Turn a Tomato Cage Into a Plant Stand

$10.00

After doing a lot of reading lately on the benefits of house plants in your home, I've been determined to find a way to display them. I love this idea for a plant stand because not only is it extremely budget-friendly and easy to make, but it is seriously trendy and matched the modern decor of my home. If something screams geometric, than I'm all over it! Give this easy planter a try for yourself and start breathing in all of that fresh air from your new house plants.

SUPPLIES:

- 42" Metal Tomato Cage

- Spray Paint (Rust-Oleum Metallic Gold)

- Planter Pot

- Plant

Step 1: Flip your tomato cage down, so it stands on it's round base.

Step 2 : Remove the end picks from the tomato cage.

If you have metal cutters at home, you can remove them by cutting them off right at the first circle. I was able to bend the picks a few times in a back-and-forth motion and they came right off with a clean cut.

Your tomato cage should now look like this.

Step 3: Spray Paint your cage.

If you are working inside, don't forget to protect your area with a drop cloth. Be sure to have your windows/doors open for good ventilation too! Spray paint the cage (according to the directions on the can) in any color that you'd like. I chose this metallic gold finish for an extra luxe feel.

Step 4: Insert your plant pot.

Once your tomato cage is dry to the touch, place a planter pot inside the first circle. The planter should fit snuggly inside without any wobbling. I used a plastic pot, but you can also use clay or ceramic.

Step 5: Insert your plant.

Place the plant of your liking into your pot.

Take a look at the end result! I am beyond thrilled with the outcome of my own plant stand. I've been asked a few times already where I got it and it is so welcoming to see as I enter my home. The height is absolutely perfect and I love that is a space-saver at the same time. How cute would a group of these look in various heights and colors?

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)
We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

• Sarah

If using ceramic pots with live plants and hole in bottom of pot with detached saucer, what is suggestion?

• Dpbeee2

I think this is a verrrrry clever and economical idea. I will try it. Thank you.

• Anthony

No saucer to hold water when it drains or do you think by watering lightly it would never have to drain? it would work for a little while but the plant will die...pots need drainage...nice job though.

• Jeanne Martin

Just use those cheap clear plastic drainage saucer things under your planter pot. They come in so many sizes and are available at Walmart, Home Depot and Lowes (in the garden area).

• April

Not really a question...I think I would put a large plant saucer in the bottom level with either a succulent garden or a rock and shell collection...I think just the one plant on the upper level would be a bit top heavy and unstable...

• Lorrie

Thank you Jeanne Martin. I would enjoy it inside the home as I like the look but I have hardwood floors and I’m afraid my two rambunctious 10 lbs puppies might get the best of this. Really cute though

• Dpbeee2

If your afraid of spillage or a tip over, get a fake plant. The good ones look life like.