Throwback Thursday - I Found Out That Sunflowers Can Be Any Color!

+22
Last year, I planted sunflowers for the first time. I planted the traditional yellow ones but then I came across some maroon ones. When they came up, I fell in love. I can't wait to plant even more colors this year. Pink tops my list! They are so much fun! Does anyone have favorite colors to share or tips to growing and harvesting the seeds?

e throwback thursday i found out that sunflowers can be any color

• Hillela G. Hillela G. on Mar 12, 2017
    I've never seen maroon sunflowers, they're magnificent! Thanks for sharing, Stacy!!!

• Stacy Davis Stacy Davis on Mar 12, 2017
      Thank you! I am so looking forward to planting flowers!! It is almost time!

• Sue21662019 Sue21662019 on Mar 12, 2017
    Go to www.reneesgarden .com. You can order many different kinds of non GMO sunflowers seeds from this website. My favorite is the Chocolate Sunflowers that smell like chocolate!

• Marilyn Zaruba Marilyn Zaruba on Mar 12, 2017
    We used to live in Iran and you would see people walking around with giant sunflower seed heads eating the seeds right out of the head. I never learned if they are processed in some way, but that is highly doubtful.

Those people love their sunflowers and they can pop a seed in their mouth spit out the shell with only their tongue and teeth and they are very fast at it.

I think it is important to wait until they droop over before you harvest. Anyway, that is what my Kansas relatives say.

• Stacy Davis Stacy Davis on Mar 13, 2017
      I love that! Thank you for sharing! You can see some drooping heads in the last picture. I was glad there were enough seeds for me and the pretty birds that came to eat them!

• Joanie Joanie on Mar 14, 2017
    They GET VERY tall, so watch where you plant them!!!

• Stacy Davis Stacy Davis on Mar 14, 2017
      I planted all different sizes, too! Some were the dwarf variety and they only got between 12 - 24 inches tall. I liked the tall ones best!

• Joanie Joanie on Mar 14, 2017
    Richmond here!! Hey neighbor!!

• Joanie Joanie on Mar 14, 2017
    Are you a native VA.?

Sadly, no. But I lived here out college in my 20's, then all over, the longest being 13 years in Florida before moving back here a few years ago. My husband grew up in this area. Are you a native Virginian? I will say that the gardening and planting is so much more fun here than Florida. I am loving all the bulbs 🌷popping up and I hope to plant some lilacs this year!

• Joanie Joanie on Mar 14, 2017
    I lived in New Smyrna Bch. , FL. for a Longgggggggggg time. I went to college at Daytona Beach Junior College, Daytona Beach, FL. When I was a lot younger. I know the state of Florida quite well. A beautiful state.
    No, I'm not a native of VA. I own my home and property and have lived here 24 years. Yes, I love it here. The country and temperatures are beautiful! Check out on your Lilac bushes. I tried them here and they are different in the zone areas.
    Nothing better then a lilac blowing in your bedroom window with that beautiful scent.

• See 4 previous
    • Stacy Davis Stacy Davis on Mar 16, 2017
      If we ever have a Hometalk Virginia Meet up, I would love to meet you! Spiked punch! You are my kind of gal pal!!! So good chatting with you! Have an awesome weekend!

• Love sunflowers! They have such pretty colors these days. I love them all. I feed the backyard birds a mix with black oil sunflower seeds. The sunflowers pop up all over the place and I just let them grow. I do not harvest the seeds, it is more free food for the birds, squirrels and whatever creatures of the night that creep around.

• See 2 previous
      I am working on getting more feeders too! I am planning on that would be a nice Mother's Day present to hint about. I need to come up with Hometalk project that involves bird feeders.  I find it relaxing also. My mom just moved here from Iowa and she was excited to look out and see a flicker!

• Joanie Joanie on Mar 16, 2017
    Stacy: You got it girlfriend......I am a young 69 yrs. young.....I would love it!!! . Joanie