Silk "Tie" Dyed Easter Eggs

$13

I know we have all tie dyed before, but have you dyed with a tie? Easter is just around the corner and though I don't have any kids, I do love getting some people together to dye eggs. I love trying all sorts of dyeing techniques and thought some silk tie dyeing would be fun this year. If you have some silk ties hanging around or some fun printed silk scarves (or see some at the thrift store) you can dye easter eggs with them and the print will transfer to make unique and fun patterns and prints!

SUPPLIES:
-Eggs
-Twine
-Silk Printed Ties
-Thick Needle
-Scissors
-Heavy Colander
-Vinegar
-Light Colored Fabric

STEP 1: Take your needle and poke a hole on both ends of your egg. Make sure you pierce through all layers and make a decent enough size hole for the yolk to fit through.

Once you have created the holes blow the inside of the egg out by blowing into one of the holes and allowing it to ooze through the hole on the other end. Now all you should have is the shell of the egg.

STEP 2: Cut a piece of the tie large enough to cover the entire egg.

STEP 3: Cut a piece out of a light colored fabric large enough to wrap around the egg as well.

STEP 4: Dip the piece of tie into water and wring out the excess.

STEP 5: Wrap your egg in the wet tie making sure the print is facing the shell of the egg.

STEP 6: Wrap the tie wrapped egg in the light colored piece of fabric. (This will help the colors from bleeding into the other eggs and keep the tie close to the shell)

STEP 8: Bring a gallon of water to a boil.

STEP 9: Once the water is boiling add a 1/2 cup of white vinegar to the mixture and place your tie wrapped eggs in the pot. Place your colander over top to keep them from floating and boil them for 30 minutes. (I boiled mine for 20 and found they came out too light)

STEP 10: Now just unwrap your eggs (once they have cooled) and use to decorate as you please!

Look at all those fun prints! You can use silk scarves too!

These definitely didn't turn out perfect, but they are still pretty fun!

Here is another close up of all the details! They really did take the prints from the ties! How fun!

I love all the variety you can get through dyeing your eggs this way! And yes those are bunnies on the one egg! I couldn't believe I found a tie with bunnies! So perfect!
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Doreen K Long

Can this be done without removing the egg ?

• Suzanne

If you boil an egg for 20 minutes it is no longer raw so salmonella is no longer an issue.

• Lex

Would this work on anything other than eggs? I thought it might work with rocks but the are not particularly porous.

• Rockies Connie

How did you ever think of this trick?? Looks great! Will try it.