Great Solution: Wood Look Vinyl Tile on a Stair

$45
1 Day

Have a highly utilized stair in your home that needs new flooring? Tight on cash? Why not try peel and stick wood look vinyl tiles for a clean look that’s easy to maintain.

Our back stair is a disaster. In fact, I'm so embarrassed by it, please don't focus on the before shot. Well other than maybe Finn.

Point being, it's a mess. Originally it was carpeted by the flipper which I ripped out immediately due to its impracticality. Since then, I painted the stairs and threw down a utilitarian runner.
My goal for this way-to-tight-and-narrow space that leads directly into our muddy backyard? Minimize the mess, or at least make it easier to clean. Here I pulled up the runner and was ready to go. Complete with shadow.
Next step was adhesive primer. Always a good idea to prime and it is recommended. I put down two coats.

Be sure to come by my blog, Flipping the Flip, to read all the extra tips and details about this project and so many other fun ones!
Here's a great cutting tip: if you've got a shorty filler you need trimmed, butt a piece up against your finish line, lay a full piece over it and align that with the opposite edge. The edge closest to your piece in need of trimming is your exact cutting line.

For more details and information about this technique as well as a few other handy tips on cutting this material, please be sure to click the link below.
Cutting this stuff was much easier than I anticipated which is super great. Score a couple times, bend it back and it snaps apart. Nice!
Because of the nature of stairs, I couldn't get a weighted roller on there so I used a clean rag and myself. Figured hey, close enough, right?
It didn't take too long and for less than $45, we now have an easy to clean, easy to maintain floor that looks good, didn't break the bank, and helps keep the mess to a minimum.
Because we have Finn, and vinyl isn't truly slip-proof, the runner went back in. All in all I'm quite pleased!

Be sure to click the link below for lots more info and tons more projects!

3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
Becky at Flipping the Flip

• Rub48271329

Hello, how did you do the stair noses ?..Looks amazing

• Lyn

I was going to do this with leftover laminate. The garage door is at the top of the stairs, so they always get dirty. Need something easy to clean. However the edges I'd have to buy if I use laminate are expensive! Apparently you didn't have that issue? There's also a cement landing at the foot. I'm wondering how well vinyl will stick to that?

• Indeed, laminate edges can be quite expensive. My steps are basic 2x12’s so I had an easy go of covering the edges, just cutting thin strips. You might need an adhesive to get the vinyl to stick to the concrete. The flooring department should be able to lead you to a good one.

• Alicia

How many boxes did you use?

• Sue

I think it would have been easier and better looking to just paint the stairs. Just a suggestion for anyone who thinks they want to try this as it's too late for the DIYer here.

• Lifestyles Homes

Many stairs have had so many scars, embedded nails, gouges, broken off staples, that it takes days to repair the scars- (I’ve done that)

only to have paint telescope every remaining flaw, as well as have paint show every scuff.

This is a much more forgiving floor finish & about 1/15 the cost of oak stair treads.

• Cookie

I live this idea! We are renting a two story home with attached mechanics shop. The landlord put in cream colored carpet! It’s disgusting. I’ve been shopping for a runner long enough to cover stairs, pretty enough for me and cheap enough for our non existant budget. This will do! Practical, pretty and inexpensive! And I think I can do it myself! Thanks so much!!

• Becky at Flipping the Flip

Excellent, I'm thrilled this could work for you! Ack, cream colored carpet, so practical, right?! This is totally doable, very easy. I hope this is a great option! Thanks so much!