Turn a Tomato Cage Into a Plant Stand

$10.00

After doing a lot of reading lately on the benefits of house plants in your home, I've been determined to find a way to display them. I love this idea for a plant stand because not only is it extremely budget-friendly and easy to make, but it is seriously trendy and matched the modern decor of my home. If something screams geometric, than I'm all over it! Give this easy planter a try for yourself and start breathing in all of that fresh air from your new house plants.

SUPPLIES:

- 42" Metal Tomato Cage

- Spray Paint (Rust-Oleum Metallic Gold)

- Planter Pot

- Plant

Step 1: Flip your tomato cage down, so it stands on it's round base.

Step 2 : Remove the end picks from the tomato cage.

If you have metal cutters at home, you can remove them by cutting them off right at the first circle. I was able to bend the picks a few times in a back-and-forth motion and they came right off with a clean cut.

Your tomato cage should now look like this.

Step 3: Spray Paint your cage.

If you are working inside, don't forget to protect your area with a drop cloth. Be sure to have your windows/doors open for good ventilation too! Spray paint the cage (according to the directions on the can) in any color that you'd like. I chose this metallic gold finish for an extra luxe feel.

Step 4: Insert your plant pot.

Once your tomato cage is dry to the touch, place a planter pot inside the first circle. The planter should fit snuggly inside without any wobbling. I used a plastic pot, but you can also use clay or ceramic.

Step 5: Insert your plant.

Place the plant of your liking into your pot.

Take a look at the end result! I am beyond thrilled with the outcome of my own plant stand. I've been asked a few times already where I got it and it is so welcoming to see as I enter my home. The height is absolutely perfect and I love that is a space-saver at the same time. How cute would a group of these look in various heights and colors?

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)
We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

• Rosalie Ciarlante Sleight

What happens when you water it and there is leakage?

• Mo

Put a saucer or plastic lid in bottom of pot or use an ordinary plant pot inside a ornamental pot with a 'whole bottom'

• Susan Kimmer

Take the plant to your sink and water it good. When it stops leaking wipe off the pot and put back on the stand. This is how I water all my house plants

• Bha21902341

So, what keeps the cage from turning over-especially with pets or children arond..great idea with the tomato cage
    • Wil17881032

I have two cats what can I do if the cats climes up it
    • Cindy Ptak

Not every great idea is a great idea for your home and your situation! If you think your cats will knock this over,it's probably not a job for you!
    • Anne Potter Foster

Drape fabric over it before you put the plant in. No need to paint it. Also, you can put your clean kitty litter container under it to help hide it.
    • With 6 dogs and 6 cats running around daily, this can be used, just take care in placement. Mine have a "Castaic 500 aka Indy 500" path. I just keep it our of the runway.
    • Karen

Use decorative sand bags to stabilize the base - drape over bottom ring.

• Lynn Papazian

Physics...and Gravity. The base is much larger than the top...that alone should do the trick. Then there is the weight of the plant and pot to further stabilize it. It's basically a pyramid...which is the most stable structure on earth.

• Ron22096373

It seems very wobbly? Are there heavier Guage tomato stands
    Thanks
    • San

yes! There are also plastic-coated ones that would be very sturdy.
    • Gale

I put a mediun pot under the top pot, then a larger one on the bottom. It makes it super sturdy. Great idea, thanx.
  • Marguerite leonard

What do you do for drainage? If there aren't holes in the bottom the plant will rot. If there are holes in the bottom then it will drop on the floor. I'm confused.
    • Carol Hoffman

I use pots with no drainage holes. I put styrofoam chunks or packing peanuts in the bottom first then ad my soil on top of that. So far, my plants are doing fine. Or you could put a pot inside this pot. I've done both and my plants are still living
    • Barb in Texas

Not all plants require drainage, you just have to be careful to not over-water. Carol's ideas work perfectly, I do the same in some of my pots.
    • Kan22345490

I believe I would rathe put plant on bottom and let my vinng plants vine around the cage.
    • Minu Akshaya

This is also a great idea👍
    • Marguerite leonard

Gosh in my entire adult life I have never planted anything without drainage holes and my plants are fantastic. I'm 72 and got that from my mom who got it from her mom. At one time when I moved I had a 16' U Hall and two cars with only plants. One hundred and ten plants (I had big house). I always put a saucer or something under the plants. It also saves the furniture it's sitting on. That's just me though.
    • I just take out, water in the sink, let drain and replace or use a no hole vessel careful not to over water.
    • M. M..

