Coraline Jones
Coraline Jones
  • Springfield, MO

Bottle Cap Floor Tile

We hated the musky carpet in the office / craft room, So, rather than buy a normal floor covering, I decided to challenge myself. I began collecting beer / soda bottle caps from friends and family across country as well as circulating a picture of my project to local pubs. It took over a year to complete because I waited for people to drink the right colors. I think it turned out amazing!

bottle cap floor tile

Almost all the caps we're flattened with anything I could find round enough to rebend them into shape. ( husbands sockets, hammer, etc. ) Then, each cap was piped with tile mortar to dry full allow stability for walking.

bottle cap floor tile

I knew I wanted some sort of star in center. After several dry fits, I took a pic and began the real work. My grand daughter helped by photo bombing my tutorial every chance she got.

bottle cap floor tile

The center of our floor was secured with a ledge stick and I began setting the caps permanently.

bottle cap floor tile

The pattern was duplicated on the other side and grew depending on how many I had of any one color.

The final product was grouted black and minimal 6 coats of commercial grade urethane applied.

bottle cap floor tile

The doorways were highlighted with a "door mat" pattern. Its difficult to see here, but there's a red mat with a blue and white star in front of my closet.

bottle cap floor tile

I'm so ready to create more in this very inspirational room. Onward to the next project!

• One Crazy Lady

That is absolutely amazing!!! Great reward for a lot of effort.

• James Thomas

How many caps?????

• Myra Marchant

Would love to see more pictures of this project. Is that carpeting around the edges where it meets baseboard? How big is your room?

• Coraline Jones

12 x 14 No. the border is ? Miller Lite gold caps. About 6 rows all around.

• Mic17842192

i would love to see this in a year! plus, am curious as to why the unsanded grout? usually not used on floors...? albeit- sure is beautiful!

• Abg16784159

The reason why she did this is because sanded would have scratched the color off the caps. I work in a store that sales tile and flooring, and this is what I would have suggested she used.

• Coraline Jones

Yep! Didn't want to chance scratching the cap tops

• Stephanie

This is absolutely amazing! The design is well thought about . I wonder how long did it take you to finish this and how much is the cost of the entire project, and also how many cans of black grout and urethane did you use. Lastly, please tell me how to apply the black grout without disturbing the design . I'll do appreciate it greatly if you will answer my very inquisive questions. Thank you so much. Great job !

• Dawn Renee' Lemons Freeman

She mortared the caps to the floor, just as you would tile. After that dries, grout is applied by putting a big "blob" of grout down then spreading it over the floor, pushing it into the spaces between the caps/tiles until all the spaces are filled. (It's a good way to blow off some steam! LOL) Once the grout is pushed between all the gaps, you take a big, damp (NOT soaking wet) sponge and wipe the grout residue off the top of the tile/caps, then let that cure/dry before sealing it with the urethane.

• Coraline Jones

Caps free Tile mortar (I forget) 3 bags Grout 3x $15 Urethane $50+ 1 gal

• Bill Wessels

How do you keep it clean, and is it slick to walk on?

• Laura Scott

This is absolutely stunning. You must have patience. Please post your next floor. I would love to see it

• Mawmawkathy9

I think that you are so inspiring. I would like to do something like this in my living room. My only concern is the coats of finish that you use at the end. That so would not go well with the 3 indoor cats and one male (who works outdoors). Wonder if there is something else I could use to preserve the finished work with, without having to move out for the duration?

• Magnoliagirl

It is lovely. Very creative. I would say before you start this project in a main room in your home consider whether you plan to make this home a permanent residence. This type project may make resale Problematic.

• Mawmawkathy9

Renee, i understand your concern. Let me clear that up by saying that I am on the far side of being 60 yo sooner than I intended to be this quick, and I can assure everyone that this IS the last home I intend to purchase! If I move again it's because I've won the lottery and at that time I will just give this mobile home away!!! Just sayin....

• Linda Young

Impressive. I could see this in a rec room or "man" cave.

• Gilda Smith

OMGosh, it's beautiful! Approximately how many caps did it take, how long did it take you and what are your floor dimensions?

• Coraline Jones

$50 + per gal.

