Lindsey
Lindsey
  • Gulf Shores, AL

DIY Board and Batten

$50

Does anyone have “dead space” in your home that becomes a dumping ground? For me, this “dead space” was the hallway right off of our garage entrance. I decided it was time to create easy DIY BOARD AND BATTEN for a Modern Farmhouse Mudroom of my dreams!

First, let me give you a “before” picture above.
My goal with this MUDROOM BOARD AND BATTEN was:
1)lovely
2) an inviting space
3) most of all, EASY AND SIMPLE
4) functional

My goal in this project was SIMPLE; so I decided to use 1 by 4 Pine board because they are relatively cheap and easy to use. I knew I needed 8 vertical boards at 56″.
Measure the area you are working with and decide how many vertical boards (I decided on 56″ tall boards)  you will need. Measure how much material you will need for the horizontal boards.Purchase materials.Have material cut either by the hardware store or yourself. Attach the boards to drywall with construction glue and a nail gun (this required an extra hand).Caulk all the edges and patch up all the nail holes.Prime wall and boards (I used one coat). Paint 3 coats of white paint.
Add hooks!

That’s it! I love the way the BOARD AND BATTEN turned out.  It’s really nice to walk into a more organized and lovely space.

• Pine boards  (hardware store)
  • Construction glue  (hardware store)
  • Nails and nail gun  (hardware store)
Lindsey