Make a Deconstructed Shabby Chandelier

I am in love with these chandeliers! After making them I have been on the lookout for other lamp shades in different shapes and sizes! A perfect way to add some interest to any room!
make a deconstructed shabby chandelier

Can you believe this water stained lamp shade is going to blossom into a romantic chandelier? Well it is!

make a deconstructed shabby chandelier

Start by cutting a small slit in the shade.

make a deconstructed shabby chandelier

Rip off the fabric. If you have a shade that will not rip, simply cut off the fabric.

Now you will have the metal skeleton of the lamp shade. I decided to keep the white around the top and bottom. Your shade may or may not have this band.

make a deconstructed shabby chandelier

I had planned to use white fabric for the chandelier but after I tore off the shade fabric I realized it was the perfect for tearing into strips so I re used that. (it made the project even better, being able to repurpose the shade fabric)

Cut small slits in the fabric and pull to create torn strips.

make a deconstructed shabby chandelier

Then tie the strips to the wire frame. After I tied on the fabric I decided I wanted to add some color. Denim came to mind but I didn't have any denim fabric or old jeans.... Then I remembered I had a canvas I had gotten on clearance that was covered with denim.

That is how project flow around here. I'm not much of a planner and I am always rushing to finish projects so the project unfolds out of supplies I have around.

make a deconstructed shabby chandelier

I pulled the denim off the canvas, saving the wooden frame for another project of course. Cut the slits on the denim one at a time and pull the strips with pliers.

make a deconstructed shabby chandelier

Then add the denim strips to the lamp shade frame with the white strips.

make a deconstructed shabby chandelier

Then take a smaller shade and pull off the fabric down to the wire.

make a deconstructed shabby chandelier

Add some glass crystals on the bottom of the lamp shade to dangle down. I used jute because that is what I had on hand. It added some extra texture.

make a deconstructed shabby chandelier

Tie the smaller lamp shade to the inside on the larger lamp shade, allowing the crystals to dangle low.

make a deconstructed shabby chandelier

Now hang your romantic deconstructed shabby chic chandelier. For the home show I added eye hooks to an old screen door to hang two of the chandeliers from and then hung another one through the area where the screen was gone.

make a deconstructed shabby chandelier

What do you think? I am going to hang them in my shop after the show. Wouldn't they add a nice romantic touch to a bedroom? What colors would you add to yours?

For a complete tutorial just click the link below! Looking to add more DIY projects to your decor? What about a wooden lantern made out of scrap wood or a $5 blanket storage ladder! Come check out all our DIY projects and tutorials at divaofdiy.com!
Diva of DIY

• Irish Pack

Did you string your own crystals or did you buy them like that? If so, where did you get them? I love the look!

• Cathy Kurpil

Michaels runs some great sales on strung beads and crystals, I just picked up a bunch for 70% off! I love this project!

• Amy

What’s with the pieces of shredded pants?

• Sharidan

Is the old screen door for sale? I’m very interested!!!

• Lannie

I use a lot of the projects from here but I don't get the tore up strips those just look nasty to me now the crystals I think I could turn into something nice but not the strips of fabric this doesn't look good to me but think you for the idea I will use it with the crystals.

• Kat

Yes, I'm not into SHABBY chic... My Purrsonal Taste sends me to thinking that strips of colorful ribbons would look Lovely! I Do LOVE The Crystals, BUT NEVER ACRYLIC ONES! Really nice glass ones are quite reasonably priced on Amazon.

IF I had a lampshade that was damaged, I would definitely do this project... So I Will Save It!