Bottle Cap Floor Tile

We hated the musky carpet in the office / craft room, So, rather than buy a normal floor covering, I decided to challenge myself. I began collecting beer / soda bottle caps from friends and family across country as well as circulating a picture of my project to local pubs. It took over a year to complete because I waited for people to drink the right colors. I think it turned out amazing!

Almost all the caps we're flattened with anything I could find round enough to rebend them into shape. ( husbands sockets, hammer, etc. ) Then, each cap was piped with tile mortar to dry full allow stability for walking.

I knew I wanted some sort of star in center. After several dry fits, I took a pic and began the real work. My grand daughter helped by photo bombing my tutorial every chance she got.

The center of our floor was secured with a ledge stick and I began setting the caps permanently.

The pattern was duplicated on the other side and grew depending on how many I had of any one color.

The final product was grouted black and minimal 6 coats of commercial grade urethane applied.

The doorways were highlighted with a "door mat" pattern. Its difficult to see here, but there's a red mat with a blue and white star in front of my closet.

I'm so ready to create more in this very inspirational room. Onward to the next project!

31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space

• Jane
    Jane

Hi, how is it holding up? This looks amazing! You are not only talented but patient! Excellent!

• Retta
    Retta

You did an amazing job, the floor is absolutely beautiful!

• Raymond8698
    Raymond8698

This is insane, wow came out amazing 👏

• Leslie
    Leslie

I first saw this post a few years ago and it was amazing then and is still amazing and beautiful now. It reminds me of Moroccan and Middle Eastern tiled walls and floors. Gorgeous. If anyone is interested in doing this bottle caps are sold online. Try E-bay and Amazon. I think you can get caps separated by kind and color on E-bay still, you can check that out :)

• Charise.
    Charise.

FANTASTIC!!!

I've been saving beer bottle caps for about 2 years now; everyone asks me why. Until now, I had no idea. I don't have enough to cover an entire floor and all of my caps are from the same beer brand, but I could certain find a smaller surface to cover.

Thanks you, for posting this genius technique!