Asked on Mar 16, 2017

Can I save my Ruined Oven Racks?

Janet willrettStillyoungPatty Vasil
+8

My oven racks have been through several cycles in my self cleaning oven. Is there a way to refinish them?
  • JoLeen Bolton
    JoLeen Bolton

I've never heard of one, but, consider that they still work as designed, still hold up your pans of food. The owner's manual for mine said this would happen if they were left inside during cleaning, but that it wouldn't affect their function. So it's just a matter of if you feel it necessary to be shiny to work!?
    • JoLeen Bolton
      JoLeen Bolton

I know what you mean. I wonder, if you could wrap the rungs that slide with heavy duty aluminum foil, or even crimp just the contact point with a piece of tin, would it work. I also wonder if the manufacturer would have an idea or two...I'm sure they've heard from more than a couple customers about it. I remember just lifting the shelf slightly as I pulled it out, but heavy stuff was a pain. Hope you find an answer!
    Janet Pizaro

oven racks have to be taken out of the oven for separate cleaning.
  • Meredith
    Meredith

Steel wool soap pads and a LOT of elbow grease will clean them. I made this mistake one time.
  • Ann
    Ann

So you think the finish is still there just under the dull layer. I thought I might have burnt off the finish during the cleaning process.
  • Swr18922811
    Swr18922811

Try spraying with oven cleaner and then put them in a plastic trash bag overnight or longer, then use steel wool, probably will still need some elbow grease, but oven cleaner does help.
  • Janet
    Janet

Agreed. The coat the side that slide itno the grooves with cooking spray to make them slide easier. I did this with my old oven and learned my lesson to take them out while self cleaning.
  • Patty Vasil
    Patty Vasil

We have had self cleaning ovens, I take the racks out & put them in a plastic bag w/ ammonia. Let it sit overnight. They'll be beautiful. ( make sure you put enough ammonia in there to cover your racks and rinse well.
  • Stillyoung
    Stillyoung

My stove is 20 years old and I used the self cleaning only once. I have always thought it just uses too much electricity, having to be on at high heat for so long. So, I use Easy-Off oven cleaner ( no heat required type) and take out the racks, put them on cardboard and newspaper on the floor of my front porch, spray well. Later I take them in, scrub in the sink with a brush and warm water, after wiping the excess with paper towels. Also since we get two racks and I seldom use both, I leave one out, then can switch so have a clean shiny one ready. Just don't wait so long in between cleaning that it becomes a major job and can take several spray on cleaners to get rid of the burnt on gunk.
  • Janet willrett
    Janet willrett

My oven racks are not slippery anymore the finish is off. Is there anything I can fix the racks with