Error loading player:
No playable sources found

Silk "Tie" Dyed Easter Eggs

$13

I know we have all tie dyed before, but have you dyed with a tie? Easter is just around the corner and though I don't have any kids, I do love getting some people together to dye eggs. I love trying all sorts of dyeing techniques and thought some silk tie dyeing would be fun this year. If you have some silk ties hanging around or some fun printed silk scarves (or see some at the thrift store) you can dye
silk tie dyed easter eggs

SUPPLIES:
-Eggs
-Twine
-Silk Printed Ties
-Thick Needle
-Scissors
-Heavy Colander
-Vinegar
-Light Colored Fabric

silk tie dyed easter eggs

STEP 1: Take your needle and poke a hole on both ends of your egg. Make sure you pierce through all layers and make a decent enough size hole for the yolk to fit through.

Once you have created the holes blow the inside of the egg out by blowing into one of the holes and allowing it to ooze through the hole on the other end. Now all you should have is the shell of the egg.

silk tie dyed easter eggs

STEP 2: Cut a piece of the tie large enough to cover the entire egg.

silk tie dyed easter eggs

STEP 3: Cut a piece out of a light colored fabric large enough to wrap around the egg as well.

silk tie dyed easter eggs

STEP 4: Dip the piece of tie into water and wring out the excess.

silk tie dyed easter eggs

STEP 5: Wrap your egg in the wet tie making sure the print is facing the shell of the egg.

silk tie dyed easter eggs

STEP 6: Wrap the tie wrapped egg in the light colored piece of fabric. (This will help the colors from bleeding into the other eggs and keep the tie close to the shell)

silk tie dyed easter eggs

STEP 8: Bring a gallon of water to a boil.

silk tie dyed easter eggs

STEP 9: Once the water is boiling add a 1/2 cup of white vinegar to the mixture and place your tie wrapped eggs in the pot. Place your colander over top to keep them from floating and boil them for 30 minutes. (I boiled mine for 20 and found they came out too light)

silk tie dyed easter eggs

STEP 10: Now just unwrap your eggs (once they have cooled) and use to decorate as you please!

silk tie dyed easter eggs

Look at all those fun prints! You can use silk scarves too!

silk tie dyed easter eggs

These definitely didn't turn out perfect, but they are still pretty fun!

silk tie dyed easter eggs

Here is another close up of all the details! They really did take the prints from the ties! How fun!

silk tie dyed easter eggs

I love all the variety you can get through dyeing your eggs this way! And yes those are bunnies on the one egg! I couldn't believe I found a tie with bunnies! So perfect!

• Eggs  (Grocery)
  • Silk Ties  (Salvation Army)
  • Vinegar  (Grocery)

• Cin17131482

Wow very good idea!

• Gtz17307729

Be sure to use 100% silk and make sure the brightly colored section is up against the egg shell. You can also use the same piece of material numerous times!