Hanging Egg Vases

$25

Don't throw away your egg shells! Did you know they could serve as cute little vases? I know! I LOVE having fresh flowers in my house and finding new ways to display them is always fun. For a super fresh spring take I decided to use eggs and hang them with ribbon, filling them with beautiful fresh blooms. These hanging egg vases use materials you most likely have lying around the house and make for the cutest little window display!
hanging egg vases
SUPPLIES:
-Flowers
-Eggs
-Ribbon
-Glue
-Scissors
hanging egg vases
STEP 1: Crack your egg toward the top of the shell all the way around the circumference of the egg.
hanging egg vases
STEP 2: Peel away the top of the egg and pour out the inside into a bowl. (I just used mine for an omelet so they didn't go to waste)
hanging egg vases
STEP 3: Cut a long strand of ribbon so that there is enough length to wrap around your egg, but also to give some hanging length.
hanging egg vases
STEP 4: Grab your glue and draw a line of glue around the egg making sure it is centered.
hanging egg vases
STEP 5: Place your ribbon over the glue line and press it into place. Set it aside to dry.
hanging egg vases
STEP 6: Grab your blooms and cut them down so they are the correct height for the shell they will inhabit.
hanging egg vases
STEP 7: Arrange your florals in your egg shell.
hanging egg vases
Now fill the egg up with water and just hang them where you would like. You can hang them with thumb tacks or cup hooks or whatever works!
hanging egg vases
Here are a couple of close ups... How cute are these little guys?
hanging egg vases
I gave a bit of variety between the arrangements and the ribbons, but you could even do something uniform and it would look lovely as well! Maybe even black and white... Oh the options...
hanging egg vases
I may have to keep these eggs full all spring!

Check out our category for more awesome vase projects!

• Flowers  (Trader Joe's)
  • Eggs  (Grocery)
  • Ribbon  (Local Craft Store)

• Abby

if I use a sealer on the egg first, would I be able to grow real flowers in the shells ??
    • Teriberrydean

Sometime ago my mother in law had a shellacked egg shell with a wire holder that she had a string of pearls succulent growing in her kitchen window. I always admired it. I think I’ll make one, maybe adding some designs in marker before sealing it.

• Karen Wilcox

What would you suggest to reinforce the eggs so they don't break? Eggshells are very delicate, and wouldn't last long around here.
    • Victory Carlock

I was thinking of using the egg shells they sale at Easter time that are fake. They have all kinds of variety and would be more durable than real shells. I would use the real shells for my other plants and compost for gardening.
  • Robyn

These would also be cute with an airplant in it. Creative idea!
    • Jewellmartin

An air plant would be great, or parts of herbs, since they root quickly. The albumin left in the egg should be super fertilizer, too. 🍚

• Susan Austin

I would use plastic easter eggs, they do come apart and storing them away after holiday would be much easier and they come in all colors. Do love your idea and these are adorable.

• Irene

I always recycle egg shells to fertilize my plants, and my Bonsai. This one is genius. Thank You.. for posting 😘👌♥️ And btw, I’ve seen a lot of postings but this is my first to give my comment. You’re clever!