Bottle Cap Floor Tile

We hated the musky carpet in the office / craft room, So, rather than buy a normal floor covering, I decided to challenge myself. I began collecting beer / soda bottle caps from friends and family across country as well as circulating a picture of my project to local pubs. It took over a year to complete because I waited for people to drink the right colors. I think it turned out amazing!

Almost all the caps we're flattened with anything I could find round enough to rebend them into shape. ( husbands sockets, hammer, etc. ) Then, each cap was piped with tile mortar to dry full allow stability for walking.

I knew I wanted some sort of star in center. After several dry fits, I took a pic and began the real work. My grand daughter helped by photo bombing my tutorial every chance she got.

The center of our floor was secured with a ledge stick and I began setting the caps permanently.

The pattern was duplicated on the other side and grew depending on how many I had of any one color.

The final product was grouted black and minimal 6 coats of commercial grade urethane applied.

The doorways were highlighted with a "door mat" pattern. Its difficult to see here, but there's a red mat with a blue and white star in front of my closet.

I'm so ready to create more in this very inspirational room. Onward to the next project!

3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!

• Lillie DeWitt

You said you flattened them? Or you fixed the flat ones back up?

• Kathy Hayes

Can I make a rug using the beer caps?

• DC

Sure, pound them into a rubber mat,or make on a piece of plywood and put grip in the bottom so it doesn't slide put from underfoot when you step on it ... the possibilities are endless but time consuming to tackle.

• Alice Churukian

Where on earth did you find sooooooooooooooooooo many bottle caps. I tried to collect enough for a small table top - had to give it up... But what you've done is Outstanding.... but so sad if you should ever move … I'm sure it will be hard moving the entire floor, should you choose to do so.