A Little Wire Easter Basket

While out snooping around sales last summer, I paid a whole quarter for an old, wire downspout guard. It was a little bent, but the wire was good and not brittle from rust. I’m always attracted to, and compelled to buy wire objects, and it looked like something I thought I needed.
I caught a glimpse of the dusty and forgotten object on a shelf in my workroom last week. With Easter right around the corner, I thought it would be fun to make a little basket for my “gathering” buddy, Jean. She’d get a kick out of it.
I cut the wires down about 1 1/2″, except for two (opposite each other) which I left for handle arms.
The cut wires were coiled down to form a basket rim. The long wires were bent, about 1/4″ down, to form L shapes and then wired securely in place.
A short piece of weathered, 1/4″ wooden dowel was cut for a handle. Drill a small hole in the center of each end of the dowel piece, at least 1/4″deep. Age the fresh cut wood ends with thinned, gray paint, and sanding. Hook dowel between the handle arms.
You could simply leave the basket it’s original color here. I would suggest touching up any plier scratches and marks with a black patina.
I chose to lightly dry brush my basket with white, craft paint, then gave it a sanding.
I had a gorgeous vintage twist on earring and I couldn’t resist adding some bling to cover the knot of the tea stained strip of vintage fabric tied under the coiled rim.
I waxed, then speckled, a small dried egg gourd to nestle in the shredded, brown paper beside a small, metal, bunny candy mold.
Done!  I can’t believe how easy this project came together .. a quick afternoon upcycle if you have all your supplies handy.
Happy Easter!

Vicky Kloppenborg

• Dixie

I've lived several places in the States but have never seen one of these. Can you buy them at stores? If so, which? Your idea is fantastic!

• Cardiopro

I like the thicker shreds you used in the basket. Did you make them or buy them? Very cute project!