Bottle Cap Floor Tile

We hated the musky carpet in the office / craft room, So, rather than buy a normal floor covering, I decided to challenge myself. I began collecting beer / soda bottle caps from friends and family across country as well as circulating a picture of my project to local pubs. It took over a year to complete because I waited for people to drink the right colors. I think it turned out amazing!

Almost all the caps we're flattened with anything I could find round enough to rebend them into shape. ( husbands sockets, hammer, etc. ) Then, each cap was piped with tile mortar to dry full allow stability for walking.

I knew I wanted some sort of star in center. After several dry fits, I took a pic and began the real work. My grand daughter helped by photo bombing my tutorial every chance she got.

The center of our floor was secured with a ledge stick and I began setting the caps permanently.

The pattern was duplicated on the other side and grew depending on how many I had of any one color.

The final product was grouted black and minimal 6 coats of commercial grade urethane applied.

The doorways were highlighted with a "door mat" pattern. Its difficult to see here, but there's a red mat with a blue and white star in front of my closet.

I'm so ready to create more in this very inspirational room. Onward to the next project!

30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look

• Kathy Hayes
    Kathy Hayes

Can I make a rug using the beer caps?

• DC
      DC

Sure, pound them into a rubber mat,or make on a piece of plywood and put grip in the bottom so it doesn't slide put from underfoot when you step on it ... the possibilities are endless but time consuming to tackle.

• Alice Churukian
    Alice Churukian

Where on earth did you find sooooooooooooooooooo many bottle caps. I tried to collect enough for a small table top - had to give it up... But what you've done is Outstanding.... but so sad if you should ever move … I'm sure it will be hard moving the entire floor, should you choose to do so.

• Margaret
    Margaret

What did you use to attach the caps to the floor