There are also planters, both ceramic and plastic that have an attached saucer. If you're lucky enough to know a potter, most of them know how to throw a planter with attached saucer on the wheel..
    • Monique

you can buy pots with built in drainage (inside the pot itself) so it looks like a regular pot. I use these on a lot of my plants. No saucers etc......
    • Karen

Use a clear hanging pot hanger - very reasonable - Beautiful idea! Can't wait to steal it!

• Kathy Scheid McKelvey

In step 5 where she's putting in the plant it looks like it must be in a smaller pot. It might have drain holes and none needed for the outer pot.
    • Chilipitine

Put another plant on next lower level to catch drips, then under that plant put something that barely needs watering and does not need a draining hole.???
    • Chilipitine

• Chilipitine

• Lynn Clugston

Super great idea. Am going to do this with last years tomato cage.
    • Superbee

The only reason for a drainage hole is if one overwaters the plant.
      Conversely, if the drainage hole is too big, there will be 'over drainage', causing under- watering. Use common sense! It's not rocket science.
    • Nancy

I have some old tomato cages that I didn't know what to do with - now I do! Thanks!
    • Lin14021251

You could have 3 wood circle cut, one for each ring & use for shelves😉😇
    • Cuu5551996

Linda's idea that you could add the circle wood cutout and turn into a shelf sounds intriguing. Probably use silicone glue for the added strength. Making the 2 lower shelves in each cage would require some type of notches on wood cutouts. I thought off reusing the 3 straight pieces and threading them across, twisting the end edges to make wire shelf in the middle part.
    • Brenda Gill Williams

I also saw on Pinterest where some people crush these plastic water bottles, put lid on crushed bottles and lay in bottom of pots with no holes and water will drain down around bottles
    • Jessica Kesler

Some plants like the one pictured can live in water completely.
    • Andrea Bethel

I love your idea!

• GMS

they sell different versions of the tomato cages, some are made of a stronger, sturdier metal than the cheaper version. The stronger ones would probably not be as flimsy if you wanted to use a clay pot vs plastic I would assume
    • Chris

How about setting the plant - still in the container you bought it in - inside the decorative pot? Then any excess water could run into the decorative pot (without a hole in it). Problem solved!
    • Denise Marie Brown Warnock

You could always use the 3 legs that was broke off across the middle of the bottom to make it more sturdy

• Dianne Rubenstein Michalik

Cute and inexpensive idea. But........when watering the plant there is no place for the water to drain out. I know you can take the pot to a sink but there is still going to be drips.
    • Heidi K Davis

Just put a tray or bowl on the level below the planter to catch those drips.
    • Jsb9678731

Or put another plant below to catch runoff
    • Bijoux

You could also put a nice saucer on the rim and put the planter in it...
      the basket idea is cleaver.
    • Jezel

Some planters already have a plate attached
    • Karin Serbus Marchessault

Buy the appropriate flower pot for the space. Or use those plastic bowl covers that look like shower caps
    • Mary williams

Katrina, I'm sorry but I don't think she was trying to be ugly. I think she had a valid point and her "implied" question was 'what do you do about water drips?' To add to the other answers you could also use a planter that doesn't have a hole.
    • Chris

• Sue

You could also bend and swirl the picks into cute patterns with pliers, instead of cutting them off. They would help support the pot too.
  • Val

How much weight can it hold?
    • 25842967

would depend on sturdiness of cage as there are different ones, (sizes / weight)
      the ones I'm familiar with I'd say about 10lbs...

