Air Plant Pineapples!

I can't take credit for these cute little guys as I first saw them in a magazine but I did make a few changes. These are fun to make!
10 little air plant pineapples
Purchased Sculpey clay in white from Walmart for $6.00.
Sculpey oven bake clay
This pkg contained 5 sheets of clay. I cut each in half giving me clay to make 10 pineapples.
I then took a section kneading it for a few minutes until it became pliable.
Oval shape
I formed each section into an oval and into a pineapple shaped base making the bottom flat.
Cut center of pineapple out leaving a shell.
Taking a knife, or with a child they could possible use a plastic knife, I cut out the insides leaving only a shell. This makes the baking faster plus these could be used to hold toothpicks or bobby pins, etc. You can leave them solid but the baking time increases quite a bit. It tells you on the back of the box how long to bake depending on thickness. By cutting out the insides of these I was able to make 2 more pineapples using those remnants.
Hollowed out
This is what it looks like when it's hollowed out
Push the top together to form a little pot. I purchased a set of 10 air plants from Amazon. I sized up my pot opening so the air plants fit just inside. They vary quite a bit in size.
They are called Tillandsia lonantha Guatemala sold by Hinterland Trading for $15.28
Trying to look like a pineapple!
At this point I used a toothpick making x's and dots making it look like pineapple markings. Ready to bake according to pkg directions. These took 20 minutes.
Out of the oven cooling
Once cooled, they're ready to paint.
Martha Stewart gold metallic
Starting with the inside I painted them with gold metallic paint
Martha Stewart Vanilla Bean
Once dry I used a brown satin all over , then quickly removing it. This leaves the detailed markings more visible.
10 air plant pineapples
Place an air plant into each opening. All ready to give to friends and family!
At only a little more than $2.00 each, these make adorable gifts that won't break the bank!

• Sculpey clay-$6.00  (Walmart)
  • 10 airplants- $15.28  (Amazon)

• Steffany Dean

Confused when you said you painted a brown satin then quickly removed it. ? Any videos?

• Llorye Flores

She wiped the paint off. This leaves the brown paint in the lines and dots and adds a little bit of brown over the metallic paint. Kind of like white washing something.

• Nancy Jill Larson

She meant brown stain, not satin.

• Donna

Its Brown satin paint per the photo illustration.

• Ann M

It's a brown satin paint. As soon as I painted it on, I then wiped it off. By doing this it gives more definition to the lines and also dulls the bright gold paint. Leaving on longer would make it much darker as it is paint.

• Lori Weaver

I love this idea for gifts. Thank you for sharing.

• Marilyn Smith

Thank yo. Great idea.

• Ela13845729

I've never heard of air plants. Are they live or artificial? And if live, do they require water and/or soil?

• Christine Millership

Air plants are indeed real, and they live off of the moisture in the air. Ideal plant for a bathroom.

• Ann M

Air plants are real although in hobby stores I have seen fake ones. I purchased mine thru Amazon but Lowes and Walmart sell them. They use no soil but you do have to mist them with water weekly.

• Jen O.

I live in FL and air plants are literally everywhere. They can survive anywhere here, just from the humidity alone ;) If you live somewhere humid get the real ones... but they do have artificial ones as well.

• Haymur

They do need some spritzing every few weeks

• Susan S

One air plant I particularly like is a stag horn fern. I never had one but they are popular. To care for stag horn ferns you need to spray water on them. There might be more instructions on the Internet.

• Susan gibbs

They are bromilliads. Pineapples are bromilliads also. They live with little to no soil. Often grow in trees. Are tropical and live primarillly on air.

• Ela13845729

Thanks to you all for the tutorials!

• Sandy

Etsy sells them cheaper and I just take mine and dip them in water for a few minutes once every week or two. They have survived like this for several years and they turn pink and bloom. Then they produce new plants.

• Mary T

I'm new to this airplant thing too. will it ever bear fruit?

• Hwy9837611

I buy air plants on eBay a lot cheaper than Amazon. Love them great little plants

• Elena Shideler

They will not are fruit, just for looks but the flowers could be very pretty. I have mine outside hanging under a tree on top of a fern. I never have to mist it, they get the dew that falls between the ficus at night. I do water the ficus once a months or so. I live in California where is desert, very dry.

• Allison

I get mine on Etsy Cheap.