• Coraline Jones

The Varathane by Rustoleum dries to touch in 2 hours and I put on 2 coats every day. No order.

• Lyn

That is super awesome. It amazes me how creative some people are. Great job!

• Debo

I agree!!! WOW! Very creative and holy cow must have taken a lot of dedication on top of all your hard work! One of my fave DIY projects ever! Well done sister!!!

• Minu Akshaya

Yes absolutely fantastic👏👏👏 Wow hats off to your patience😱👍🙏

• Debra

High level excellent job!

• Kat17261851

you guys are very creative-this is amazingly cool

• Mac Grinnell

This is the most creative post I've seen on this site. Such an accomplishment!

• Bonnie

This is beautiful--like the mosaic floors in old Mosques around the world. Is it slippery Did you know you were doing the Jewish Star

• Kat17261851

that is funny- in the middle of all the other stars there is a jewish six sided star as well. was this intentional or just coincidence?

• Maggie Kimble-Bernard

It is called The Star of David.

• Gayle Deas

Actually, it really isn't a Magan David (Shield of David) once the other designs were inserted. It's beautiful, although it isn't a true "Star" of David.

• Eleanor S. Young

You have a lot of patience, Beautiful.

• Coraline Jones

No Jewish star intended. Just had certain caps I wanted to use in the center

• Rita Monette

I was wondering if the bottle caps were subject to indenting when being walked on.

• Mary Mosti

I don't know for sure but if you look at her pic she is filling the cap so I do not think it would dent.

• Myr16415968

Since she stated, "...Then, each cap was piped with tile mortar to dry full allow stability for walking." I would imagine denting would not be a problem.

• Karen

No, they were filled with mortar before being installed.

• Mikey Sheahan

Her description states that she fills them with mortar for stability.

• Coraline Jones

They're full of mortar. Solid as a rock

• Glenice hanna

No question, I love it !!!!!

• Quinetta Bibbs

Let's guess how many bottle caps she used. I say 12k😁

• Andrea Opitz

Where did you get the idea and how long did it take?😳 Congrats 😁

• Coraline Jones

I've seen small tables done with caps. Just like to challenge myself.

• Kcama

Is it not very slippery?

• Jus14155932

What a beautiful and creative project!! How long did it take once you started?

• Isabelle Martell Sampson

will the paint on the bottle caps not come off even with lots of urethane? beautiful job , love the design!

• Carol

It's absolutely beautiful!

• Shawn Brown

The most creative and beautiful project I've seen in a long time. Thank you for sharing this!

• Patti DeRaps

Wow! This is truly beautiful what a work of art, I love it.

• Jacqueline Shelton

I'm a little confused on the flattened/not flattened part....you did flatten the bottle caps or if they were flattened for some reason, you reshaped them into bottle caps??? Please clarify and thank you.

• Sherry Smith

I think that she reshaped them/flattened them back into original shape because they had been bent when people opened the bottles.

• Colleen Kenny-Brudny

they are probably twist off

• Gina Pace

Bartenders don't twist them off, they pop them off with bottle openers which bend them a bit.

• Elise

incredible! What is it like to walk on that?

• Coraline Jones

Many were folded in half from bottle openers. I just bent them back to original shape. They are a little round.

• Sandra Blatnick

Wow!!! would this work on a garage floor?

• Maxine Hale

How did you hold them in place before you got them grouted? This is so great.

• Debra Walton

Properly, it should have been done with thinset. That's what's used on regular tiles. I don't see why it wouldn't work here. I don't know if that's what she used here, but it would definitely work

• Coraline Jones

Tile mortar

• Mary Liaci Bentrup

No question, I just think this is awesome! Well done!!!

• Evelyn

Now that is Outstanding...Kudos!

• Carol Hyde

Wow!!!! Wow!!!! Triple Wow!!!

• Kate Horrell

I'm saving pennies to do my bathroom floor, what kind of Commercial strength urethane did u use? Thanks

• Roni Seiff Brown

Gorgeous! Unbelievable creativity!

• Sco13903253

Is the floor slippery when wet? Is this a high traffic area?

• Coraline Jones

The floor under my office chair is covered with a mat for protection but otherwise, no more than any floor. And no, not slippery.

• Greg

How did you keep the bottle caps from bending when you opened the bottles ?

