Cynthia Carpenter
Cynthia Carpenter
  • San Bernardino, CA

Bohemian Meets 70’s Tie Dye Art Functional Art #UnicornSPiT #Sponsor

$30.00

*This post is sponsored by Unicorn SPiT, but all statements and opinions are mine. **
My Inspiration for this project was my love for everything Bohemian and especially Mandalas. Oh and of course being a product of the Hippy era with all the bright colors. So what better way of achieving that than with the use of Unicorn SPiT Vibrant colored Staining Gel
bohemian meets 70 s tie dye art functional art unicornspit sponsor

I began with a blank 16x20 inch canvas. I’m sure that if you're familiar with Unicorn SPiT  and the many ways of using it, then you know how to achieve the Stain Press technique.  That's where I started. I first sprayed water lightly onto the canvas so that the SPiT could be  moved around.
 I had somewhat of a vision how I hoped it would look so I applied the SPiT  toward the center of the canvas. I then sprayed a little more water and laid a piece of plastic  over it (I used thin painter drop cloth). I sprayed some water on top of the plastic and using 
my hands I smeared the Unicorn SPiT to blend the colors inward. I had my husband help me  lift the plastic off toward the center of the canvas. It was ok but not exactly what I was  wanting.
 I let it dry a little and then using my favorite Cling On brush,  I blended the colors  toward the middle to achieve a tie dye effect.. 

When it was dry I used a piece of chalk to draw out my Mandala design,  using a handy paper plate to make the circle. I went over it with a white paint pen then 3D fabric puff paint.
I free hand the Mandala design with chalk,
Then went over it with a paint pen.
Then using  Scribbles Pop 3 Dimensional Fabric paint   went over it again and let it dry overnight, then sprayed with  polyurethane to seal it. I wanted the raised lines of the mandala to have more shine so I used Southern Blenders Metallic Powder in Spring Pearl to give it a really pretty pearly shine.

Then I got out my bag of rhinestones and  started playing. After arranging and rearranging until I thought it look good and  had enough  Bling. I used E6000 to glue them down. 
 I found a frame at a second hand store and it was ok like it was BUT not quite. I used  Unicorn SPiT SPARKLiNG GEL STAiN in Dove’s Cry and sort of bounced the STAiN into the  frame.
I did two coats and it gave it a marble effect. I sprayed with sealer. I again took some  Spring Pearl Southern Blenders powder and with my finger went over the inside edges where it looked like pearls and made them shiny. I do think this was one of the funniest projects I’ve done. I can’t tell you enough how much SPARKLE and SHiNE this art piece has.

• Unicorn SPiT Vibrantly Colored Gel STAiN in White Ning, Zia Teal, Purple Hill Majesty, Pixie Punk Pink and Lemon Yellow Unicorn SPiT SPARKLiNG GEL STAiN in Dove’s Cry, Finchi Fran, Rock Chalk Jayhawk and Grace C Humminbird  (Unicornspit.com)
  • Scribbles Pop 3 Dimensional Fabric paint  (Micheals)
  • Southern Blenders Metallic Powder in Spring Pearl  (Pixie Dust Paint Company)

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/sweet-spitunias-588951757922410/

• Kristina King

Beautiriffic!!! Love this Cindi 🤓

• Vickie Fowler Lummus

First let me say how much I LOVE this project! I was wondering something. I noticed the difficulty was moderate. Was the hardest part the white Scribbles paint part? I have a difficult time with the squeeze pressure in those dimensional paints. Do you have a suggestion for how to have a steady hand and constant pressure?