How to Clean Indoor Houseplants and Shine the Leaves!

This is a pretty neat tip we are sharing today, How to Clean Indoor Houseplants and Shine the Leaves! Plus we have some easy plant food tips too!

You can also use this for any outdoor potted plant that is looking dull or has a powdery substance on it.

First I will share with you how to do it, and then I want to share with you WHY this actually works.
I learned this tip while taking horticulture in college and researched the chemistry behind it right away. It is an old gardening/science tip, but it works! I have tried multiple methods, this way is the best ratio.

Ingredients:
Dairy Milk
Water
Spray Bottle
Epsom Salt (Regular NOT Scented)

Directions:
  1. First, mix up a ratio of milk to water. About 40% milk to 60% water. So, for my small little spray bottle I did ½ cup of milk with ¾ cup water.  You can do as little or as much as you need.
  2. Next spray your plants leaves underneath and on top.
  3. Rub gently with a cloth, then wipe off with a clean dry cloth.

You will notice immediately how it shines up and removes any residue the plant has on it. When you look the next day, it almost looks like fake plant with the shine!

For plant food: Believe it or not, milk has some beneficial ingredients that are great for plants. In addition, I also like to make an Epsom salt spray which you can use every few weeks.

In a spray bottle, mix 2 cups of water to 1 tbsp of Epsom salt, lightly spray the plant leaves. Don’t rub off, allow it to soak in.

NOTE: You do NOT have to use the Epsom salt spray, you can just use the milk spray. I don't typically use them on the same days anyways, but it is nice to have an additional plant food option.
CHEMIST TIPS
Epsom salt is one of the best natural fertilizers for houseplants. Magnesium and sulfate (which is what Epsom salt actually is) are beneficial for indoor plants to get bright, vivid leaves. Since they don’t get much sunlight, it really gives the leaves an extra boost.

Epsom salt spray can be used every 2-3 weeks.

The other fertilizer I use is my slow release plant food from the book. I put that around the base every 3-4 weeks and it makes such a difference!

We also have a liquid plant food (read blog post for link). Many readers use this for indoor plants too with success. I typically prefer this for outdoor plants since it was designed for that.

IMPORTANT FAQs

Why is milk used?
Using milk as a leaf shiner is an old gardening/science tip. I learned about it when I took horticulture, but decided to study it more in depth to see if it was really something useful.

Milk contains anti-microbial, anti-fungal/anti-bacterial properties that treat powdery mildews and other issues that cause plants to have that dull, white look.

Another important substance in milk is the proteins. Proteins help dissolved residue on the leaf to brighten it up.

Calcium is a key nutrient for plants, so milk also helps internally.

Can I substitute other milk?
You must use dairy milk to get the shining benefits. Other milks like almond and cashew do not have active cultures like this, so it doesn’t work. I have tried it!

More questions including: what about odor? what about bugs? Do you have to use these two sprays together? Please click the blog post URL below to read the rest of these important questions and details on all the items we used!  

31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
Alexis @ Chemistry Cachet

• Emm17787701
    Emm17787701

How do you use granite/stone multi purpose cleaner to rid those little black flies that seem to live in the soil? They are invading my plants and home! Thank you for your advice. Eileen

• Olga luckett
      Olga luckett

I had friends in Mexico and they all had beautiful plants all over the house and they use the banana skins to clean and shine the leaves. I'm sure the banana skins have vitamins that is food for the plants

• Anna
    Anna

love your articles. great information and the science behind it. thanks, Anna
  • Itsmemic
    Itsmemic

Every time I go to my hairstylist..I ohh and ahh over her gorgeous plants...SO shiny and SO healthy and green. I thought the were fake ! I finally asked her and she said...she cleans the leaves with diluted milk ! Well HOLY MOLY it works. I have the same plants as she...and mine are dull and just 'THERE"...not any more !!!