• Lucinda

Most bottles are twist tops.

• Chilicat

She didn't. She flattened the tops back as straight as she could if I read it correctly.

• Coraline Jones

• Nikki

Wow!! What a great and unusual project. How long did it take you to do the floor once you collected the caps? That was certainly a labor of love..

• Jeanne

You said you flattened the caps but they look round. If they were flattened, how would you fill them with the mortar?

• Debby LeMaster

I think she means that she used the socket on the inside of the caps to put them back into the shape they were in on the bottle so she could fill each one up with mortar. The top of the cap flat, not the whole thing. That's my take, anyway.

• Chilicat

I believe what she meant was she flattened the crimp out of the tops of the caps, the part that gets bent on the top when using a bottle opener. She did not flatten the entire bottle cap.

• Reeny

She flattened them back to original shape. They were bent from opening the bottle.

• Susan

I'm sure that when she said they flattened them, that the bottle cap was turned upside down and she flattened out the Caps that had been opened by a bottle opener. Once the bend was flattened, she filled them with mortar

• Chilicat

I believe what she meant was that she flattened the crimp out of the top of the cap, the part that gets bent after using a bottle opener. She did not flatten the entire bottle cap.

• Kim3957235

I think she meant reshape them to their original look. The middles flattened not bent in the center from the force of the bottle opener used in removing the cap.

• Coraline Jones

• Tina

What do you clean the floor with?

• Jim Mulcahy

What do you do if you get sick of pattern

• Dot Harders Barnes

Absolutely amazing!!!!!!

• Joan Pariseau

It is beautiful, but wouldn't it be slippery?

• Precious

My guess is the floor is slippery. Am I right, and if I am, what have you done to keep it safe

• Maria Roth

In South Africa we have available for outdoor flooring and floor that require a surface with some grip, a special polyurethane coating that is clear, but is non slip. I am sure that it must also be available in other countries, especially America.

• Helen Bajorek

You did a amazing job! I think I will try it for a picture on the wall. Thanks!!!

• Don

Or, you could sprinkle some type of thin sand like product to make it anti-slippery. Perhaps something with sparkle in it???

• Margie Hood

im sure its not any slippery than any reg laminated flooring

• Lorie Reed

Great job, it looks fabulous. I can't imagine worrying about it being slippery unless it was to get wet.

• Cynde Peace

I cannot tell you how much I LOVE this.. Its beautiful, you are genius, and I might have to start collecting today.

• Coraline Jones

It's like pebble stone tile for showers. Not slippery.

• Susie

A labour of love. How long did it take from start to finish?

• Coraline Jones

A year to collect enough caps. (Spent a little time healing from hamstring injury while sitting on the floor)

• Lynne Bonavita

Very original beautifuL. But is it slippery & how do you clean it?
  • SANDY SIMMONS

Just fabulous! Great job!!!!!!

• Karen

Wow. Just wow.

• M

beautiful!----but how slick is it?----will the bed posts make dents in the tops of the caps?

• Jud13076965

The bottle caps have all been filled with tile mortar so when they harden I imagine they will be like little pebbles!

• Nena Hodges

I'm sure it's no slicker than most floor tile. Probably not as slick as the glazed tile that I used to have, and it was fine to walk on. The kids used to run on it with no problem.

• Peter Lenhardt

That is very cool.

• Janet B

Stunning!!!! Love it!!!

• Michelle Emanuel

What did you adhere the individual caps to the floor with? I'm assuming you have wonderboard for ceramic tile as the floor base.

• Mariann

This is really a cool idea! Igo barefooted all the time.Are he bottle caps hard on the feet?

• Jerilyn Winstead

How do you keep it clean?
  • Makenna Thompson

Love this. But how did you come up with the idea to do this???

• Maxine Waller

Holy cow! Amazing.

• Crao1960

This is THE BEST IDEA I HAVE EVER SEEN HERE ON HOME TALK!! Such an amazing job! Kudos to you!💟💟

• Elizabeth Feinberg

How big is your floor? And for planning approximately how many caps is this? It's lovely!

• Sandy

Where did you get 20,000 bottle caps, local bar establishments?

• Sandy

Just reread saw where you got your caps, boy you are persistent..what a women!!

