Fresh Flowers Vase - Faux Galvanized Finish

Don't you just love projects that turn a trash or recycle item into something amazing? This Fresh Flowers Vase got a Faux Galvanized Finish made from a cracker box and I was able to create a beautiful flower arrangement for spring.

fresh flowers vase faux galvanized finish

For this project I will show you to create the galvanized look from a box, no metal needed and no waiting around for years for the galvanized look to appear naturally.  You can get the look NOW!  

I spray painted a couple coats of Hammered spray paint. It seemed that the heavier the coat the better the hammered look appeared. Allow the spray paint to dry. 

Now it is time to give the vase the galvanized finish.  I mixed two different paint colors to achieve a rusty color I was happy with. Then I dipped a sea sponge in the paint, blotted the excess paint off and then applied it on all the edges and folds in an up and down motion.

Next I created a mixture of gray and white to create a very light gray paint.  I repeated the same technique as the rust part but this time I applied the light gray randomly allover the flat surfaces. I also used it to blend in the rusty paint edges. 

I did this for both the outside and the upper part of the inside to complete the look.

Next I created a stencil, applied it and painted it with black acrylic paint.

Then I inserted some artificial flowers that reminded me of spring.

I really love how it turned out and I still can't believe this was once a cracker box.

If you would like to see another upcycle/recycle check out Clever Ways to Reuse a Popcorn Tin.
If your looking for another stenciled project check out these

It has been great hanging out with you. Please come by and visit me below,

Tiffany

• Cracker box
  • Acrylic paint
  • Stencil
Tiffany from Dream Design DIY

• C Crow

Great project--looks so realistic I'd never have guessed it was originally a box. Could you please tell us the names of the paint colors you used. The links aren't working for me and I can't read the labels from photo. Thank you.

• I mixed Folk Art in Coffee Bean with Folk Art Metallic in Inca Gold. Then for the lighter gray I mixed Americana in Grey Storm and Americana in Snow White. I also used Rust-oleum Hammered Spray paint in Silver. Thanks so much ladies for your questions and for checking it out.

• Antoinette Egizio

Very creative and beautiful. How did you make the Stencil? Thank you