Make a Deconstructed Shabby Chandelier

I am in love with these chandeliers! After making them I have been on the lookout for other lamp shades in different shapes and sizes! A perfect way to add some interest to any room!

Can you believe this water stained lamp shade is going to blossom into a romantic chandelier? Well it is!

Start by cutting a small slit in the shade.

Rip off the fabric. If you have a shade that will not rip, simply cut off the fabric.

Now you will have the metal skeleton of the lamp shade. I decided to keep the white around the top and bottom. Your shade may or may not have this band.

I had planned to use white fabric for the chandelier but after I tore off the shade fabric I realized it was the perfect for tearing into strips so I re used that. (it made the project even better, being able to repurpose the shade fabric)

Cut small slits in the fabric and pull to create torn strips.

Then tie the strips to the wire frame. After I tied on the fabric I decided I wanted to add some color. Denim came to mind but I didn't have any denim fabric or old jeans.... Then I remembered I had a canvas I had gotten on clearance that was covered with denim.

That is how project flow around here. I'm not much of a planner and I am always rushing to finish projects so the project unfolds out of supplies I have around.

I pulled the denim off the canvas, saving the wooden frame for another project of course. Cut the slits on the denim one at a time and pull the strips with pliers.

Then add the denim strips to the lamp shade frame with the white strips.

Then take a smaller shade and pull off the fabric down to the wire.

Add some glass crystals on the bottom of the lamp shade to dangle down. I used jute because that is what I had on hand. It added some extra texture.

Tie the smaller lamp shade to the inside on the larger lamp shade, allowing the crystals to dangle low.

Now hang your romantic deconstructed shabby chic chandelier. For the home show I added eye hooks to an old screen door to hang two of the chandeliers from and then hung another one through the area where the screen was gone.

What do you think? I am going to hang them in my shop after the show. Wouldn't they add a nice romantic touch to a bedroom? What colors would you add to yours?

For a complete tutorial just click the link below! Looking to add more DIY projects to your decor? What about a wooden lantern made out of scrap wood or a $5 blanket storage ladder! Come check out all our DIY projects and tutorials at divaofdiy.com!

Diva of DIY

• Irish Pack

Did you string your own crystals or did you buy them like that? If so, where did you get them? I love the look!

• Cathy Kurpil

Michaels runs some great sales on strung beads and crystals, I just picked up a bunch for 70% off! I love this project!

• Amy

What’s with the pieces of shredded pants?

• Sharidan

Is the old screen door for sale? I’m very interested!!!

• Lannie

I use a lot of the projects from here but I don't get the tore up strips those just look nasty to me now the crystals I think I could turn into something nice but not the strips of fabric this doesn't look good to me but think you for the idea I will use it with the crystals.

• Kat Rogers

Yes, I'm not into SHABBY chic... My Purrsonal Taste sends me to thinking that strips of colorful ribbons would look Lovely! I Do LOVE The Crystals, BUT NEVER ACRYLIC ONES! Really nice glass ones are quite reasonably priced on Amazon.

IF I had a lampshade that was damaged, I would definitely do this project... So I Will Save It!

• Doris

Awesome