• Coraline Jones

Family and friends across the country as well as local pups.

• JGrube

Do you think the caps will eventually rust?

• Coraline Jones

No. I've covered them well with multiple layers of urethane. Probably will every year until I tire of it.

• Kimberly F Cunningham

I'm curious about how slippery it is?,
    absolutely gorgeous btw.
    • Margaret E

My question as well, but it's gorgeous.

• Coraline Jones

Not at all. Just like pebble shower tile. Actually feels good on bare feet.

• Carrie Tait

Probably no more so than a wood floor ssealed with urethane, or a tile floor for that matter.

• Dana Okerman

How long did the process of putting it down take? You said you collected the caps for a year but you didn't say how long the "putting it down" took.
  • Marilyn Smith

How long did it take to put together?

• Tawny Johnson Minton

Did I miss how you adhered them to the floor? And the topcoat you used, is that like epoxy? I've done a penny table (that at first I thought would be a floor) that I used epoxy for.

• Anet Kerry

Tile mortar and Unsanded black grout

• Coraline Jones

The caps were filled with mortar and Floor kept moist as they were placed. I would've used epoxy, but a project this size would be too expensive. So far, I'm pleased with the Varathane and will reapply at least a couple layers every year.

• Diena Cameron

Coraline Jones, this is so beautiful (as beautiful as bottle caps can get ) but when you put them all pattern they come out stunning ! Just had to write again .)
    • Lin Collins

My dear Tawny, you know you didn't read the entire description here. Come on . . .
  • Annette Jones

Is it cold to walk on? Is it a level surface or does dust and what not get in between the caps? Is it slippery when wet due to the finish you put on? It's beautiful. Can you imagine a garage floor done this way? Must be screw off caps, cause ones opened with a bottle opener are creased, unless it's easy to hammer it gently flat again. Great job.
    • Sammi Vincenti

There would be no worry about dust and 'what not' getting in between the caps with the six coats of polyuethane used. It would be a smooth, level surface. The caps in the first photo did not look like screw-off ones.

• Diena Cameron

Annette Jones, she talks about how she reshaped each cap because they were all flattened. It would make a great garage floor or man-cave or rumpus room /game room. Great job, you definitely need patience for this project plus alot of great family, friends and pub owners .)
  • Mic4816635

It is really amazing . How long did it to do it? One need time and patience
  • Debbie Sommerville Sheils

Do you think the caps will dent with a lot of weight on them, like a piece of furniture? It is beautiful!

• Kat Austin-Roy

Looked like she filled them with the grout or concrete so probably not

• Kimberly Botts

Can you mop it? I love this idea thinking in my bathroom and laundry room floors
  • Nikki Roof

How do you get the bottle caps off without denting them?
    • Christine Rhew Thompson

They were dented. She re-flattened them using a hammer and her husband's wrench sockets or other correctly sized things underneath, to hold the proper shape .
  • Heidi Burks

Did you put any sort of sealer on it?
    • Patty Smolen

Post says 6 coats of commercial grade urethane
    • Kristine Kelley Bailey

This is why I stopped selling on ebay. All the important information given and someone asks questions as if it weren't already given.
  • Ileana Paules-Bronet

Hi there, my name is Ileana and I am a writer for LittleThings. I would love to write an article about this incredible floor — do I have your permission to use the photos? Please email me back at ileana@littlethings.com! Thank you.
  • Sandra Anderson

What did you use for your sub floor? Can't tell if there id cement board as the floor base.
  • Maga

AWSOME!! One question... LOL, I read over carefully, but did not find... If I understand correctly, you filled and allowed to completely dry each cap with tile mortar. Did you also use mortar to set the caps for the pattern? And, THANK YOU for sharing
    • Coraline Jones

Thanks,
      The ceramic tile cement was wet inside each cap when I stuck it to the backer board....then allowed to dry before grouting. The board was kept moist in small areas prior to laying caps In pattern.
  • Lig5237167

OMG!! that floor is gorgeous! cant imagine how long it took you to collect the caps, much less laying out and implementing your design!!! how does it hold up to daily use, cleaning, etc? BEAUTIFUL, just beautiful!!!
    • Coraline Jones

its held up great so far. It feels like the river rock tile in a shower floor. I'm very happy with it.
      Thanks
  • Lorraine

