Turn a Tomato Cage Into a Plant Stand

$10.00

After doing a lot of reading lately on the benefits of house plants in your home, I've been determined to find a way to display them. I love this idea for a plant stand because not only is it extremely budget-friendly and easy to make, but it is seriously trendy and matched the modern decor of my home. If something screams geometric, than I'm all over it! Give this easy planter a try for yourself and start breathing in all of that fresh air from your new house plants.

turn a tomato cage into a plant stand

SUPPLIES:

- 42" Metal Tomato Cage

- Spray Paint (Rust-Oleum Metallic Gold)

- Planter Pot

- Plant

turn a tomato cage into a plant stand

Step 1: Flip your tomato cage down, so it stands on it's round base.

turn a tomato cage into a plant stand

Step 2 : Remove the end picks from the tomato cage.

If you have metal cutters at home, you can remove them by cutting them off right at the first circle. I was able to bend the picks a few times in a back-and-forth motion and they came right off with a clean cut.

turn a tomato cage into a plant stand

Your tomato cage should now look like this.

turn a tomato cage into a plant stand

Step 3: Spray Paint your cage.

If you are working inside, don't forget to protect your area with a drop cloth. Be sure to have your windows/doors open for good ventilation too! Spray paint the cage (according to the directions on the can) in any color that you'd like. I chose this metallic gold finish for an extra luxe feel.

turn a tomato cage into a plant stand

Step 4: Insert your plant pot.

Once your tomato cage is dry to the touch, place a planter pot inside the first circle. The planter should fit snuggly inside without any wobbling. I used a plastic pot, but you can also use clay or ceramic.

turn a tomato cage into a plant stand

Step 5: Insert your plant.

Place the plant of your liking into your pot.

turn a tomato cage into a plant stand

Take a look at the end result! I am beyond thrilled with the outcome of my own plant stand. I've been asked a few times already where I got it and it is so welcoming to see as I enter my home. The height is absolutely perfect and I love that is a space-saver at the same time. How cute would a group of these look in various heights and colors?

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

• Val

How much weight can it hold?
    • Laura Gumbert Arthur Moore

And I was also thinking depending on how big of a plant that you get leave the the X at the top and tie them together so if you do have the Ivy the ivy can grow up the times and make it look even nicer
  • Sharon

What do you put on the feet?(so to speak) I have a wood floor,
  • Sarah

If using ceramic pots with live plants and hole in bottom of pot with detached saucer, what is suggestion?

• Rosie C.

Remember to have a circular or square mat at the bottom of the plant stand that will absorb any liquid spills or soil. Place the saucer on top of mat to catch any water overflow.

• Lorna

I love the idea of the tomatoe stakes. Thanks for sharing. Will make a few of these, especially for indoor plants.

• Meg
    30 minutes ago

I have a big front porch under roof and a big flower bed in front. I think i will use them outside i could put 2 pots in it. The other thing i thought of my sister has a pool i am next door but thought of using the pot as a cooler with small bottles of h20 soda little cans of beer grab and go.