Quick and Easy Way to Update Craigslist Sofa

I bought this sofa on Craigslist a couple years ago for my den. I chose it because it was well made, and still in good condition , neutral fabric, and most important, fit the space better than my larger more current sofa I'd been using in that room. The man I got it from told me it had been in his parents formal living room and rarely used.
It was a bit dirty and dated, but when he threw in free delivery, I was sold!

It's a great fit for my den, but I wanted to update it a bit. Plus, it definitely needed a good cleaning after being stored in that guy's garage where I found it.
I bought this cleaner, and it did a great job.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008DBRFBK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I remembered snagging these great legs at my local ReStore for a bargain and thought this just might be the update needed.

I painted the legs in a diftwood kind of finish to go with other items in my den. I did this by using two different shades of gray as well as dark brown, then white washed it with a light gray to highlight the details. I wanted it to have a rustic sort of finish.

Removed the skirt stapled to the sofa, and cleaned it well. Now it's a few inches taller and a more of a traditional/transitional look I was going for. Didn't need a new sofa yet after all!

• Paint and top coat for legs

• Clova Vaughan

How did you clean the sofa? Professionally or by what method to get grime off & what cost?

• Pamela Field

I bought my own Bissel upholstery and rug machine. I think it was about $100, but I have a dog, so I figured it was a good investment.

• Hay19311760

How I clean my beige sofa has a dirty spots?

• Sal17672249

How did you clean sofa, also how did you get legs on sofa to stay?

• Wendyrama

I imagine the sofa didn't rest on the floor. Probably in each corner a squarish brown/block leg was behind the skirt. A common method of attachment is to bore a hole into the corners on the sofa , insert a stem socket, threaded or otherwise, same on the legs, insert a long double headed screw thingy, sorry I don't know the technical name - screw one into the other. Voila. Even better the legs come with the holes and if you removed the old ones there is that hole and screw.

• Linda J Bridgeo

Just wondering also, how did u clean the sofa?
    • Pamela Field

with a great new upholstery and carpet cleaner I bought on Amazon. It was great!!

• Bonnie

It looks like you removed the skirt. Was it hard to remove the ragged edges and hanging threads from where it's stitched to the sofa?

• A. Ballard

She said she did

• Lou

She said the skirt had been stapled to the sofa, not stitched, so removing it should have been relatively easy.

• Pamela Field

Lou is right. I pulled a million and two staples. ;)

• Sandy

When someone plops down on the couch does it roll around?

• Paige Phillips

It looks as though she removed the wheels.

• 9530106

Wheels are still there, it appears. I wouldn't think rolling would be an issue, you also have the weight of the loveseat.

• Tammy Sea

It's on a rug. So probably not.

• Pamela Field

lol @ plops on the sofa. I laugh, because I can relate to that one! The wheels are still on it, and even though it rolls pretty easily, I think the rug does help keep it from rolling as readily. No problems yet, but I've only had it finished a couple days.

• Sian Evans

How tall were the legs you added to the sofa?

• Dee

very very nice....how did you clean the sofa?
    • Pamela Field

I ordered this cleaner and it's GREAT! Bissell 3624 SpotClean Professional Portable Carpet Cleaner - Corded

• Mona Michaels

I also came into possession of a good, but dirty, sofa. How did you clean it?
    • Pamela Field

I bought a great carpet-upholstery cleaner. I figure it is a great investment, and saved this sofa.

• Pamela Field

Bissell 3624 SpotClean Professional Portable Carpet Cleaner - Corded

• Annette Gutknecht

Great Job!! What kind of paint and what brand and colors did you use??
    • Pamela Field

Thanks Annette! Not sure of the brand of paint because it was part of my stash. I used 3 different colors gray light, med, and dark, and a dark brown. Two of the grays to blend with the brown, one of them as a wash for the detail.

• Dennie

The legs you put on look like they are mounted upside down. Do the legs dig into your carpet?

• Pas13195345

The first picture of the legs shows that there is a wheel on the "thinner" end. As with any amount of weight, wherever the wheels are on a carpet you will find an indentation. Move the couch and there will be new indentations to where it will be moved. A good vacuum will often pull the "flattened" indentations back up.

• Pamela Field

Pasacoagri is right.

• Mary

Who did you clean the sofa?
    • Pamela Field

Bissell 3624 SpotClean Professional Portable Carpet Cleaner - Corded got this on Amazon. It was fabulous!

• Carol darden

It looks great. And I like that you elevated it too. When you removed the skirt, did it leave staple marks or another kind of mark that you can see? I have one similar but never thought of removing the skirt. Just want to know if removing it is going to show marks where the skirt was? Thanks much.
    • Pamela Field

I suppose it was because of the weave of the fabric, but no staple marks show.

• Karen

how did you remove the skirt

• Jen O.

It says it was stapled on, so she just removed the staples and voila! ;)

• Juli

You can buy a staple puller for upholstery work.

• Pamela Field

J.VThor. Now you tell me! I just used a flathead screwdriver and needle nose pliers.

• M

what store is a "ReStore"

• Rev16241131

The Restore is an architectural salvage store run by Habitat for Humanity.

• Pamela Field

Revdeb14 is correct. I often find supplies there for my projects. (or the projects)

• Sandy

My favorite Restore sells used furniture, dishes, pictures, toilets, sinks, flooring, tiles, lighting fixtures - anything that is used in home building. Sometimes they even carry linens. Some donations are from private individuals, others are from contractors. Love that store.

• M

wonder if they are called the same in other states----i can't find any in mississippi.

• M

• M

• Catherine

They are opening the first one in Mississippi in April. Look up Habitat for Himanity restore online.

• Tina

Also look for ReUse store. It is the store for the Fuller Center for Housing.Mr. Fuller is who started Habitat for Humanity

• Cindy Patrice

I find our local Reuse store is getting a bit pricey on some items. Often have great prices on furniture, but some stuff you can buy cheaper at the dollar store brand new. Also really pricey on used doors.
    • Pamela Field

ours has gone up too. I think I just got lucky on these legs. ;)
  • Stefanie L

How did you clean it? Did you scotch-guard it, too?

• Pamela Field

I bought a portable carpet and upholstery cleaner. It worked great!

• Vickie Otten Miller

What did you clean the sofa with

• Jeannie Carle

It looks as tho the bottoms of the legs would cut into the rug??? I'm reallly liking this. I put 6"x6" posts cut to fit with carpet on the bottom for mine. One on each end and one in the center. Mine takes a lot of abuse LOL

• Patricia Bamber

A friend of mine has just finished 2 wingback chairs that she got on KiJiJI, she cleaned them first with baking soda, vinegar & a few drops of Dawn. Then when they had dried she painted them with Chalk Paint, they look great, almost like a Fuax Suede.