house/shabby chic look and your welcome sign is awesome. Such a great way to make family and friends feel welcomed when they see this on a front porch, entry way into your home or just mounted on the wall. A great job.
  • Wendy Terrill

I have an old window O can use for this . I love it. Thanks for sharing your idea.