Fabulous Fresh Dining Chair Makeover

$60

These dining room chairs were a bargain, picked up at a jumble trail (English version of a yard sale) for $2 each. We took all 6 at that price!

There was nothing wrong with the chairs, structurally they were sound. The chairs were just a bit grubby, tired and boring.

Don't worry though by the time we had finished them the were fresh bright and definitely not boring!

The first thing we did was washed all the sticky finger marks off them and then painted them. To brighten up the chairs we used a white chalk paint and then sealed them with chalk paint furniture wax.

Chalk paint is great as you don't need to do any prep you can just paint it straight onto your furniture. Which suits an impatient DIY'er like me.
However, even though the chairs looked better the paint job wasn't the star of the show. It was the seat pads we made for these chairs. That's what gave them the colour.

Every seat pad was slightly different so every chair is slightly different.
These seat pads were crochet using Rowan Big Wool click here to see the yarn .

If you can crochet then these cushions are really simple to do and as you use big yarn quick to do too. They are basically just big round Granny Squares. There is a link to the cushion pattern on my blog at the end.

We didn't have the time to crochet so we got a local crafter off facebook to crochet them for us. She knocked them up in no time. We provided the yarn and she just charged us $7 per cushion for her time.

Another bargain. (If you happen to live in the UK her link is on my blog)
These chairs with their fabulous cushions now sit in my friend's dining room and they look amazing.

If you want to see another way I have upcycled wooden chairs you should check out my fabulous map chairs by clicking here.

• Rowan big wool yarn
  • White chalk paint

12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
Claire at Pillarboxblue

• LuAnn Roberts

I am just going to be painting my friends table and chairs. Her chairs are similar.
  • Elaine

Hi Claire - they certainly add some color and am pleased you are happy. This is just a suggestion (and not a criticism in any way) but I was thinking if your crochet friend could make two long cords (chain stitch) for each cushion and attach them where the cushion lines up with the back "posts", they won't slip off everytime someone gets up from their chair. She can easily make two long cords, attach two to each cushion then you simply tie them in a bow (or knot) to the back of each chair.