Zest it Up
Zest it Up
  • Atascadero, CA

DIY Feather Easter Eggs

$5

Another holiday is quickily sneaking up on us- Easter! I usually don’t get too crazy when it comes to decorating for holiday’s in general, but I do often stroll the aisles of the dollar store to get inspired for some fun fast (and inexpensive) ideas. Rather than getting into the pink bunnies and purple chicks, I tend to take more of the “natural” and rustic route when it comes to decor. I saw some plain white plastic eggs at the dollar store for a few bucks so I snagged them and decided to start marinating on what I could do to “zest” them up. Here is what I came up with….

Photo Cred: Anya McInroy

diy feather easter eggs

Egg Supplies:
  • Plastic Eggs (I scored my pack at the 99 cents store)
  • Modge Podge
  • Feathers (smaller in size)
  • Sponge brush

To hang:
  • Drill & bit
  • fishing line/needle
  • scissors
  • small pom pom balls

diy feather easter eggs

I decided I wanted to hang my eggs so I drilled small holes in the top of the egg. This was actually very easy, if you have a vice you can use this for more ease!

diy feather easter eggs

All drilled!

diy feather easter eggs

Next prep your modge podge- I added about 1 tsp of water to my 3 tablespoons of Modge Podge.

diy feather easter eggs

First snip your feathers to fit on the egg as well as make sure the end of the feather doesn’t “pop up” off the egg- all you want are those soft feathers

diy feather easter eggs

Next apply a thin layer of modge podge on the egg, then lay the feather on the egg and allow it to stick. Lastly apply another thin layer of modge podge on the feather.

diy feather easter eggs

Let dry for at least an hour. Once dry have some fun decorating! Maybe on a table centerpiece? Place settings? OR let’s hang them! After all feathers are meant to fly right?

diy feather easter eggs

Maybe on a table centerpiece? Place settings? OR let’s hang them! After all feathers are meant to fly right?

diy feather easter eggs

To hang these I simply took a small pompom ball (from the dollar store), threaded some fishing line through the ball with a needle, tied it off and then pushed the pompom ball into the hole that I drilled earlier. Then you don’t see the pompom ball inside the egg, but you get the airy feathery look as it dangles.

diy feather easter eggs

I'm really digging the modern look of this Easter decor!

diy feather easter eggs

Can’t wait to make more of these cuties!
xo
Sam

• Plastic eggs  (99cent store)
  • Modge podge  (craft store)
  • Small feathers  (craft store)
Zest it Up

• Gaye

Simply brilliant!
  • Gorky Pal

Its an wonderful idea about feathers. I love feathers, actually I cant see fallen i on ground whenever I see. I make cards and book marks. I love your idea so appropiate on an egg shell!! All the best