Melissa Woods
Melissa Woods
  • Saint Joseph, MN

Ottoman Makeover

$20

I found this piece of furniture at a garage sale last year and loved that it had some storage as well as rolled on casters. I thought it would be the perfect candidate for an ottoman makeover. This is what it looked like when I bought it (for $8).
ottoman makeover
Complete with cobwebs...
ottoman makeover
With help from my little lady, the hardware was removed to begin the ottoman makeover.
ottoman makeover
We cleaned the casters and handles with acetone to get the red paint off and then sprayed painted them silver.
ottoman makeover
Once the piece underwent  my signature painting method, I was ready to upholster. I envisioned this ottoman makeover including a comfy cushion on top. I used leftover foam I had from those  toy storage crates I made last year and batting to layer a cushion on the ottoman.
ottoman makeover
I did have to slice that egg crate foam in half using a serrated knife because it was too thick. The fabric remnant I picked up for $2.50 at a thrift store. Before starting, I ironed the fabric smooth. First I lay the fabric down, then the batting, then the flat side of the foam, and last, a piece of plywood cut to the size of the ottoman.
ottoman makeover
Fold it up and staple!
ottoman makeover
When the cushion was done, I simply used liquid nails to glue it down on top of the ottoman.
ottoman makeover
ottoman makeover
I added a soft sheepskin rug to amp up the comfy factor even more!
ottoman makeover
The ottoman makeover was definitely a success! Here’s the before and after…
ottoman makeover
Thanks for reading! Don’t forget to come over to my blog and check out more DIY projects I've done. I'm in the middle of building some modern bookshelves right now that I plan to share soon!
Melissa Woods

• Margaret Green

How much weight can it support? The bottom shelf looks like it might be sagging.

• Kim

It's half-inch plywood. It'll hold a lot!

• Sue Pircio

Could you please give me the dimensions of your piece? It would be easy to replicate, as it's only plywood, and would be perfect in my living room!

• Brenda Johnson

It looks like his 16 to 24 and maybe 16 High with the wheels on it looks higher. Hope this helps

• Pamela Arnold

Absolutely going to do come spring! It is absolutely beautiful and better still, well instructed and so easy! Thank you for sharing.👍😁

• Ginger Grant

Not sure I would have paid $8 for it, but with what you did to it looks like a million bucks. Its a perfect match to your sofa.