(looks like the one in the vid...
    • Sue28039999

Tried that with two of the sturdier tomato cages. One held and the other collapsed under similar weight -- same sized pots filled with the same dirt and same kind of plant.
    • Laura Gumbert Arthur Moore

I think you could always reinforce with wire in an X motion at the joints to help them hold better and then spray paint it that would give it an extra added flare to make it prettier
    • Laura Gumbert Arthur Moore

And I was also thinking depending on how big of a plant that you get leave the the X at the top and tie them together so if you do have the Ivy the ivy can grow up the times and make it look even nicer
    • Sjt29229935

I tried this too. Thank Heaven I was outside because the sides bent sideways and it collapsed. I would't recommend this project unless you can find an extremely heavy duty cage. If you are putting this in an area you don't want the possibility of plant dirt all over your floor, stick with a decorative stand made specificallh to hold the weight of your plants. Not worth taking the chance on being penny wise and pound foolish, IMHO. You could be very sorry in the long run.

• Sharon

What do you put on the feet?(so to speak) I have a wood floor,
    • Kim

I have wood floors too. I would make sure I lifted it when moving it and never push it. Or you could put a small rug under it if you don't want to lift it.
    • Leslie

There are small thick felt tabs with a sticky backing that you can purchase at HD or Lowes. They will most likely not stay on by themselves so a generous dot of hot glue on them should do the trick. I would use eight (8) of them to distribute the weight evenly.
    • Sharon

Thank you!

• Laurie

you could use a pretty round placemat. Get at Xmas tree shop or $ store. This is a great idea. great, positive response to painting inside the house, funny.
    • Ela26544792

Cut small pieces of felt and glue. Be sure they are the correct size so they can't be seen.
    • Angela

Very good idea. Love it, and very easy to do.
    • JudyH

If you have a climbing plant, you could plave the plant container in one of the lower circles so that the plant could use the cage area above to wrap around. That would probably help stabilize the cage since the weight would be lower to the ground. You could also get a really big pot and put the entire cage in the dirt. I did that and planted sweet potato vine and it was stunning! Love your project!

• Susan

I would (with help to hold the cage first) put plants in each circle. The lower one would stabilize the upper ones. Especially if you're wanting a climber from the bottom one, put ones in the other 2 levels, until the 3rd starts to climb.

• C'AFamily Resta

Hot glue??

• Cindy Quinn

They are also available at my local Dollar Tree stores.

• Beth Sessions Marble

Since there are no "feet" but only the large ring (not sure what you are calling feet), then just a dab of hot glue to cover the ends of the vertical supports. That should avoid any possible scratching of the floor. It appears that people are thinking the smallest ring is what touches the floor, but it is the largest with the smaller one being where the pot sits.

• Jeanne Martin

When I was at Lowes recently I saw they sell the typical felt circles to put on furniture legs. But right next to those were the same felt in long thin lines (they are rolled up in the package).. I've never seen those before but I'm sure they would work perfectly on the bottom circle of the plant stand saving your floors from scratches. It also makes it easier to move it because just pushing it, it would easily glide across the floor on the felt.

• Sarah

If using ceramic pots with live plants and hole in bottom of pot with detached saucer, what is suggestion?

• Annetta

Get a saucer that fits in the ring below. It could be plastic or clay, then do DIY magic to match or complement the look your going for.

• Rosie C.

Remember to have a circular or square mat at the bottom of the plant stand that will absorb any liquid spills or soil. Place the saucer on top of mat to catch any water overflow.

• Dpbeee2

get a pot with the attached tray for the

Overflow.

• Dpbeee2

I think this is a verrrrry clever and economical idea. I will try it. Thank you.

• Anthony

No saucer to hold water when it drains or do you think by watering lightly it would never have to drain? it would work for a little while but the plant will die...pots need drainage...nice job though.

• Jeanne Martin

Just use those cheap clear plastic drainage saucer things under your planter pot. They come in so many sizes and are available at Walmart, Home Depot and Lowes (in the garden area).

• April

Not really a question...I think I would put a large plant saucer in the bottom level with either a succulent garden or a rock and shell collection...I think just the one plant on the upper level would be a bit top heavy and unstable...

• Lorrie

Thank you Jeanne Martin. I would enjoy it inside the home as I like the look but I have hardwood floors and I’m afraid my two rambunctious 10 lbs puppies might get the best of this. Really cute though

• Dpbeee2

If your afraid of spillage or a tip over, get a fake plant. The good ones look life like.