Dumb question but how does it feel to walk, sit on?
    • Coraline Jones

It feels like river rock shower tile - massages the feet. I've not spent time sitting on it but would assume it's like any other hard tile surface.
    • Jane Boyd Holt

It's beautiful and such a creative idea!! Exactly what this site is all about!! Thanks for sharing!
    • Esther

Beautiful
  • Linda

How hard was it to grout? Id imagine out would get all over the caps and be a really big job.
  • Virginia Contreras

When wet is it slippery?
  • Tiff Rn

Beautiful! Do you think this would hold up in a bathroom?
    • Coraline Jones

Not sure. Perhaps in a smaller area, epoxy fill would be more durable. I would've used epoxy if it had been financially doable. For my office, the Varathane has done fine.
  • Rene warren

what did you secure the caps to the floor with so they didn't lift?
    • Coraline Jones

They're each filled with and laid on ceramic tile mort on backer board. The crimped edge of each cap also helped grip the mortar before being filled in with grout. Nothing's collapsed or pulled up yet, but if it does, I'll just secure another. ive kept a small amount of "just in case" caps.
  • Jul1264533

How long did this project take, start to finish? It is knock your socks off gorgeous! I just wonder if I could live long enough to do something similar ... LOL (I'm 77)
    • Coraline Jones

It might be close, but I'm sure you could. It took me approximately 3 mo to lay the caps. That's after collecting for a year from pubs, friends and family. No one thought I could do it either. I love a good challenge!
  • Hon13357430

This is beautiful.....approx. how many caps did you use...just curious
    • Coraline Jones

1200 per square ft in a 10 x 12 ft room
    • Shelly Roth

Would you do this again?

• Coraline Jones

No
      Not for any reason except it was very difficult physically for me. But I do love it and it'll stay there until I tire of it.
    • Linda Doss

1200 per sq foot or 120 per sq foot????? I'm so confused, lol My hat is off to you, glad I didn't think of that project when I was younger, now I'm to old and hurt to bad getting up and down.
  • Sandra Ross Warren

This is stunning! Where did you get enough caps to do the entire floor and enough of the specific ones/colors to create the pattern?
    • Coraline Jones

the pattern was dictated by the colors I was given and laying out some to be sure there'd be enough before taking a pic and them takI got them up to fill with cement. local pubs, friends across he country and of coure, family saved them for me. I had to be diligent to go every 2 or 3 days to the pubs and collect so they didn't throw them out.
      our part of the world loves Bud Light and Coors...got lots of those.
  • Jeanne Creel

Gorgeous. Wonder if colored dollar store gems would also work? It would probably be fairly costly, If I was a little younger I would try it because I would also love to replace my carpeting.
    • Robin Renee York-Jackson

Yes, those work too! That would be an amazing floor. I'm gonna attempt to bottle cap my mancave or art room floor, but I've been saving up for years. I'll post pics when I start!
  • Aud S

Beautiful but is it slippery ?
  • Elayne Bozick

To be clear - were most of the caps flattened when you received them? And therefore you reshaped them? Or did you flatten them?
    • Rita

I am not the creator oaf this beautiful floor but I don't think she flattened the cakes at all. When you grout it it will fill in the spaces and make it all the same height. Just amazing.
    • Rhonda Rena Shelley

The article says she flattened them

• Dxfrye

You said you filled the caps to make them sturdy but how did you attach the caps to the floor?
    • Coraline Jones

The filled caps were then attached with ceramic tile concrete just as though they were store bought tiles.
  • Dxfrye

Do you think you could do this project with plastic caps? We drink alot of bottled water
    • Coraline Jones

Chances of cracking might be increased, but truthfully, I don't know.
    • Itsmemic

why would you want to use white bottle caps? Not very interesting. I know because I tried using them for a project and it was a miserable bust !
  • Mwi31915249

Hi I'm from Italy and I had the same idea . I would like to do the same for my kitchen but I'm afraid that is not suitable for that kind of room. Can you clean it well and is it easy to scrach it? Thank you. Michela
    • Betty Anne Bayer

