Great Solution: Wood Look Vinyl Tile on a Stair

$45
1 Day

Have a highly utilized stair in your home that needs new flooring? Tight on cash? Why not try peel and stick wood look vinyl tiles for a clean look that’s easy to maintain.

great solution wood look vinyl tile on a stair
Our back stair is a disaster. In fact, I'm so embarrassed by it, please don't focus on the before shot. Well other than maybe Finn.

Point being, it's a mess. Originally it was carpeted by the flipper which I ripped out immediately due to its impracticality. Since then, I painted the stairs and threw down a utilitarian runner.
My goal for this way-to-tight-and-narrow space that leads directly into our muddy backyard? Minimize the mess, or at least make it easier to clean. Here I pulled up the runner and was ready to go. Complete with shadow.
Next step was adhesive primer. Always a good idea to prime and it is recommended. I put down two coats.

Be sure to come by my blog, Flipping the Flip, to read all the extra tips and details about this project and so many other fun ones!
Here's a great cutting tip: if you've got a shorty filler you need trimmed, butt a piece up against your finish line, lay a full piece over it and align that with the opposite edge. The edge closest to your piece in need of trimming is your exact cutting line.

For more details and information about this technique as well as a few other handy tips on cutting this material, please be sure to click the link below.
Cutting this stuff was much easier than I anticipated which is super great. Score a couple times, bend it back and it snaps apart. Nice!
Because of the nature of stairs, I couldn't get a weighted roller on there so I used a clean rag and myself. Figured hey, close enough, right?
It didn't take too long and for less than $45, we now have an easy to clean, easy to maintain floor that looks good, didn't break the bank, and helps keep the mess to a minimum.
Because we have Finn, and vinyl isn't truly slip-proof, the runner went back in. All in all I'm quite pleased!

Be sure to click the link below for lots more info and tons more projects!

Becky at Flipping the Flip

• Jan Hunt

What did you use for the nosing?

• Baba

Great Job!!

i have stairs that need a makeover....this is something I am considering!!

thank you for sharing!

what a beautiful dog!!

• Hill Decor

How did you get it to go around the rounded edge?

• Lesa

You can buy that kind of

trim at Home Depot or Lowe’s. They have different shades to match the flooring.

• Rut21378378

How did you determine the amount of planks to buy?

what did you use the compressor for???

• Cheryl Williamsen

The planks come in boxes, typically. So the calculations are not that critical. If one can’t visualize the calcs, draw it out on graph paper & multiply.

I recommend making sure all the boxes one buys are made at the same time. Meaning there will be a date/time stamp on them. This ensures consistent coloring & finish.

• Sue

I think it would have been easier and better looking to just paint the stairs. Just a suggestion for anyone who thinks they want to try this as it's too late for the DIYer here.

• Cheryl Williamsen

Many stairs have had so many scars, embedded nails, gouges, broken off staples, that it takes days to repair the scars- (I’ve done that)

only to have paint telescope every remaining flaw, as well as have paint show every scuff.

This is a much more forgiving floor finish & about 1/15 the cost of oak stair treads.

• Cookie

I live this idea! We are renting a two story home with attached mechanics shop. The landlord put in cream colored carpet! It’s disgusting. I’ve been shopping for a runner long enough to cover stairs, pretty enough for me and cheap enough for our non existant budget. This will do! Practical, pretty and inexpensive! And I think I can do it myself! Thanks so much!!

• Becky at Flipping the Flip

Excellent, I'm thrilled this could work for you! Ack, cream colored carpet, so practical, right?! This is totally doable, very easy. I hope this is a great option! Thanks so much!