Old Cabinet Door to Beautiful Shelf

$20

I bought this old cabinet door at a store and it sat a long time waiting for inspiration. My friend made the decal for me. I wanted it to go on something special. Then I have a lightbulb moment to put two and two together. The outcome is beautiful!

old cabinet doir to beautiful shelf

First I started by taking the metal mesh out of the inside of the cabinet. It was not easy and I actually broke a piece of the glass taking it out!

old cabinet doir to beautiful shelf

I then attached the decal to the glass!!! A new experience for me lol.

old cabinet doir to beautiful shelf

I then dry brushed some color on the frame as it was a bit dull. I used two colors I had in my stash.

old cabinet doir to beautiful shelf

I also used a little bit of the paint too dry brush on the metal area to tone it down a little bit it was a little bit too goldd for me.

old cabinet doir to beautiful shelf

Then the knob.

old cabinet doir to beautiful shelf

You can't really see it too bad but I did break the glass but repaired it with really good glass glue.

old cabinet doir to beautiful shelf

Here's the glue I used to repair the break

old cabinet doir to beautiful shelf

We then got a raw piece of wood from Home Depot to make the Shelf.

old cabinet doir to beautiful shelf

My husband stained it a nice brown color. We were going to actually try to mimic the color of the window but ended up keeping it this color.

old cabinet doir to beautiful shelf

He attached to the Shelf using liquid nail and his nail gun and voila!!!

old cabinet doir to beautiful shelf

I even made these little jars with sand, jars, and sea grass I had around the house. I wanted to make sure no one would see the crack in the glass :) Hope you enjoyed this project! Check us out on Facebook for more diy ideas at Sierra Stars Furniture and Gifts. Thank you!!!

• Marlene H

What kind of paint was used?

• I actually have a million cans of paint at my house that I get from various places lol!! I'm a paint hoarder LOL. This particular one I believe was a throwback color that I got on the clearance Shelf at Home Depot. If you take this picture there you can probably color match it!

• Tri32647725

Think this is a project I can do w/o losing patience. I think the contrast in the 2 colors is what makes it pop a bit more. How did you affix the shelf to wall?