I did something similiar and used 2-part epoxy to coat the floor...cleans up beautifully.
      I also kept my caps the way they were, filling each one w/ drywall compound-allowing to dry, then adhering to floor with tile mastic. My post is on hometalk under bathroom floor beer bottle caps.....
  • Ral28189955

Do you ever wash the floor and if so how and what do you use so the caps don’t rust.
    • Pla7352633

With 6 coats of commercial polyurethane applied, they shouldn't rust.
    • Coraline Jones

I sweep often. Since this is in my craft room/office, I drop things (ex: sewing pins) and they’re very difficult to find. I vacuume with the beater bar off or mop with any gentle soap or disinfectant. Pine Sol usually.
    • Coraline Jones

PS the aluminum caps haven’t rusted and are coated heavily. I’ll probably coat every year just to be safe.
  • Itsmemic

fantastic ! My question is though...how long did you have to stay out of that room?
    • Coraline Jones

The concrete dried from the center out, so I could sit on some while finishing others. In general, the concrete would dry overnight. The grout was a horribly messy process. I allowed a couple days dying for that. The varathane I used dried in half a day for each coat. So, I got 2 coats a day and then stayed out for a week with fans on high just to be safe.
  • Jcs30295418

Breathtaking. A professional job. You must have lots of patience. How long did it take you?? You can be proud.
    • Coraline Jones

A year to collect the caps and 3mo to lay the floor. I am proud but it exhaust me just seeing the pictures again. Lol
      Thank you
  • Carol Cole

Crazy lady. You did one hell of a job. I can't believe it. Must of taken you forever. How many bottle tops Did it take?
    • Coraline Jones

I don’t remember really. It’s an approx 10 x 12 rm and I think 120 per ft. Its not something I’d attempt again. I’m too old to get up and down on the floor. Lol
    • Carol Cole

Well, you did a fantastic job.
  • Patricia Wilson

This floor is totally amazing. But, I too wonder - do you have any idea how many bottle caps you used?? Beautiful and creative!
    • Carol

Hi Patricia, They said it took 25,920 bottle caps to do the 12'x15' room! That floor is truly amazing! Fantastic job. Very creative too!
  • Hilda Erickson Enewold

Very, very impressed ! This is beautiful. I too am curious how many bottle caps this took ?

• Mike

I am guessing here but if the room was a 12' x 15' room and the bottle caps were 1" in diameter (and that'll be close), it took approximately 25,920 caps to make this floor..... (whew)
  • Dahliaqueen

OMG how long did it take you? Patience patience patience and lots of beer drinking friends.....amazing. Just doing that on a tray would be a job for me. Bravo !!!
    • Coraline Jones

Thank you...but I didn drink any of these. Pubs, friends coast to coast, donated from truck drivers, etc. A year to collect and 3mo to lay down.
      Thank you
    • Vaunie Foster

Just gorgeous!
    • Erica Smith

WOOOOW! You did a FANTASTIC job! Love the pattern!! Very creative way to recycle the caps!!! I'm very impressed with this...gives Me an inspiration for a much smaller room that I've pondered over...bc I really wanted something unique. Now just to be a good as you....or you can bring your Gran Photo Bomber and come stay at the beach with Me and help me....I have a 9 yr old that loves to photo bomb too! Hahaha Thanks for sharing your wonderful project!!
  • Linda Harp

Get the heck outta here!! That is the coolest floor I think I've ever seen! You are my newest DIY hero!! I totally want to try something like this... I work in a hospital pharmacy and I have collected thousands of vial caps of all different colors. Do you think plastic vial caps will hold up as well, filled and set in the same way?
    • Coraline Jones

my daughter collects the vial caps in surgery and sells them on eBay. Sure! Give it a try. The secret is making sure the caps (however thin or thick) are filled so they don’t collapse under the foot pressure. Worse that can happen is you do something different.
      Thanks
    • Donna Carol Hughes Smith

Holy Mackerel! How long did it take you to do this ? I don’t have the patience but it looks amazing !
  • Dee

You must have great patience to make such a beautiful creation. Does it still look as gorgeous months later from wear and tear.
    • Coraline Jones

Yes it does. I have a lot of stuff in that room now and I do have to sweep often cause sewing pins, etc are hard to find.
      thank you
    • Cheryl Biermann

