DIY Master Closet (Before and After)

One of the scariest projects I took on was my master closet. Scary because I had never taken on anything quite so large before. You see, I started pricing out custom closets (the average was around $2500). Then I headed to Lowe’s and Home Depot to look at what they had. Both the Martha Stewart (HD) and Alan Roth (Lowe’s) options were nice, but they were still coming in around $1000. Our closet is really oddly shaped and the window made a standard option, well… not really an option. So I took to the web and came across Ana White’s website. She had a great post about a master closet she had done. I read, reread and read again because I was a little scared. It seemed easy enough but I just wasn’t sure I could hack it. I mean this was actually building something! I have a hard time putting together an Ikea shelf and now I’m going to build one?????
So I freaked out about it for about a week and then I put on my big girl pants, drew out some plans, headed to Lowe’s for supplies and set out to begin. I had all of my cuts made at Lowe’s – I mean why drag out my circular saw when I can use theirs???? And with that I got to work. It took about a month worth of weekends but I'm happy with the results. And best of all... it really was pretty simple to do!
** The before pics are pretty gross because we had just started moving everything out of the closet for the remodel.
View from the door (after)
View from the door (after)
The view from the door (before)
The view from the door (before)
Right side (before)
Right side (before)
Right side (after - I had to take it at night because of the glare on the window).
Right side (after)
Right side (after)
Right side (after)
Right side (after)
Left side (before)
Left side (before)
Left side (after)
Left side (after)
The new light
The new light
The new door handles
The new door handles
The Rozy Home

• Carol

This really did inspire me. I have a reach in closet that I'm taking off the doors, side door frames and top soffet so the opening is completely clear. Then I can put shelves on the sides like you have without obstruction. That will give me so much more storage! Love this!!

• Rose Broadway

This is such a beautiful closet now, and just what I need to do to mine! Great job!