VINTAGE METAL CHAIR MAKEOVER

1 Material
$25.00

While visiting my sister-in-law (Carol) in Southern California… I was quickly put to work! Yeah right, who am I fooling… I wanted an excuse to be outside and soak up that beautiful SoCal weather. Carol wanted to brighten up her aged and worn vintage metal chairs. She has a beautiful backyard and these dated little chairs just weren’t cuttin’ it in that pretty colorful backyard of hers. She knew I’d be up for the challenge and I was excited to give it a shot!Carol and her husband entertain a lot and she loves lots of color. She chose a different color for each chair. I admit, I was a bit skeptical but … I love how they turned out.This fun project was really not hard at all. It was a bit time consuming because of the “waiting for the paint to dry” factor. However, for me, waiting for paint to dry in a beautiful backyard in SoCal was not a problem
First off, I lightly sanded all areas on each chair, then hosed them down with plain water. After towel drying as much as possible, I left them out to dry overnight upside down (water can gather in the hollow part of the legs so I turned them over).
The next morning, I sprayed each one lightly with Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch Ultra Cover 2X Gloss. In my opinion, gloss is best for outdoor projects so that the elements will clean off easier. Once the paint dried, I lightly sanded each one again and wiped each one down with a damp cloth to rid them of any sanding particles. Making sure they were totally dry again, I lightly sprayed them once again. Thats it!
I stood back next to Carol's fragrant orange tree and enjoyed the finished metal chair project. The colors are fun and really amazing.
This was such a fun and satisfying project. I give kudos to Carol for forcing me to think out of my “bland color box”. This could not have turned out better! Enjoy your day ~Lela (TrashFindRedesigned on ETSY) My BLOG at www.trashfindredesigned.com

• Rust-Oleum Gloss Spray Paints  (Home Depot)

Trash Find Redesigned

• Maren Rasmussen Peel

Any idea how many chairs one can of paint would do?
    • Judy Heller

my experience is 2 chairs per can. But with all the coats she used, and they do look GREAT, I’ll bet it’s more like 1.5 per can :)

• Brenda Cox

I love this idea.  I have two chairs similar to these, but the seats are leather covered. One seat has an open ripped hole about two inches long one inch wide. Can I spray paint over the seats? Would this hold up? These are too rusty to take apart to recover them. Thanks.
    • Brenda Cox

Thanks, I appreciate you. Working on the chairs now.  Adding cushions.
  • Beautiful!! What set up your friend used to decorated with these gorgeous chairs?