• Ginny Arendell Ross

Didn't think stag horn ferns were bromeleads. Had one in FL years ago. Was large and somehow attached to a piece of wood or wood layer. Was probably 2 ft wide a d 3 or so long. You can also use shells as containers.

• 861650

Years ago, I purchased them from Pier 1 Imports but they were everywhere but I never misted them at all. Frankly, I forgot all about them. Thanks to all you guys for the great info. Can't wait to buy some.

• Pauliegirl1

To Susan in TX...I also have a staghorn fern, now for years!! I let it COMPLETELY dry out, 2-3 weeks, then water it under the faucet until its thoroughly watered!! Has grown SO much......probably time for a bigger piece of wood to hang it on!!!

• Pr
    • Ann Rider McMains

The air plants that are referred to in this craft are called tillandsias. They are not themselves pineapple plants, so they will not bear fruit. The are a bromeliad, as are pineapples, but will bear flowers instead of fruit. They are simply being used in this craft because they will resemble a small pineapple top. They are real, and with misting, will live.

• Pat Brinkley Spencer

I'm not familiar with air plants. Do you think the baby plants from a spider plant would work or would they need more water? Cute idea and speaking for myself, always nice to receive a gift made by the gifter.
    • Ann M

Thank you Pat. I'm not sure the spider plant would work since it is a soil based plant. I don't think misting it's roots would give it enough water.

• Ella Frierson Bond

No, spider plants are not air plants. Order air plants from Amazon.

• Carolyn

Could a Resurrection Plant be used instead of an air plant? I know they are almost impossible to kill, and will last practically forever.

• Rap7450709

This clay releases toxins when baked. Use a dedicated toaster oven or shield under something to not ruin the oven.

• Kay-Ellen
    • Barb

I've used sculpey for projects for years and baked it on foil in toaster oven or regular oven; I was unaware of any toxicity but I'm happy to report that I haven't killed anyone in the house yet!

• Rap7450709

There are lots of chemicals in those plastics and really, who knows what they do to us whether they enter our foods or our air. I have a toaster oven for clay that I wouldn't eat food from. Just something to consider for health and safety.

• Barb in Texas

Or, buy a couple of disposable roasting pans, and use metal clips to hold two together. A project like this, no one wants to buy a toaster oven for, and this keeps the smell and residue from getting out.

• Dmholt4391

Good will would be a good place to buy those 'disposable' bake ware items. You could even store them afterward to use other times.

• Cathy

Will they survive in Az. Outside???
    • Kim

Not likely. They survive on moisture from the air which AZ has very little. They would like a bright indoor window. Just dunk them in water every couple of weeks and then shake off the excess water. Let them dry.

• Cathy

Thank you Kim

• Marilyn

cathy, I too live in Arizona. absolutely not. in fact I wouldn't leave them in a sunny window in the summer either. and they like lots of misting. but with that in mind, mine are doing well for years. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the plants from that company didn't do well at all. just fyi.

• Cathy

Where did you get yours from

• Beth Henthorn

Did you know that the leafy top of store-bought pineapples can be rooted and grown as an interesting houseplant? Simply choose a fresh pineapple from your local grocery or produce store, cut the top off and sprout your plant. Try picking one having the most attractive foliage, or variegated, for a unique pineapple rooting top that you can enjoy year round. Just Google growing pineapple from a top.

• Beth Henthorn

Just don't use the clay as a pot to grow it in because it is toxic and will likely kill the plant

• Car12412207

I rooted a pineapple and kept it in a small pot for about a year. I transplanted it into a large pot and kept it outside during the summer and brought it inside during the winter. After about 4 years I had a pineapple. It was delicious. I cut the top off it an rooted it, and in a couple of years I'll have another pineapple. A new plant will grow from the old one, but I didn't keep the last one; I'll try to keep this one. (It takes 3 to 4 years to grow one pineapple!)

• Frances Davis

I have a pineapple plant from a top of store bought pineapple. It has grown to about 3 ft tall and 2 ft wide. It is now 1 year old and producing new plant around the roots. looking forward to getting a pineapple. thank you for the info that the older pineapple will grow another pineapple.

• Alaine

can you show a picture or your plants and if you have one of pineapple? This is so cool. Lots of wait time!!
    • Dmholt4391

to Alaine, there are probably pictures on the google site you choose. Sounds so interesting.

• Debra Bergert

That is a super cool idea. They are very cute.....
  • Rhonda Davis

Great idea. I've had some Tilandsia plants and this is a creative post to make them pots to live in since they don't require soil. Brava!