Beautiful. I am thinking backsplash!
    • Coraline Jones

Go for it. I did the pennies on my kitchen. Gorgeous
      thank you
    • Karen Anderson Thompson

Beautiful job! I would love to see your pennies project - I've been thinking of doing a simple project like a table with pennies as a starter
  • Joey Franklin

I’m not dure
    in understand the first step. You flattened the caps and then filled the undersides?
    • Diane Crites

The caps were flattened when she recieved them. She used something round, the size of the cap to get the original shape back. Then filled with mortar for stabilit.
    • Coraline Jones

The caps were bent - usually in half - from bottle openers. I reshaped them so they would lay flat(er) when filled wth concrete. Not completely flat, just bottle top shaped.
  • Brakefield Liz

How long did it take u to put it down on the floor doing all steps ?
  • Los32754803

Love it but how many caps did it take?

• Coraline Jones

Thousands. It’s lasted for almost 2 yrs now, and I still get questions now and then. I‘m seriously glad it’s finished. Lol
      thank you
    • 9Li33944019

We just made a table that's 2'x4' and it has approximately 950 caps so....

Your floor is absolutely amazing! I'm jealous!

• Coraline Jones

Honestly, I’ve forgot. Thousand plus.

• Nancy Fisher

There's a job for the grand daughter...counting the caps!

• Amie

Did u lay tile boards or a sub floor down first?

• Mary

Can you paint tile floors!

• Marcia Quaye

Did u tile your room first before using the bottle caps

• Carolina

OMG this is awesome!! How long did it take you to do the floor?

• Mary Dodge

This is beautiful! Looks mosaic. What is the dimension of the room, and roughly how many bottle caps did it take? I don't know if I'd have the patience to wait for all those bottle caps to trickle in.

• Mary

You could probably get them from a bar if you asked them to save them for you.

• Terry J. Manley

You did a fantastic job! I am amazed at your ingenuity and your creativity. Your brain must be wired totally for creativity. The hours it must of took you to put this together. I'm amazed at how beautiful it is! I love it😁 thanks for sharing 😁

• Evelien Glover

This is sooooo flash, how on earth did you even think of doing this???

• LITTLE AL

How do the caps hold up under the weight of furniture or a persons weight?

• Mary Muckle

Beautiful

• JoLeen Bolton

I can't imagine it not doing well if the caps are solidified by filling with the adhesive completely...that would keep them from dents that would/could be made if the caps were left hollow...just my guess. The floor looks great and kudos for the patience of the artist.

• User

He filled the caps with cement, that's what I saw in the first picture he posted.

• Judy

So unique and beautiful! I'd be afraid to wear it out by walking on it though!Think it would work on a wall, like a mural?

• Wendy Wolter

Do you have even a guess on how many total caps you ended up using? It turned out AMAZING!!!! I love it and think you did a fantastic job, super cool!!

• Barbara

How long does this hold up under the white of people walking on it. It is pretty but I don't think I would try

• Daphne

Read instructions! They used mortar inside the caps.

• Sarah

If you cover with epoxy that shouldn't be an issue

• Danette R Tornatore

It’s very beautiful and I love the recycle ♻️ idea.

And maybe before asking questions, it’s so cool that all the information is in his blog so no questions needed except the how many caps did it take???

Awesome job!!!

• Colleen

So very cool!

• Christy Peace

Love it!

• Pattie Garnett

I believe she said she flattened the bottle caps first.

• Ivy

Beautiful

• Janet

She said flattened then said she bent them back tinto shape. When looking at the picture you can see she did bend them back into shape and then filled with mortar for stability (weight of people and furniture on it).

• Debi Woodmansee

absolutely Gorgeous and very unique. I am sure they are very sturdy as it looks like you filled them with mortar. How long did it take you to do the room?

• Ramona Medina

Wowww amazing outstanding wow what a unique job it’s just beautiful gorgeous colors omg 😲 looove it !!! My respect ✊

• Gina Gutierrez

BEAUTIFUL!! Do you know how many bottle caps it took to fill the floor? Just beautiful!

• Lillie DeWitt

You said you flattened them? Or you fixed the flat ones back up?

• Kathy Hayes

Can I make a rug using the beer caps?